Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you think Graham Potter will be our manager at the start of next season?

Do you think Graham Potter will be our manager at the start of next season

• Total voters

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I dont think TB will tell anything to Chris, but if he does have complaints IMO Chris could always use the "you sacked me three years ago, what the hell do you want me to do" argument.

LOL! My bad - embarrassingly corrected!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There is absolutely no way Tony Bloom will get rid of him, even if we lose every remaining game this season (and we could, though almost certainly won't).

All the time that cutting our losses and cashing in on our good players is prioritised over results, Potter will be here if he so chooses.

I think it’s a strong possibility - if not inevitable / that he’d be sacked if we lost 14 out of our final 15 games of a season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I dont think TB will tell anything to Chris, but if he does have complaints IMO Chris could always use the "you sacked me three years ago, what the hell do you want me to do" argument.

I would imagine that Bloom still uses Hughton as a confidente, a sounding board, especially on players available in the Dutch divisions.

How else are we going to know who’s the next Locadia or Jahanbakhsh.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I heard something in the week Potter wants a meeting in the summer with the top brass about the current direction of the club. To be fair to Potter he wasn’t backed in January for a final push into the top ten I also would be annoyed if I was him.

Graham Potter ready for key discussions with Brighton

Head coach Potter said: “I think we need to sit down generally and have a chat about which direction we are going, how we can help the team and how we can help us improve.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/20051393.graham-potter-ready-key-discussions-brighton/

Was someone reading the Argus to you ? :wink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it’s a strong possibility - if not inevitable / that he’d be sacked if we lost 14 out of our final 15 games of a season.

Most other clubs would have sacked the manager / coach after one point and one goal in seven games. Leeds got rid of the "best coach in the world". Norwich are probably only keeping Smith for next season, having given Farke the push earlier, Therefore I can only conclude that we are different as a club, or have other priorities, or both.

Potter has some real strengths in terms of the overall make up of the club. Does he play the youngsters? Yes, where he can. Does his style improve players' technical ability? Yes, it probably does, Does he take some credit for getting £50 million for White and £13 for Burn? Yup. Does he win enough games of football? No, no he doesn't. Am I bored rigid of our home games? Yes, yes I am.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's an interesting question.

My instinct is yes, because it doesn't feel like Bloom is keen to sack him. Winless for 12 games through october/november, 6 losses in a row. Not a peep of discontent from the club/senior people in the club. .

Bloom rarely gives a running commentary on results / form. Rightly so. Barber called the recent run “not what we’d hoped for or expected” in the programme last week. (Although he asked for fans to see the “bigger” picture)
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2555741/read-paul-barbers-programme-notes

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Most other clubs would have sacked the manager / coach after one point and one goal in seven games. Leeds got rid of the "best coach in the world". Norwich are probably only keeping Smith for next season, having given Farke the push earlier, Therefore I can only conclude that we are different as a club, or have other priorities, or both.

Potter has some real strengths in terms of the overall make up of the club. Does he play the youngsters? Yes, where he can. Does his style improve players' technical ability? Yes, it probably does, Does he take some credit for getting £50 million for White and £13 for Burn? Yup. Does he win enough games of football? No, no he doesn't. Am I bored rigid of our home games? Yes, yes I am.

Brentford, Burnley, Southampton to name a few have had similar poor runs this season/ last season and stuck by their coach .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Genuinely I think as a club we’re run very similarly to Burnley. Football style the only difference.

Refusing to join CP and others in paying substantial wages to get game-changers (that includes loanees), and loyalty to a manager who chisels out very rare wins, accepting that as a price worth paying.

If Bloom sacks Potter, I’ll be proved wrong.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Potter knows proper money needs to be spent to progress the club.
If he doesn’t get the summer transfer budget he’s looking for, he’ll walk.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Brentford, Burnley, Southampton to name a few have had similar poor runs this season/ last season and stuck by their coach .

But have they specifically lost six out of seven, scoring one goal and drawing at home to the worst team the PL has seen since Norwich were last promoted? I'm talking about a very specific set of results, not "similar runs". And that comes on top of other poor spells. Just before the first lockdown we were dropping like a stone and ended up winning one home game in the whole of the 2020 calendar year. Yet he seems untouchable and I can only conclude it's because of everything else he does apart from results, whereas CH kept a very poor squad up two seasons running and paid for it because he didn't trust the youngsters to dig us out of trouble and chose to defend without the ball rather than with it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Potter knows proper money needs to be spent to progress the club.
If he doesn’t get the summer transfer budget he’s looking for, he’ll walk.

I can't see Potter walking away from the best job in football he's ever likely to get, in the most supportive environment he's ever likely to encounter. Every payday he doesn't walk secures his family's financial future that little bit more. And fair play for that. So he'll just keep on saying Yes and playing the hand he's been dealt. He'd be mad to walk IMHO

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But have they specifically lost six out of seven, scoring one goal and drawing at home to the worst team the PL has seen since Norwich were last promoted? I'm talking about a very specific set of results, not "similar runs". And that comes on top of other poor spells. Just before the first lockdown we were dropping like a stone and ended up winning one home game in the whole of the 2020 calendar year. Yet he seems untouchable and I can only conclude it's because of everything else he does apart from results, whereas CH kept a very poor squad up two seasons running and paid for it because he didn't trust the youngsters to dig us out of trouble and chose to defend without the ball rather than with it.

If Bruno Lage or Viera was our manager this season with this squad, do you think either would’ve delivered more wins?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If Bruno Lage or Viera was our manager this season with this squad, do you think either would’ve delivered more wins?

You can never know the answer to those questions. There are simply too many variables. It's like when you miss an easy chance and someone says "it would have been a different game if we'd scored that", well, d'uh, of course, but not only because of the score and tactical changes but because the opposition would now be starting with a kick off from the middle instead of a goal kick or in transition having won the rebound or whatever. Flutter of butterflies wings and all that.

Would either of those two played Burn to the extent where our back up centre back / left back was attracting big money. Would they have managed Lamptey's comeback differently, binned off Connolly earlier, started with Moder last week, meaning he might not have got that ACL, dealt with the Bissouma difficulties in another way?

If we're just talking tactics though I personally think both would have a better home record than Potter and it's likely we'd have lost a few of those 1-1s and won a couple of them too.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

This season Burnley had a 1 win in 21. !!
Brentford had a 1 draw and 7 defeats in 8.
Saints last year had a spell of 1 draw and 8 defeats in 9 and some 0-9 defeats.
That seems comparable to me.
My view is it’s rare but there are other clubs that stick by coaches who go on very poor runs so presumably there are other factors that keep them in work (longer term project, alternatives, not Watford) Nonetheless imo Bloom will only persist with it for so long…

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can never know the answer to those questions. There are simply too many variables. It's like when you miss an easy chance and someone says "it would have been a different game if we'd scored that", well, d'uh, of course, but not only because of the score and tactical changes but because the opposition would now be starting with a kick off from the middle instead of a goal kick or in transition having won the rebound or whatever. Flutter of butterflies wings and all that.

Would either of those two played Burn to the extent where our back up centre back / left back was attracting big money. Would they have managed Lamptey's comeback differently, binned off Connolly earlier, started with Moder last week, meaning he might not have got that ACL, dealt with the Bissouma difficulties in another way?

If we're just talking tactics though I personally think both would have a better home record than Potter and it's likely we'd have lost a few of those 1-1s and won a couple of them too.

Very true.

One thing I would guess is that Viera would’ve had very different transfer/squad requirement discussions with TB/DA/PW last summer.

To build a midfield in his very mould, forwards with pace.

Imho.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Double post

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think a lot may depend on Ashworth's replacement. I've voted no.

I think Graham genuinely thinks he is overachieving with us at present, but he has shown an inability with us so far to change his style and ethos to grind results another way.

I think if we were to go, it'd be a resignation at the end of the season while his stock is still high, in the hopes of picking up a job at an Everton type club.

TL;Dr - "hit the ceiling, a refresh and 'the time is right for a change'"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Very true.

One thing I would guess is that Viera would’ve had very different transfer/squad requirement discussions with TB/DA/PW last summer.

To build a midfield in his very mould, forwards with pace.

Imho.

Yes, that point is key. If we'd had Vierra the squad would have been somewhat different for sure. Palace did an excellent rebuilding job and it's just lucky for us that they lose Gallagher at the end of the season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, that point is key. If we'd had Vierra the squad would have been somewhat different for sure. Palace did an excellent rebuilding job and it's just lucky for us that they lose Gallagher at the end of the season.

I would imagine they have a list of CM replacements, on a matrix requiring 5 out of 5 for:

Pace and mobility, over 90 minutes
Power
Can score and assist
Attitude

I hope Winstanley/Potter are like minded and firm with that in discussions with the Board.

Assuming Bissouma’s away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here