Do you like the Royal family?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you like the Royal family?

• Yes. They do so much for this country.

Votes: 79 72.5%
  • No, I am a lettuce eating lefty.

Votes: 30 27.5%

• Total voters

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
to go off on a slight tangent it would be interesting to hear what most people do travel to Britain for. I would imagine London is the main draw. History another. Shame about the weather, don't think enough people abroad appreciate quite how beautiful the UK is.

The National Conker Championships in Cumbria, surely !!

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Would Buck House have the same attraction if it wasn't a Royals residence with no soldiers outside ?
The whole tourist attraction is the pomp and pageantry that the Royal family bring, anyone that has witnessed the crowds of foreign tourists watching it will know that it's a big attraction, without the royal family none of that would exist.
It's not the Royal family, it's what the royal family brings.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Would Buck House have the same attraction if it wasn't a Royals residence with no soldiers outside ?

yes it would. its not like people dont turn up there when they are away. though the changing of the guard is probably a bigger draw.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
yes it would. its not like people dont turn up there when they are away. though the changing of the guard is probably a bigger draw.

You're missing my point, if the royals were no more then there would be none of the pageantry that go with them, I do not think it would have the same kind of pull as it does now.
The tourists come for the whole tradition not just for a glimpse of the queen.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
She's the boss - literally

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Nice one, load the f***ing question why dont you.

OK, like the royals, no, not the lazy shower that call themselves princes and princesses. But Liz and Phil, of course I do. I would love to get phil down the pub and get a few pints down him, I reckon he would have me in stitches. Liz has that kindly old lady look about her, makes me want to ask her if she want anything down the shop while i'm there.

However, that my friend is a different question than asking if i want them as unelected leaders of the country that i love so much.

Some posters have lost me a bit, why the hell would we scrap the changing of the guards the state opening of Parliement etc? The tourists love it, I love it and we would still have a head of state, probably taking up a couple of rooms in Buck house so it would still be guarded by the redcoats, why scrap that?

Oh, since when have lefties eaten lettuce? we eat meat because we work so hard.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
You don't have to be a lefty to be anti-Royal surely?

This. Bit of a biased poll choice i think! You don't have to be a 'lefty' to be a Republican! The fact that the Queen invited the leader of Bahrain to her recent dinner just makes me more of a Republican to be honest. Lets face it, the royal lineages around the world didn't aquire their vast wealth and power through hard work and toil did they..they're annointed by god apparently..so obviously they're superior. I might try that one!

Each to there own though! I respect a Royalists opinion...i just happen not to agree!

Oh...and by the way...i f***ing hate lettuce!

Dandyman

In London village.
I don't think the OP even thought about Jacobites AT ALL when he made this poll. :nono:

A bunch of Italian crypto-fascists would be even worse than a bunch of parasitic Huns.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do you like the Royal family ?

In a word - No.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Would Buck House have the same attraction if it wasn't a Royals residence with no soldiers outside ?.

Buckingham Palace - 402000 million visits (in 2009)

Versailles - 3 millions visits ( 6 million if you include the gardens )

So the answer is yes. Buckingham Palace would easily attract more visitors if it ceased to be a Royal Residence and the entire place was opened up as a tourist attraction.

"Royal Palaces" - generate more money when the residents have gone, even the fervent Royalist would find that very very hard to argue against.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Should Britain have any unelected leaders or heads of state in the 21st Century?

I wish we could have some sort of opt out. Maybe given them charity status and let those that want them, pay for them.

My answer to your question would be a firm - No.

Your proposal seems like the perfect solution. I'd opt out of that one straight away and the flag wavers could chuck in as much as they like. I quite like the idea of collection buckets for the Royals so that those that want to keep them in their opulent life styles could chuck in all their loose change and maybe even set up a direct debit too.

I wonder what the call could be by the bucket holders ? - "Support the rich and needy". "Help those to help themselves...to all your spare change". ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports