Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we want to target the Carling cup? Or promotion?

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Why the f*** do we have some who get WELL carried away on here?

who the hell cares? isn't just the fact that we're even talking about promotion to the premiership or whether we should concentrate on the cup (both of which are achievable in the sense that one promotion means we're in the prem and we are still in the cup) fantastic? you can be as realistic as you like (and, to be honest with you, i'm right there with you) but football is (cliche time) about passion...the heart ruling the head...getting carried away with success...being disappointed....saying well there's always next year... i for one am enjoying this wild ride and the possibly over-inflated expectations is all part of the fun. who would have thought 15, 10 or even 5 years ago that, come the end of the 2011/12 is season, some fans will feel slightly disappointed if we don't get promoted to the prem or if we don't win a nice shiny cup? boom-shack-a-lack

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
who the hell cares? isn't just the fact that we're even talking about promotion to the premiership or whether we should concentrate on the cup (both of which are achievable in the sense that one promotion means we're in the prem and we are still in the cup) fantastic? you can be as realistic as you like (and, to be honest with you, i'm right there with you) but football is (cliche time) about passion...the heart ruling the head...getting carried away with success...being disappointed....saying well there's always next year... i for one am enjoying this wild ride and the possibly over-inflated expectations is all part of the fun. who would have thought 15, 10 or even 5 years ago that, come the end of the 2011/12 is season, some fans will feel slightly disappointed if we don't get promoted to the prem or if we don't win a nice shiny cup? boom-shack-a-lack

Oh yeh i THINK the dream to myself all the time - but wouldn't want to put it on here - i didnt last season -i wasn't celebrating till we'd mathmatically done it. I think 4 games in and even talking about promotion seriously is a tad too much.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Because we have played six games and would have won them all if it wasn't for a last minute equaliser on Saturday.

People can see the potential in the team and the squad. It's not a done deal but lets not pretend that promotion is pie in the sky either.

Yes but concentrate on WINNING the Carling Cup?!

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
we will not get either .......a decent carling cup run would add a couple of mill to the kitty , if we go up i don't think we will be competitive yet , play offs this season one more decent fixture in the carling , fourth round exit f.a cup , get to play off's ....have to be happy with that although these boys seem to be full of surprises....!!

I think Gus has stated he intends to play strong teams in both cups as well as the league.If we are good enough to get promoted we may keep this squad together but if we don`t then the likes of Dunk and Noone will be off to the premiership.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

I can assure you 1000% that Tony Bloom and Gus Poyet arnt planning on staying in this division for four or five seasons,so why should we be?..You got to go on what you see. We beat a strong Sunderland side last nite and we are a championship side and Gus still wants at least two more players.We will be in the shake up come May, I would bet my bollocks on it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ridiculous to think about promotion as a realistic possibility?

Probably and not only because it's too early but because at this stage the club aren't thinking about it. Are they?

Put the clock back a year and we were already out of the league cup and soon the paintpot trophy too, mainly because Gus wasn't interested in them - he already had his focus on league promotion as his target for the season, something that was all too soon to become evident in his team selections for the FA Cup. And didn't that cause some kerfuffle among the fans!

This season he has said he wants to do well in the cups and his team selections have reflected that. The natural assumption is that he doesn't expect cup success to interfere with possible promotion as that is not his target or his expectation.

Of course another way of looking at it is that he has learned from last year that playing a weakened side (or simply not caring) in the cups disrupts the overall direction of the whole club and ultimately impacts adversely on the league effort. Our form certainly suffered last year with the chopping and changing of players and tactics in the early rounds of the FA Cup.

So maybe Gus is thinking that doing well in one competition will lead to our doing well in the other and while that construction is available fans will continue to dream the dream. And why not?

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
If we go up to the Premiership Tony would get all his money back via next years Sky money and the various parachute payments.

TB

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove

What's the point of supporting your club if you can't get carried away when we are doing well ?

I go to work for realism - the albion is for hoping and dreaming !

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I say we should go bang at it to get up & why not-

But given the lengthening injury list,i'd say a run in the cup with a top half finish.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What's the point of supporting your club if you can't get carried away when we are doing well ?

I go to work for realism - the albion is for hoping and dreaming !

As i said in other post I hope and dream to myself all the time but don't think we should be talking about promotion just yet LET ALONE WINNING the f***ing Carling Cup. I was just talking to the thread starter - didn't read much else. We need to make sure we stay up this season first and formost - then when we have we can look at kicking on for mid table... Then if we look good for that we can start to dream...

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Premiership for sure, most people forget about the Carling cup a week or so after it's been won.

If someone offered me today a Carling Cup win or a Championship play off place, i'd without doubt take the latter (personally). A season to try out the big time, yes it'd be expensive, but it's the ultimate goal for all football clubs of our stature.

Oh, and think what those parachute payments would do to help pay off TB for the stadium!

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Do we want promotion: Higher ticket prices, huge transfer fees, spoilt players, probably a relegation battle. Or should we TFT and win the Carling cup (and then the Europa Cup!!). Opinions?

We are Brighton, Super Brighton,we are Brighton, from the South..Yes we want promotion that way we keep our players and we get loads of fcuking money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here