Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we want to target the Carling cup? Or promotion?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I do worry about reaching the Premiership in the very near future for a couple of reasons. I think it will be too soon for our squad and a year or two fighting it out at the top half of the Championship while we slowly build and strengthen our squad would not be a bad thing. Then there's the selfish reasons that I probably wouldn't be able to afford to get a premiership season ticket (obviously completely guessing that there will be a substantial price hike, and I may be completely wrong) as well as away games going up again. I'm not saying that Brighton being in the Prem would be rubbish whatsoever, just that I will start to feel less attached to it if I can't go as regulalry as I have done for the last 20 odd years. As I say, it's completely selfish of me.

Personally, I go along with GP's quoted stance on this that promotion to the Premiershi-, this season, may be too soon.(although I am sure he would take it)

However, the further we progress in the C. Cup will give us (hopefully) opportunities to mix it with more premiershi- teams which can only be a good thing for our squad development.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The WHOLE aim of football is to get as high as you can.

I can't STAND people who say they don't want prem football. Thats WANTING us to not reach the best we can. madness.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Adding to that. I remember Forest CONTINUALLY saying they didnt want to go up too soon. They got their wish, and now they look even less likely for promotion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And to do that follow these simple rules. When the balls down our end kick it up thier end when the balls up thier end kick it in the net
I'd offer to be your assistant, but I doubt you'll need one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I remember Forest CONTINUALLY saying they didnt want to go up too soon. They got their wish, and now they look even less likely for promotion.
Obviously if the chance is ever there, the manager and players have to take it. But hyperthetically, if we were given the choice of going up this season, or going up next season (guaranteed), which would we choose? I'd go for a good finish this season, and promotion next season. Not only would it help us build our squad, and allow us time to add more seats, but the happiness would be spread over a few years and every year would be great and appreciated.

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
I will be happy with either , Im sure Gus will play his strongest possible line up where possible and target each game as it comes be it cup or league .
Promotion would be great but a steady mid table position would suffice for this season .

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
One season in the prem would give us £60m and even if we came back down we woud have parachute payments.. Decent for the club, but you only have to look at QPR and the difference in ticket prices this season over last.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Adding to that. I remember Forest CONTINUALLY saying they didnt want to go up too soon. They got their wish, and now they look even less likely for promotion.

What you say is correct, whereas I accept it may be too soon for us, I agree that the opportunity if it comes along needs to be grasped with all hands (and feet) because you can never say "Oh well the season after next will be the ideal time" as circumstances may not at that time be appropriate.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Obviously if the chance is ever there, the manager and players have to take it. But hyperthetically, if we were given the choice of going up this season, or going up next season (guaranteed), which would we choose? I'd go for a good finish this season, and promotion next season. Not only would it help us build our squad, and allow us time to add more seats, but the happiness would be spread over a few years and every year would be great and appreciated.

I take your point (especially if promotion next year was guaranteed), but very similar things were being said this time last year about going up to the Championship; i.e. for the first season at the Amex it would be better to have a winning season in L1 than a relegation fight in the Championship.

As it turned out, our players got better and then we bought more players on top of that and we're doing fine. Don't see why that couldn't happen again (though I know the jump to the Prem is bigger).

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Was thinking the same thing last night. I concluded that promotion was number 1, but to do that you need confidence and to keep winning games. The last thing we needed was a 4-0 pasting, so we should play each game to win. It just won't matter so much if we lose in the cup (as long as we perform well, and are not hammered).

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Was thinking the same thing last night. I concluded that promotion was number 1, but to do that you need confidence and to keep winning games. The last thing we needed was a 4-0 pasting, so we should play each game to win. It just won't matter so much if we lose in the cup (as long as we perform well, and are not hammered).

As long as we never get hammered at Upton Park !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I take your point (especially if promotion next year was guaranteed)
Yeah I'm only talking hyperthetically, it's a tall ask to get there in the next few years.
but very similar things were being said this time last year about going up to the Championship; i.e. for the first season at the Amex it would be better to have a winning season in L1 than a relegation fight in the Championship.
I take your point too, but I assume less people said that. I desperately wanted promotion, the jump from L1 to championship is nothing like the just up to the prem. Not many people here expected us to be the whiping boys this year.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Premiership is the be all and end all of this club now, why do you think Tony Bloom has pumped so much money in and the day we settle for showing no ambition will be the day Gus and Tanno are off.

true - but i think Bloom recognises it may take a few seasons, so for this season i'd suggest promotion isn't the be all and end all - but competing for it certainly is, in order to keep Gus interested

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why the f*** do we have some who get WELL carried away on here?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why the f*** do we have some who get WELL carried away on here?
Because we have played six games and would have won them all if it wasn't for a last minute equaliser on Saturday.

People can see the potential in the team and the squad. It's not a done deal but lets not pretend that promotion is pie in the sky either.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Because we have played six games and would have won them all if it wasn't for a last minute equaliser on Saturday.

People can see the potential in the team and the squad. It's not a done deal but lets not pretend that promotion is pie in the sky either.

Simster I've just noticed your signature. Brilliant! Which genius bluebird came out with that?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The gate receipts alone must have easily topped half a million quid last night. The catering and club shop probably added another 50% on top of that. Forces the club to take the cup competitions seriously with these kind of figures up for grabs. Some of that money will find its way into the fighting fund for promotion. Everybody wins!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here