Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

do we have a plan B ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
In a game that was winnable and may have had a bearing on making the play offs or not?

Well he's had his go now. Gus knows more about football than anybody on here and I trust him, but last night was a tad bizzare.

I thought it was bizarre as well, Barnsley was the game to try him out in, not last night.

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
In a game that was winnable and may have had a bearing on making the play offs or not?

Well he's had his go now. Gus knows more about football than anybody on here and I trust him, but last night was a tad bizzare.

I think we'd blown it before last night to be honest .

And I think he's made some strange selections over the season as a whole but got away with it. I dont understand why he plays Gonzales and not JFC if he's experimenting....

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
This is a very odd thread when we've just come back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. Surely that, more than anything else, would suggest that we not only have a 'plan B', but it works.

Watch Barca against Chelsea tonight, see what they do if they get in trouble. It wont be anything other than decent passing football.

The Gus way is THE way. Our problem is that we only have the quality of players to do it as a play-off chasing Chamionship team. Hopefully next season that is going to change. Have a look at Swansea, that is what we are aiming for.

What I meant was go to plan B before we went further behind as I thought we were getting rinsed in the 1st half.

And I love the Gus way too. And thats a good point about the players as well.

The only problem with comparing us to Barca is I think they're pretty much a one-off?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
You are right,cookies63 although mathmatically we could still reach the playoffs it was most unlikely, I had hoped he would play an attacking line up and give us a real treat.

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
You are right,cookies63 although mathmatically we could still reach the playoffs it was most unlikely, I had hoped he would play an attacking line up and give us a real treat.

Yeah maybe with JFC on the left and Vicente in a free role off of two strikers?? 4-4-2 in a diamond? Bridcutt holding and the full backs bombing on??? Not sure if he'd do it v Birmingham tho!

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Unfortunately, you don't at the moment. With 3/4 additions however you could. We have three different 'plans' even if you all say we hoof it to Lambert. Our first plan is to work the ball around, and get the ball and people into positions that we can get the ball into the box. The second is to move Lallana central from the left wing and play 3-4-1-2 and play compact football through the middle of the pitch and get the fullbacks to bomb on to provide an outlet and width. Finally we'll go long up to Lambert if nothing is working and get Lallana and the other forward moving round off him.

For a different system I believe you need one quality CM to play alongside Bridcutt and one other so you can go three in the middle and bring vicente/buckley/lua lua in behind the forwards. A quality LB to get forward and provide assists down the left. I see Calderon bomb on, but not really Painter. Finally you need a player who can win and hold up ball a bit like Lambert does so the likes of CMS, Buckley, Lua Lua can buzz around off him, maybe someone like Madine or Novak? Other than this a few more additional signings could be made to bolster your defence, Maybe Aaron Martin from us? I can't see him stepping up to the Prem atm as he hasn't had the game time but he has shown when he's stepped in this season he's more than competent at the back, and at 6'5 would provide you with some presence.

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
Unfortunately, you don't at the moment. With 3/4 additions however you could. We have three different 'plans' even if you all say we hoof it to Lambert. Our first plan is to work the ball around, and get the ball and people into positions that we can get the ball into the box. The second is to move Lallana central from the left wing and play 3-4-1-2 and play compact football through the middle of the pitch and get the fullbacks to bomb on to provide an outlet and width. Finally we'll go long up to Lambert if nothing is working and get Lallana and the other forward moving round off him.

For a different system I believe you need one quality CM to play alongside Bridcutt and one other so you can go three in the middle and bring vicente/buckley/lua lua in behind the forwards. A quality LB to get forward and provide assists down the left. I see Calderon bomb on, but not really Painter. Finally you need a player who can win and hold up ball a bit like Lambert does so the likes of CMS, Buckley, Lua Lua can buzz around off him, maybe someone like Madine or Novak? Other than this a few more additional signings could be made to bolster your defence, Maybe Aaron Martin from us? I can't see him stepping up to the Prem atm as he hasn't had the game time but he has shown when he's stepped in this season he's more than competent at the back, and at 6'5 would provide you with some presence.

Thanks for that..intelligent post and some very good points. I think Vokes could do the Lambert job. Centre midfield is poor we need to strengthen there defo!

By the way, whats it like coming second all the time???

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
With the way we were passing in the first half I don't think any style of play would of worked..

This

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
cookie63;4864734 I think Vokes could do the Lambert job. [/QUOTE said:
For Bournemouth again perhaps but hopefully not for us as he isn't an improvement on what already have and IMHO would be a waste of money that could be spent on an attacking central midfielder.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Thanks for that..intelligent post and some very good points. I think Vokes could do the Lambert job. Centre midfield is poor we need to strengthen there defo!

By the way, whats it like coming second all the time???

Not too fussed so long as we're going in an upward direction! Yes it would be nice to win the thing but not bothered if we don't.

FWIW, I think we'll win the league if we win on Saturday.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not too fussed so long as we're going in an upward direction! Yes it would be nice to win the thing but not bothered if we don't.

FWIW, I think we'll win the league if we win on Saturday.

You have done very well this season, and ANYONE who gets Fat Sam a spluttering and excuse making, given the RIDICULOUS budget bequeathed to him by the dildo salesmen gets a :thumbsup: from me

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
You have done very well this season, and ANYONE who gets Fat Sam a spluttering and excuse making, given the RIDICULOUS budget bequeathed to him by the dildo salesmen gets a :thumbsup: from me

They're already advertising play off tickets on their website apparently :lol:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Were you there last night? We played LOTS of long balls up the wing and through the centre. That was plan B.

This. CMS' touch wasn't that bad he was touching them down with his chest and his foot whilst also winning it in the air, but I do feel we played so much better after Painter was taken off.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The only problem with comparing us to Barca is I think they're pretty much a one-off?

They aren't, they just happen to be the best at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here