Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

do we have a plan B ?

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
The thing I was frustrated about last night is the fact that we dont seem to have a 'plan B' if things aren't working.
I'd love to watch decent passing football every week but you can't always do it.
Last season in League 1 it worked against weaker, less professional teams. this season teams have had us watched and are stopping us playing out from the back by playing a high line and pushing 3 strikers up onto our back 4. Bridcutt is getting the ball on the edge of his own box with no-where to go whereas last year he was on the edge of the centre circle with loads of options,
If teams stop us playing we need to adapt during the game and force them back by maybe trying to play a few balls into the channels or at least behind the full backs. If we don't they just sit on the half way line as Watford did . a quick striker may help?

Tactical rant over. Sorry.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The thing I was frustrated about last night is the fact that we dont seem to have a 'plan B' if things aren't working.
I'd love to watch decent passing football every week but you can't always do it.
Last season in League 1 it worked against weaker, less professional teams. this season teams have had us watched and are stopping us playing out from the back by playing a high line and pushing 3 strikers up onto our back 4. Bridcutt is getting the ball on the edge of his own box with no-where to go whereas last year he was on the edge of the centre circle with loads of options,
If teams stop us playing we need to adapt during the game and force them back by maybe trying to play a few balls into the channels or at least behind the full backs. If we don't they just sit on the half way line as Watford did . a quick striker may help?

Hmm..do u not think CMS is quick?

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
are you sure you go to games? hes prob the quickest at the club and 1 of the fastest in the championship :facepalm:

lol...ok....Then we obviously dont use his strengths then do we??? Ive been to most home games from the north stand and i can count on one hand the amount of times he's been put through 1 v 1 on the keeper....
The point of the thread was the lack of variation really.....

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
lol...ok....Then we obviously dont use his strengths then do we??? Ive been to most home games from the north stand and i can count on one hand the amount of times he's been put through 1 v 1 on the keeper....
The point of the thread was the lack of variation really.....

Were you there last night? We played LOTS of long balls up the wing and through the centre. That was plan B.

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
Were you there last night? We played LOTS of long balls up the wing and through the centre. That was plan B.

Err...Yeah....We played NO balls in the channels 1st half (well maybe 1) That's why we were 2 0 down and struggling to get out of our own half. 2nd half gonzales was obviously told to get it wide asap and kicked the ball wide early to either wings about 5 times...Getting behind them is why we scored our first and forcing them back by getting behind them is how calderon had so much room on the right to get the 2nd!! FFS
What I'm saying is why does it take a half time break to get the players to do this? Do they not go out with a plan B if Plan A doesnt work?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do they not go out with a plan B if Plan A doesnt work?

Would any team do that? I doubt it very much as most if not all would wait until half time and the talk with the manager who would tell them to change it and go to plan B. We have done this on a number of occasions the problem is having the players to do this effectively and that is an area that we must look at during the summer.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Last night Vicente was our Plan B. The sad thing is, if he'd been our Plan A then we probably wouldn't have needed a Plan B!

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
Would any team do that? I doubt it very much as most if not all would wait until half time and the talk with the manager who would tell them to change it and go to plan B. We have done this on a number of occasions the problem is having the players to do this effectively and that is an area that we must look at during the summer.

Are you joking?? So if you're getting roasted 3-0 in the first 20 mins of a game you just keep playing the same way?? My full back is getting isolated against some system that the opponents are playing and I'll leave it til half time?

Get some information on from the touchline and change it surely??

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are you joking?? So if you're getting roasted 3-0 in the first 20 mins of a game you just keep playing the same way?? My full back is getting isolated against some system that the opponents are playing and I'll leave it til half time?

Get some information on from the touchline and change it surely??

I would think that in such circumstances the manager would get the message on straight away but in a case like last night when we were comfortable but losing 1-0 until nearly half time I dont think that would have happened but they scored their 2nd goal just before half time so he would have probably left it to half time for an in depth issuing of instructions.

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
I would think that in such circumstances the manager would get the message on straight away but in a case like last night when we were comfortable but losing 1-0 until nearly half time I dont think that would have happened but they scored their 2nd goal just before half time so he would have probably left it to half time for an in depth issuing of instructions.

Hmmmm....I thought they were all over us 1st half to be fair...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just shows how opinions differ I thought that it was just a matter of time before we equalised but then we gave away the penalty and made the job more difficult. After we did equalise there was only ever going to be 1 winner out of either of the sides.

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
Just shows how opinions differ I thought that it was just a matter of time before we equalised but then we gave away the penalty and made the job more difficult. After we did equalise there was only ever going to be 1 winner out of either of the sides.

Funny old game football......Yeah I thought we would go on and win it too.

Yes, as far as I can make out Plan B is drop the goalkeeper, don't replace him with the 2nd choice goalkeeper but replace him with the 3rd choice goalkeeper who is colour blind and unable to connect his foot to the ball.

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
Yes, as far as I can make out Plan B is drop the goalkeeper, don't replace him with the 2nd choice goalkeeper but replace him with the 3rd choice goalkeeper who is colour blind and unable to connect his foot to the ball.

But you've got to give him a go surely??

But you've got to give him a go surely??

In a game that was winnable and may have had a bearing on making the play offs or not?

Well he's had his go now. Gus knows more about football than anybody on here and I trust him, but last night was a tad bizzare.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

This is a very odd thread when we've just come back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. Surely that, more than anything else, would suggest that we not only have a 'plan B', but it works.

Watch Barca against Chelsea tonight, see what they do if they get in trouble. It wont be anything other than decent passing football.

The Gus way is THE way. Our problem is that we only have the quality of players to do it as a play-off chasing Chamionship team. Hopefully next season that is going to change. Have a look at Swansea, that is what we are aiming for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here