Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do 1901ers get too many "loyalty" points?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I just *wish* they hadn't called them such an emotive title as "loyalty" points.

For the love of sanity, please just change them to "albion" or "seagulls" points.

adub68

Jul 25, 2013
Nobody has answered whether 1901 members attending away matches a previous season get those points carried over, as per season ticket holders or is it reset to 1100.

I believe those loyalty points get wiped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We keep 50% of those point above 1100

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
we're not exactly renowned for our away following at Championship level..
Only by tools from admitedly very large clubs such as Wednesday :lol: who have much smaller average travelling distances that us and who haven't spent much of the last 30 years in the wilderness. I think our attendances both home and away are unbelievably good.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Interesting thread. My tuppence worth:

1. When we were promoted in 79, a lot of people started going away for the first time and we had healthy away followings. All games were PoTG so loyalty was measured in terms of how early you turned up, but from memory there were no reports of away fans being locked out. As @ElPresidente points out, after 4 seasons of more downs than ups and a Thatcherite recession, we took 400-odd to OT in a must-win game. Much has changed of course, but I still expect the PL novelty to wear off quite quickly.

2. I expect the early 'big games' (London, Manchester, Merseyside, South Coast) to be ridiculously over-subscribed. Enough 1901ers will want to go to exclude many semi-regular away goers, in the scenario the OP outlines.

3. Despite PB's threats of IDing at away games, I think there is a very real risk of a second-hand grey market for away tickets bought with corporate 1901 points, unless the Club addresses this. This would exacerbate point 2.

4. As well as equity issues, there is a big risk in diluting the vocal support that CH, the players and indeed the Board have praised as critical in helping us achieve #together this season.

PG

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

1. When we were promoted in 79, a lot of people started going away for the first time and we had healthy away followings. All games were PoTG so loyalty was measured in terms of how early you turned up, but from memory there were no reports of away fans being locked out. As @ElPresidente points out, after 4 seasons of more downs than ups and a Thatcherite recession, we took 400-odd to OT in a must-win game. Much has changed of course, but I still expect the PL novelty to wear off quite quickly.

2. I expect the early 'big games' (London, Manchester, Merseyside, South Coast) to be ridiculously over-subscribed. Enough 1901ers will want to go to exclude many semi-regular away goers, in the scenario the OP outlines.

3. Despite PB's threats of IDing at away games, I think there is a very real risk of a second-hand grey market for away tickets bought with corporate 1901 points, unless the Club addresses this. This would exacerbate point 2.

4. As well as equity issues, there is a big risk in diluting the vocal support that CH, the players and indeed the Board have praised as critical in helping us achieve #together this season.

PG

Yep, good analysis.

I'd quibble a little with the extent of your last point. When at home, I'm relatively quiet due to implied peer pressure of those around me. Similarly, when away, the people around me sing, so I do too...

Though, I do agree that I'm less of a "natural" singer than many who go away. If singing was the most important thing to me at a home game, I wouldn't be in 1901.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I have said it before and I will say it again, Corporate Albion doesn't give a stuff about the long term fan/Customer, your only as good as your last season.

Bring on the plastics.

This is not the Albion as we know it.

Cretin! punish:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This is utter bollocks as a 1901 holder you commit to 5 yrs irrespective of what division Albion are playing in as a STH you can could cancel if the club plummeted one or two divisions,

this has all arisen because we are now a Premier League club so jog on! :bla:

You seem to be calling pretty much everyone on NSC a cretin! And this has arisen many times before, but obviously hasn't been an issue when few games have been over-subscribed, that goes without saying.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
You seem to be calling pretty much everyone on NSC a cretin! And this has arisen many times before, but obviously hasn't been an issue when few games have been over-subscribed, that goes without saying.

How many times before 1901'ers used to get 30 extra points.

D

Deleted member 2719

Nice.

Experience.png

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Though, I do agree that I'm less of a "natural" singer than many who go away. If singing was the most important thing to me at a home game, I wouldn't be in 1901.

You're being very modest. At the Mods' karaoke party your version of 'This Ole' House' by Shakin' Stevens had the crowd in raptures.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
....and they get a free programme at home.

I agree about the points being one step too far, especially considering where we are now.

'10' free away game points is not fair to those having visited far and wide over the past few seasons. That said, it's choice.

Giving more free away game points wouldn't solve the entire problem would it because if a 1901er attended the same amount of away games as yourself they would still have more points.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Giving more free away game points wouldn't solve the entire problem would it because if a 1901er attended the same amount of away games as yourself they would still have more points.

I think few people would complain about those circumstances.

The use of 'loyalty' points is an emotive one, and perhaps the club should change the wording of the scheme. A wealthy fan who can afford to put down a five year commitment to a 1901 isn't necessarily more loyal than a single parent who goes to the Albion as often as they can fit it around their work, parental and other commitments, they are just more wealthy.

There are ********s who attend a few matches home and away, and there are ********s who are members of 1901, as well as many good folk in both categories too.

If I don't get a ticket for the away end at some of the high profile matches I'll be disappointed, but at the same time I don't think I have any right to be ahead in the queue of many others. There will always be winners and losers in terms of ticket allocation, but there's no need to be a whiner. (I'm not putting you in that category BTW).

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Stuff the ballot idea. I've been to pretty much every away game for years and want to continue. I don't want to be unable to do this just because some JCLs fancy it this season.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If the scheme is a loyalty scheme which favours those who put money into the club surely those who have held season tickets for 20/30 years should also get a look in?!!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Why not separate home loyalty and away loyalty and run an independant away loyalty scheme based on ground distance from the Amex.

So in rough numbers, you'd get 60ish points for a London away but for a Tyne & Wear away circa 400 points - midlands maybe ~200 points.

There are some folk that can only be loyal to away games but when something like Villa pops up, have no chance.

I've done Wigan, Brum, Burton & Wolves this year - I think 2 were POTG so I have nowhere near enough points to watch at Villa which is only about 30 miles from where I live.

All you STH get to see your beloved Albion at the Amex every other week and I now feel deprived.

Hoping to get to W-Brom without being out-pointed next season - might be my only chance to watch the Albion :)
Pos Leics & Stoke too

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
If I read this situation right, and the goalposts don't move, then those (1901 or not) having spent a lot of time on the road doing the majority of aways and building up a solid bank of points over the past seasons will be fine on the (assumed slightly increased points threshold) first tranch level of tickets next season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

PG

Generally agree with your post. HOWEVER I really don't believe that 1901ers will suddenly start going in greater numbers than they did already. Maybe if the first game is Bournemouth or Southampton away someone who has potentially done 5 or 6 aways last season could miss out, but I still maintain that a lot of this is down to what level the club set the purchase point for each game. They have been deliberately quite low up to know. Only if they make the barrier much higher could it cause a problem for non 1901ers.

And don't agree regarding point 4 either.

And finally I do believe that anyone who is a STH and who went to half the away games this season won't miss out on any games next season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Stuff the ballot idea. I've been to pretty much every away game for years and want to continue. I don't want to be unable to do this just because some JCLs fancy it this season.

Agree with this. The ballot idea is nonsense. They do it for England away games and it doesn't work very well. Well it does now to be fair because no one ever wants to go anyway unless it's Scotland away :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here