Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do 1901ers get too many "loyalty" points?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Such a scheme previously existed. It was called a Private Seat Licence. I can't remember how long the commitment was, but I think it was either five years or "lifetime" (actually 50 years) - exactly the same term lengths that exist for 1901ers.

To be clear, the 1901 contract is split in to two parts: you contract for a licence for your seat (which allows you to transfer it to other people with the club's blessing) for either five years (£500), or 50 years (£1000). Separately, you contract for the games for a fixed five year period. If you bought a 50 year licence, but decide you want to stop going to games for some reason, you can sell the licence to someone else (if you can find a buyer - I'm guessing this may now be easier than it has been!), but there is no right of refund from the club (again, the club may now be more amenable to taking them back off people's hands).

But wasn't that 1901 only?
I'm thinking giving season ticket holders the 5 year option for their seat, thus guaranteeing income and increasing loyalty points accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s example suggests a 1901er with no away games can be ahead of a regular ST who regularly attends 10 aways. If I have misunderstood this I apologise. But if it's correct it does seem unfair and weighted heavily in favour of 1901ers irrespective of cash paid or length of commitment. No aways games versus 10...and Mr/Mrs 10 might miss out to someone going to their first away at Old Trafford.

No need to apologise, Bozza's maths is entirely correct, but it ignores the fact that a standard ST holder gets 20 LP for every home cup game, 1901ers do not (it's already baked in to the starting LP at a fixed level of 50).

To make a true comparison between a standard ST and a 1901er, I assert that the differential is thus 50 LP, not 100 LP.

Again, for the record, I do think 1100 is too high. I'd be setting it somewhere between 1060 (the 5 year commitment does, imo, show true "loyalty" and has to be worth a greater than zero sum) and 1080.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But wasn't that 1901 only?
I'm thinking giving season ticket holders the 5 year option for their seat, thus guaranteeing income and increasing loyalty points accordingly.

No. Standard ST holders could purchase PSLs. Very few did.

I'd be totally happy if the club sold more PSLs with a 5 year commitment, and a commitment to home cup games and gave those holders the same LP and 1901ers. In that scenario, the only difference between a 1901er and a home cup committed PSLer would be money - and I don't think money alone should be rewarded with extra LP.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Then if the club do away with 1901 they are losing a lot of income.

If you bothered reading my post I suggested that perhaps season ticket holders should be allowed the same opportunity to tie in for 5 years.

Hardly bollocks

its hardly a great " opportunity" to tie in annual season tickets to 5 years is it?
not everyone is well off enough to do this.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
its hardly a great " opportunity" to tie in annual season tickets to 5 years is it?
not everyone is well off enough to do this.

No, but the option should be there for STH in my opinion, and additional 'loyalty' points as a result.

There is no system that is going to be fair, but by committing to the club for a period of time, they are assured of income and the STH get the points.

Not ideal but what is?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The issue is about loyalty points, money should not buy extra loyalty points.......this is wrong.

But this is, in part, how loyalty points work. If you spend more at Tesco you get more points. Business class seats get your more air miles than economy etc. I do feel there is justification for rewarding those who spend more at the Albion. But I think the level of benefit is too high.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No. Standard ST holders could purchase PSLs. Very few did.

I'd be totally happy if the club sold more PSLs with a 5 year commitment, and a commitment to home cup games and gave those holders the same LP and 1901ers. In that scenario, the only difference between a 1901er and a home cup committed PSLer would be money - and I don't think money alone should be rewarded with extra LP.

Didn't know that. Interesting stuff.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I myself have had to sit out a couple of home games this season so I could afford to go to the away games.

I don't get that quote, if you only missed a couple of home games you are presumably a STH, living in Saltdean, so missing a home match would save nothing.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The annual season ticket holder is just as loyal as the 5 year season ticket 1901 holder. The ability to afford 1901 does not make you more special than someone on direct monthly debit for one season.

Two points: they are only as loyal if they renew for each year; a 1901er has no exit right. If they do renew, then, with hindsight, they will have been as loyal. With hindsight. A five year commitment is an upfront act of loyalty.

Secondly, ST holders had the right to buy a PSL...very few did. My guess would be that some did not because the PSL itself cost money (but came with benefits, eg the right to transfer the seat), but some did not because they wanted the ability to stop going to games with no ongoing financial commitment...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But this is, in part, how loyalty points work. If you spend more at Tesco you get more points. Business class seats get your more air miles than economy etc. I do feel there is justification for rewarding those who spend more at the Albion. But I think the level of benefit is too high.

That is a good example.

But if it went back to a 30 difference (or less) would the games that 1901 members attend away from home be included in the calculation as per STH's?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That is a good example.

But if it went back to a 30 difference (or less) would the games that 1901 members attend away from home be included in the calculation as per STH's?

Yes.

My starting points this season was calculated at: ((last season's ending points - 1100)/2) + 1100. ie exactly the same way as a standard STH (except, replace both 1100s with 1000)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

If you fly business you accumulate more points so you can get free upgrades to business seats, maybe 1901ers should therefore qualify for the premium seats at away games.

Must admit when I am at the till in Sainsburys I sing "Sainburys a shit hole I wanna go home"

Easiest answer, as has already been posted, is to credit 1901ers with their "cup points" as each round of the cup comes in, irrespective of whether we are home or away.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't get that quote, if you only missed a couple of home games you are presumably a STH, living in Saltdean, so missing a home match would save nothing.

I'm a season ticket holder, and I can tell you that missing the last two home games would have probably saved me about £80!:drink::rolleyes:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. 1901 members pay more, so 1901 members get more points. Simple.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think it will even itself out over the course of the season, if demand outstrips supply then people have to get used to the fact they might miss out. If anything this will instil a competitive edge to our support and mean we sell out all out away allocations - we're not exactly renowned for our away following at Championship level.

The people who go to every away game are already protected so if you are in the first wave of Villa tickets you're fine. It's the second wave who are at risk, but everyone at that level should get an opportunity to buy because of the way the club stagger the points retirement.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Centre WSL pay £285 a season more than NS - same loyalty points - not so simple

Relative difference is small... simple...

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
This is utter bollocks

The annual season ticket holder is just as loyal as the 5 year season ticket 1901 holder. The ability to afford 1901 does not make you more special than someone on direct monthly debit for one season.

The issue is about loyalty points, money should not buy extra loyalty points.......this is wrong.

This is utter bollocks as a 1901 holder you commit to 5 yrs irrespective of what division Albion are playing in as a STH you can could cancel if the club plummeted one or two divisions,

this has all arisen because we are now a Premier League club so jog on! :bla:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This rush for tickets in the north interests me. We didn't sell out the allocation at Burnley when going well in the Championship - so, same teams, same ground, same journey-time; would we really just sell out because we're in a higher league?

Yes, initially I think we would, particularly as there are four fewer games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here