Votes: 51 44.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 41 36.0%

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Draw.

Djokovic comes out of it with a damaged reputation: The "Novax" nickname will stick, the emergence of clear evidence that he's ignored isolation requirements, etc.

Australian officials come out of it looking not-so-great as well. Badly handled all around - Visa should never have been granted in the first place. Clear indications that the requirements to get a Visa for the tournament were not clear enough (now 3 cases of Visa's granted where they were applied for on grounds that weren't valid, all for the same reason: that the exemptions being granted via Tennis Australia / Victorian government clearly weren't being clearly communicated as not being valid for the Visa).

Neither Tennis Australia nor the Victoria Government have any say in border control. They have taken it upon themselves to make up their own rules. Hardly the fault of the Federal Government.

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Agree, I find his appearance at the Djokovic home utterly bizarre! And what numpty invited the vampire in? All it proves again is his utter devotion to self promotion. Again, bizarre.

I can only imagine he told them it's just Romanians he wouldn't like to live next to, Serbians are fine...

el punal

IF he gets to play it will be a must watch. I think it will reach a level of boos that would have GP walking out the door. Well I hope so anyway

Australia seems to have a monopoly on fecking up in major sporting decisions at the moment. First F1 and now this

And allowing the England cricket team into the country. punish:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If he gets to play and reach the final, the TV companies etc are the big winners as the Vaxx Fundamentalists will be sitting in one cage making primal noices and inappropriate self-touching over whoever he plays against while the Antivaxx Brotherhood will be in another cage doing the same thing, and it will easily be one of the most watched tennis events of all time.

As for who "comes out better" in Djokovic vs Australia? From my point out view this is what they come out looking like: Djokovic is a muppet gloryhunting self-victimising tennis player and Australia is a muppet country with no idea about what it is doing or why... and the hundreds of millions of us following this plucky drama really doesnt come out looking much better than that.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Great PR for the Aussie government. They have a reputation for being very firm and decisive when it comes to border controls, and this fits that narrative. They are a sovereign country and can decide who is allowed in.

blatant electioneering but yes , their border control is legendary except when it comes to millionaires , billionaires , film stars and sports people.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If he gets to play and reach the final, the TV companies etc are the big winners as the Vaxx Fundamentalists will be sitting in one cage making primal noices and inappropriate self-touching over whoever he plays against while the Antivaxx Brotherhood will be in another cage doing the same thing, and it will easily be one of the most watched tennis events of all time.

As for who "comes out better" in Djokovic vs Australia? From my point out view this is what they come out looking like: Djokovic is a muppet gloryhunting self-victimising tennis player and Australia is a muppet country with no idea about what it is doing or why... and the hundreds of millions of us following this plucky drama really doesnt come out looking much better than that.

:lolol::lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Neither Tennis Australia nor the Victoria Government have any say in border control. They have taken it upon themselves to make up their own rules. Hardly the fault of the Federal Government.
The Australian Open organisers wanted all the best players for the tournament which is fair enough. I don't think they had any right to give exemptions to national rules, and, national rules take precedence. Novax, for his part. has to accept that his entry to some countries will be rejected until Covid goes away ( unlikely) or he just gets vaccinated... I'm sure he must have had loads of vaccinations already. So, Team Australia for me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is anti vaxxers like the tennis player that have made it political. What do you want the Government to do ? Swoon like the journalists and ask for autographs ?

Brilliant post. Unusually (borderline, but nevertheless) vituperative, for you. :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Brilliant post. Unusually (borderline, but nevertheless) vituperative, for you. :bowdown: :thumbsup:

I was aiming for dry rather than vituperative. I’m glad it was only borderline the latter :smile:
I have to admit to some mild irritation with this morning’s BBC news presenters who seemed to think Australia should be rolling out the red carpet because the fella is good at tennis.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If the country requires double jabs or a 2 week isolation then he should've made his choice. He has try to by pass the system and the people who have been so tightly lockdown have questioned it. I have no objections to him competing without getting vaccinated but then he should be required to isolate

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Hence my very vague "Australian officials". I'm encompassing the whole lot within this. On the Federal side, they have to take the blame for messing up the revocation of the Visa and thus losing what should have been a slam-dunk court case win. On the Victorian / Tennis Australia side there's a clear failure of communication about what, exactly, their exemptions apply for.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
If the country requires double jabs or a 2 week isolation then he should've made his choice. He has try to by pass the system and the people who have been so tightly lockdown have questioned it. I have no objections to him competing without getting vaccinated but then he should be required to isolate

I agree with this, but have opted for the draw on the basis that Australia has monumentally fecked up through procedural and communication failures.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

From what I've heard from family in Australia, the ScoMo federal government isn't much better than the Boris government over here. Party dragged too far to the right, being led by an incompetent PM. And that's coming from family who were nailed-on Liberal-National coalition voters when I was kid.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only one of the poll options comes out as being a scumbag. Either Novax faked a conveniently-timed covid infection or he really had it and he knowingly just carried on with his daily life, not caring one little bit who he infected. Either way, needs kicking out of Oz as an undesirable. ****

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Great PR for the Aussie government. They have a reputation for being very firm and decisive when it comes to border controls, and this fits that narrative. They are a sovereign country and can decide who is allowed in.
Might have looked "firm & decisive" with a clear NO at the outset re one of their biggest sporting events but makes them look pretty disorganised / tinpot when Tennis Aus, Victoria & electioneering Federal Govts have not got their ducks in a row. Embarrassing.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
From what I've heard from family in Australia, the ScoMo federal government isn't much better than the Boris government over here. Party dragged too far to the right, being led by an incompetent PM. And that's coming from family who were nailed-on Liberal-National coalition voters when I was kid.

Oh you mean the bloke who went to Hawaii and got a tan while the country burned, told everyone to go to the footy as the virus took hold, has god speak through him in tongues at church gatherings, told us getting vaccinated was not a race, told our 4th biggest export (overseas students coming here to study) to piss off home, needed his wife to tell him that as a father of two daughters he should be concerned about rape and other sexual assaults, yeah I would say your family are about right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here