Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Django Unchained V Lincoln.

Django Unchained V Lincoln which will you see ?

• Both

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Django Unchained

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Lincoln

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Great- an Uncle Spielberg initiated film thread!

Going to see both these films at some point. Many reviews about Django refer to its three hour length. Sunday Times says it is 'very bloody and bloody long' giving it three out of five. Critical of Tarantinos love of cinematic violence too which it says becomes tiresome in its overuse. I think Lincoln will be the stronger of the two. Better than both these films I suspect will be Zero Dark Thirty which is about the battle to find and kill bin Laden. Its also a long one at 150+ minutes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There have been a glut of long films recently: skyfall, the hobbit, les mis, django, lincoln. It makes the double and triple bills I like to have at cinemas even longer.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln obviously did well in the States because of the subject matter. I watched it and the kindest thing I could say about it is you could have a nice nap during it and not really miss anything. But obviously everyone will have different opinions. I think it may struggle in the UK because there won’t be the same historical attachment as there was with viewers in the States.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Lincoln has Daniel Day Lewis staring and he rarely picks a duff film.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There have been a glut of long films recently: skyfall, the hobbit, les mis, django, lincoln. It makes the double and triple bills I like to have at cinemas even longer.

You like to see two or three films at a time? Big respect for that, I can only concentrate for one at a time! I remember last year seeing 4 different films on 4 straight days with 3 different people as companions. I'd had enough by the 4th!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You like to see two or three films at a time? Big respect for that, I can only concentrate for one at a time! I remember last year seeing 4 different films on 4 straight days with 3 different people as companions. I'd had enough by the 4th!

I do. It seems like such an effort to get to the cinema, I like to make the most of it.

I've even done 5 in one day, on a couple of occasions.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I do. It seems like such an effort to get to the cinema, I like to make the most of it.

I've even done 5 in one day, on a couple of occasions.

You should start saving and come to the film festival next year. My friend Roberto did around 70 films in two weeks. Before going home and writing in his blog of them. He has a press pass so it's not the same mad expense for him, but still. I manage one or two a day during the week and maybe three a day at the weekend. And i am honestly exhausted from about day 4 onwards. Some beauties that never come out though, or suddenly turn up for a week about 3 years later in 2 cinemas nationwide, so it's worth throwing yourself into the mostly unknown.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw Django Unchained yesterday. I would agree with Mark Kermode, it is a good film with some scenes/set pieces/sequences that are very very good, some entertaining action, but it is far too long, and could easily be cut down to a shorter, better film. I will add that I loved the soundtrack. I thought it had a strong finish, such that it made me walk out thinking it was better than I did when I reflected on it as a whole.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Saw 'Les Miserables' Monday - having never seen the stage play or known little about the plotline, I enjoyed it very much but it was a bit of a mess.

'Django' I saw last night. Like all Tarantino films had one or two 'laugh out loud moments', a whole heap of true comic book violence, and a couple of hands up to my eyes violent moments [mainly in the anticipation of it]. Again, a bit of a mess but extremely enjoyable.

Looking forward to 'Lincoln' although I am expecting a bit of a worthiness-fest in the realms of 'Schindler's List' and 'Amistad'.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I loved War Horse, I thought it was superb and very moving. Each to their own.

Is there any of Spielbergs films that you don't like?

As for the OP, I might watch both but if I only get round to seeing one it will be Django. Inglorious Bastards was very good, and Tarantino has definitely (almost) grown up. There's no point in comparing his films to Pulp Fiction as he's changed his style with age. Lincoln sacres me as it's got Spielberg at the helm of an 'america' movie. Not sure I would be able to cope with the sentimentality.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Saw Lincoln yesterday. I liked it.

Out of the two, Django Unchained has moments that are better than anything in Lincoln, but Lincoln is paced much better, and is more consistent and doesn't feel like you're watching a film that is too long.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Saw Django Unchained yesterday , taken in context the use of the "N" word is valid for the timeline and setting. QT made sure his own appearance had an explosive ending :lol: Lots of blood and gore in homage to the original Spaghetti Westerns. Some of the comedic moments are subtle which you would expect from QT. The soundtrack is amazing , I didn't know beforehand that Ennio Morricone :bowdown: contributed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here