Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Direct debits

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Mine also came out on the 31st, although I'm fortunate enough that the date makes little difference to me.

I can't imagine for a second that the club and PB will ignore this. Unlike many complaints, which affect only a few people, this will affect many thousands - I suspect, although don't know, that the club will ensure they have a thorough understanding of what has happened before responding.

A friend has led me to believe, the club have broken the law by taking this money before the agreed date.

What will they do where fans did not have the funds and the bank refused payment, will they try again or just refuse to continue with the DD agreement.
The club needs to make a statement.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
if there is a change in the amount to be paid or the payment date, the person receiving the payment (the originator) must notify the customer in advance.
if the originator or the bank/building society makes an error, the customer is guaranteed a full and immediate refund of the amount paid.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Before damning the club, outside chance it could be a bank error. Depdends how they are administered.....

Could well be. However we seem to be the most overstaffed football club in the world, I'm sure that somebody in the last 24 hours could have at least taken the time to acknowledge it's even happened.

After all, I've been made fully aware that we caught a plane up to Blackburn yesterday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
if there is a change in the amount to be paid or the payment date, the person receiving the payment (the originator) must notify the customer in advance.
if the originator or the bank/building society makes an error, the customer is guaranteed a full and immediate refund of the amount paid.

...if you make a claim under the Direct Debit Guarantee, yes.

Hopefully the funds being requested a day early will not adversely affect most people, either because they had sufficient funds in their account and/or get paid at the end of the month. These people will have no need to seek to make a claim.

Those who have been adversely affected - say other payment requests have been rejected or, perhaps, incurred bank charges for going overdrawn or exceeding an agreed overdraft limit should probably look to speak to the club's Customer Services, explain what has happened and seek to agree a solution. It strikes me as there being little point seeking the funds back via your bank because, as today is the 1st, they are due to the club anyway.

The final scenario is the season ticket payment itself was rejected, and I'm sure the club will adapt a common sense approach to help any people affected in this way and not mark them as bad/late payers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...if you make a claim under the Direct Debit Guarantee, yes.

Hopefully the funds being requested a day early will not adversely affect most people, either because they had sufficient funds in their account and/or get paid at the end of the month. These people will have no need to seek to make a claim.

Those who have been adversely affected - say other payment requests have been rejected or, perhaps, incurred bank charges for going overdrawn or exceeding an agreed overdraft limit should probably look to speak to the club's Customer Services, explain what has happened and seek to agree a solution. It strikes me as there being little point seeking the funds back via your bank because, as today is the 1st, they are due to the club anyway.

The final scenario is the season ticket payment itself was rejected, and I'm sure the club will adapt a common sense approach to help any people affected in this way and not mark them as bad/late payers.

Top, top advice :bowdown:

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Has anyone heard anything official from the club yet?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
And i'm sure your 'better than thou' attitude towards others finances is sure to piss a few people off. There are often unforseen circumstances that cannot be budgeted for that can put an already stretched budget on the limit. Direct debits are supposed to be a set amount leaving your account at the same time every month. If they move this then obvioysly out of 20,000+ season ticket holdera there are going to be at least a few people where this is one payment too much too early, through no fault of theirs. So get off your high horse and admire your healthy account balance without putting other people down.

And perhaps you should follow the advice in your signature.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
And perhaps you should follow the advice in your signature.

have i put you on my ignore list? No. My signature does indeed state that every person is entitled to an opinion, it just so happens that yours is wrong.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
have i put you on my ignore list? No. My signature does indeed state that every person is entitled to an opinion, it just so happens that yours is wrong.

If monthly household income = 100% of monthly household expenditure, unexpected outgoings (regardless of fault) have the potential to cause cash flow issues from time to time. Hard to see how that is wrong.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
If monthly household income = 100% of monthly household expenditure, unexpected outgoings (regardless of fault) have the potential to cause cash flow issues from time to time. Hard to see how that is wrong.

you've missed the point that other things can happen in a month that aren't budgeted for, such as car problems, vet bills, household emergencies etc. Then having a direct debit come out EARLY can be the straw that breaks the camels back, even if a person has budgeted sensibly.

you may not have had the pleasure of the:
'car tyres still need doing, can we afford it'
'yes, we have enough left over after paying for jonnys braces and none of our direct debits come out until after i get paid again'

but many of us have, and dont need to be told we're doing it wrong, its difficult enough as it is.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

You're completely wrong here. There's lots of reasons why this could cause problems, for example I transfer all my money for bills to another account every month. It was only by luck I'd done it a day early this month.

As others have said, if a bloke has a wife and 3 kids who all have ST's he could be looking at £150 a month. He may keep 100 quid 'lucky money' on the last day of the month which would be a responsible thing to do. Not enough though when the club decide to take their money whenever they feel like it.

Even worse is the fact they can't even be arsed to acknowledge it's happened, 2 days now and nothing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've sent off another email expressing my disappointment in the lack of reply or information. I've copied Paul Barber in again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Strange!

The following message to <paul.barber@bhafc.co.uk> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 550-'5.7.1 Command not allowed'

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
You're completely wrong here. There's lots of reasons why this could cause problems, for example I transfer all my money for bills to another account every month. It was only by luck I'd done it a day early this month.

As others have said, if a bloke has a wife and 3 kids who all have ST's he could be looking at £150 a month. He may keep 100 quid 'lucky money' on the last day of the month which would be a responsible thing to do. Not enough though when the club decide to take their money whenever they feel like it.

Even worse is the fact they can't even be arsed to acknowledge it's happened, 2 days now and nothing.

This is exactly what I do. I have a standing order set up to transfer from another account on the last day of each month so it's there to be taken on the 1st. However, it hadn't gone in in time and for some reason my ticket was paid but my son's wasn't. So that'll be £10 returned DD charge from the bank (I think).

I tweeted the club (not very professional I know) but have had no response. As You said in an earlier post, it was nice of them to take the time dicking about putting up photos of the team boarding a plane but not to deal with something that should be dealt with. A small announcement at least. An apology maybe? Anything?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here