Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Forlan

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Several of Barnes goal total for last season were not from open play i.e. penalties.

The CMS v Barnes stats would look significantly different if CMS took (and scored) our penalties.

Plus Barnes had a pen saved against Reading.

That's not really relevant, they are all goals!

2 years ago our penalty conversion rate was rubbish, Barnes stepped up and solved that problem for us.

Your second sentence would be better phrased "The CMS v Barnes stats would look significantly different if CMS took (and IF he scored) our penalties.

(I'm a CMS fan but yes, I still think that's a big if!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm. hard to qualify the better scoring position idea....

I've been looking at the data on soccernet/espn, unfortunately it doesn't have a breakdown (or if it does I can't see it) of where each player scored from which would back up what you're saying.
In my mind, Barnes scored from the top quarter of the penalty area, on the left hand side. (If that makes any sense)

Mainly from secondary ball, which had either gone into the box and on it's way out.
Or from a cut back from the left flank.

I'm happy to be wrong, or only remembering 1 goal.
But nevertheless I stand by my original comment that during this time CMS was marked out of it by being the only player in or around the 6 yard box.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In my mind, Barnes scored from the top quarter of the penalty area, on the left hand side. (If that makes any sense)

Mainly from secondary ball, which had either gone into the box and on it's way out.
Or from a cut back from the left flank.

I'm happy to be wrong, or only remembering 1 goal.
But nevertheless I stand by my original comment that during this time CMS was marked out of it by being the only player in or around the 6 yard box.

Looking back, Barnes made very intelligent and well timed runs into the box. I also don't think it's some kind of coincidence or bizarre thing that Vicente was ALWAYS looking for Barnes when he got the ball, they had a very good connection going towards the end of the season.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
Capture.PNG

Sorry to disappoint anyone, end of thread now?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking back, Barnes made very intelligent and well timed runs into the box. I also don't think it's some kind of coincidence or bizarre thing that Vicente was ALWAYS looking for Barnes when he got the ball, they had a very good connection going towards the end of the season.
Am I being a revisionist or where Barnes' runs into the same sort of area?

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Tell you what, believe it or not, but I hope Barnes scores 30 goals this season as well. I just don't think he will, no where near it. That doesn't make me a hater,(that's a very strong word) it makes me a man with an opinion that is different than yours.

Not saying you are a hater, but those who are abusing him at matches and stuff are!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That's not really relevant, they are all goals!

2 years ago our penalty conversion rate was rubbish, Barnes stepped up and solved that problem for us.

Your second sentence would be better phrased "The CMS v Barnes stats would look significantly different if CMS took (and IF he scored) our penalties.

(I'm a CMS fan but yes, I still think that's a big if!)

If we are being pedantic then 2 years ago isn't relevant either, given that CMS wasn't on our books back then, as this post was about our current strikers (and maybe our dreams about Forlan as a possible future addition). Maybe if Forlan did arrive he might fancy taking the pens, so we would have an embarrassment of riches in that department.

I would agree that Barnes appeared to have addressed the first choice penalty taker issue but then I don't think CMS would done any worse than Barnes either, especially if you recall the pen he took in the shoot out against Wrexham which would still be travelling now but for the net, unlike the last powder puff effort from Barnes against Reading. CMS's pen that night would easily have been good enough for the recent Euros. For now Barnes has the cajones to take our pens so good luck to him and if that makes him to scorer thats fine but I also think CMS would do a job if asked to take all pens and with a similar conversion rate would become top scorer as a result.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Am I being a revisionist or where Barnes' runs into the same sort of area?

I get what you're alluding to now.

You maybe right actually. Oh for opta stats.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here