Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dicker- True class

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
At one point THPP was screaming blue murder at Elphick & El-Abd. The ball was in the Albion half and I swear the order of play went as follows:

Elphick to El Abd (parallel to the centre line, in the Albion half)
El Abd back to Elphick (still parallel to the centre line, istill n the Albion half)
Elphick back to El Abd (still parallel to the centre line, still in the Albion half)
El Abd back to Elphick (still parallel to the centre line, still in the Albion half)
Elphick back to the keeper.

One step up the evolutionary ladder from The Mighty Hoof, admittedly, but still a f***ing disgrace.

Brainless idiots the pair of them.

IMHO, like.

I don't generally criticise other posters' opinions, but you sound like an absolute moron.

For how long have our fans (and I presume you were one of the most vocal in this) slagged off Elphick/ Virgo/ El Abd for playing aimless hoofball and craved defenders that are willing to get the ball down and play from the back?

We now, for the first time in at least five years, have players in all positions who are not scared to put a foot on the ball and pick a pass. I spoke to Elphick a couple of weeks ago and he said the main deifference since Gus has come in has been the confidence he gives the players, he makes them feel like world beaters. This has led to us playing nothing short of superb football, and I for one could have watched yesterday's game go on for a week without getting bored.

I honestly can't believe you're criticising our defenders for wanting to pass the ball. It's the best we've played for years.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yesterday there was a certain amount of...

Square pass from El-Abd to Elphick
Square pass from Elphick to El-Abd
Square pass from Elphick to El-Abd
Crossfield pass from Elphick to Bennett
Little ball inside from Bennet to Dicker
Short pass from Dicker to Navarro
Pass back from Navarro to El-Abd
Square pass from El-Abd back to Elphick

All with no Tranmere player getting near it.

A salutory lesson in taking the piss out of the opposition when 2-0 up.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I was delighted to see the defenders keeping the ball and waiting for spaces to open up. It was enhanced by the fact Tranmere were the most insipid, uninspired team I have seen for a long time. As soon as Murray scored their heads were down and they could barely be bothered to try and close anyone down. It was a truely spineless pathetic performance that made me feel really sorry for their fans who had travelled a long way.

I can't believe the BBC stats showed only 51%-49% possession in our favour. I thought it would have been a minimum of 60%

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I was delighted to see the defenders keeping the ball and waiting for spaces to open up. It was enhanced by the fact Tranmere were the most insipid, uninspired team I have seen for a long time. As soon as Murray scored their heads were down and they could barely be bothered to try and close anyone down. It was a truely spineless pathetic performance that made me feel really sorry for their fans who had travelled a long way.

I can't believe the BBC stats showed only 51%-49% possession in our favour. I thought it would have been a minimum of 60%

I thought this too, only 51% does not seem correct. The other interesting stat Tranmere 0 shots on target and only 2 off target. We totally dominated them.

To THPP you seem to be forgetting the times where El Abd and Elphick brought the ball forward. Both of them carried the ball forward at least twice. They did this when the opportunity to do so was there. They played short passes when the opportunity was there. When either of these options was not available they passed as you described retaining possession. Both centre backs played well and used their brains as to when to play forward.

To you and all those shouting forward, Colchester play the kind of football you are looking for and don't have many fans, so I am sure you will be welcome there.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
There was a bit of moaning about that in F Block, and Gus turned around and gestured for everyone to calm down and that he was happy with it.

Great to see we have a manager who interacts with the fans in this way. I can see why he makes the players feel special and involved. Along with his obvious ability I think this is why so many of us have warmed to Gus and really trust him in what he's trying to achieve. Yesterday's football was excellent and a joy to watch from all 14 players involved. Yes Tranmere weren't very good but we made them look much worse than they really are. That's the sign of a decent team. I really hope THPP is on a wind-up as otherwise I fear he really has lost the plot.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought this too, only 51% does not seem correct. The other interesting stat Tranmere 0 shots on targetand only 2 off target. We totally dominated them.

To THPP you seem to be forgetting the times where El Abd and Elphick brought the ball forward. Both of them carried the ball forward at least twice. They did this when the opportunity to do so was there. They played short passes when the opportunity was there. When either of these options was not available they passed as you described retaining possession. Both centre backs played well and used their brains as to when to play forward.

To you and all those shouting forward, Colchester play the kind of football you are looking for and don't have many fans, so I am sure you will be welcome there.

Well, that's demonstrably untrue because Brezovan made a decent save from a free-kick.

I can well believe the 51-49% bit, as they had a bit of pressure for a short time, forcing a few corners etc. It just seems they did bugger all with it.

The first-half possession stats would be a bit more lop-sided, I expect.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well, that's demonstrably untrue because Brezovan made a decent save from a free-kick.

I can well believe the 51-49% bit, as they had a bit of pressure for a short time, forcing a few corners etc. It just seems they did bugger all with it.

The first-half possession stats would be a bit more lop-sided, I expect.

True, I had forgotten about that free kick. It would be interesting to see how different the stats came out if we did them ourselves. They do often seem inaccurate.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
True, I had forgotten about that free kick. It would be interesting to see how different the stats came out if we did them ourselves. They do often seem inaccurate.

I believe the club have more effective monitoring systems. Surprised those results aren't passed on to the BBC

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Great to see we have a manager who interacts with the fans in this way. I can see why he makes the players feel special and involved.

Thats why I love sitting in F Block, hes always up to something. Hugging/kissing Taricco, talking to 4th official, shouting at their gaffer or people on our bench. I love watching him.

Hes always turning round signing stuff to us as well. When we were stuffing Brentford the other week but not finding the back of the net he was having kittens and after Forster fluffed his chance he just turned towards the South Stand shrugged his shoulders and sat on the paramedics stretcher with his his head in his hands. Love it.

Think hes made eye contact with me a couple of times, makes my heart melt.

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
I haven't read the whole of this, but has anyone already pointed out that the first moan about keeping possession came at the start of the move that lead to the first goal. Only real moaning after that came from their No 25.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Could hear rumblings at the front of E/D block early on in the game when we were passing it round the back a bit. What a load of crap, earlier in the season we'd just spank it forward in that situation (or fall over the ball and present the strikers with a clear run on goal), the opposition get it straight back and then we're under pressure again.

If there's no obvious pass forward on, then I for one am quite happy for our defenders to pass it between themselves until such time as one does open up. It's about half a minute out of ninety, we're not talking about a West Germany v Austria World Cup fixing pass-fest here. In the meantime, the opponents are expending energy chasing it, AND WE STILL HAVE THE BALL, so what's the problem?

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Try watching that Simpsons episode where all of Springfield turn out for the soccerball game Mexico v Portugal or somesuch. The ball goes sideways about a dozen time from the kick-off, the crowd get first bored and then riot and the match is abandoned while the stadium crashes and burns. That's about how pathetic it was. Seriously. I challenge anyone who witnessed it to defend such levels of fuckwittery :shrug:

They have obviously been told to hold onto the ball until there is a good option for a forward pass. As Tranmere played 5 in midfield yesterday, there was not always an easy pass although Crofts and Navarro worked hard to make themselves available. The options therefore were keep the ball or lump it forward. I know which I prefer but I'm sure you would rather the game was played at 100 mph with us giving it away at every opportunity.
One of the reasons we have stopped shipping goals is because we hold onto the ball and it is therefore not coming straight back at out defence.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What an UTTER tool you are THPP.

There is LITERALLY no-one on this site who displays a more complete lack of footballing knowledge than yourself. Outstanding effort.

Mind you. Scottish, innit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What an UTTER tool you are THPP.

There is LITERALLY no-one on this site who displays a more complete lack of footballing knowledge than yourself. Outstanding effort.

Mind you. Scottish, innit.

Don't forget to set your watch forward eighteen months in order to keep up with what the cognoscenti are seeing today :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hilarious.

Actually, no, make that :yawn:

El Abd is 25.

T. Elphick is 22.

Both have been first team regulars for, what, four or five years now?

Fair play to Gus, he's got them tentatively resisting the urge to hoof for maybe the first time in their careers.
But it's too little, too late.

I find it actually quite vomit-making that some Albion fans have such low expectations of some players.

Just won't do :nono:

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
its called keep ball, its a little negative and slightly dangerous if caught napping but overall its great, there were some knobheads behind me in d block urging elphick to hoof it and on the couple of occasions he did, lo and behold tranmere got the ball back, one of them even said he didnt like it cos it wasnt entertaining, we were 1-0 up at the time so would he have been better entertained had we not kept possession and tranmere equalised? knobs, man utds back four do it week in week out and no-one complains about it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
El Abd is 25.

T. Elphick is 22.

Both have been first team regulars for, what, four or five years now?

Fair play to Gus, he's got them tentatively resisting the urge to hoof for maybe the first time in their careers.
But it's too little, too late.

I find it actually quite vomit-making that some Albion fans have such low expectations of some players.

Just won't do :nono:

They are the centre backs in a defence that has conceded ONE goal in SIX games.

Exactly how high ARE your expectations, then?

Knob.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here