Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick vs Bas/Bas' Agent/Andy Naylor - "Final Statement"

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I normally enjoy reading Naylors stuff. He gives a decent account from someone that is GENERALLY impartial, but giving the agent a platform to air his views of the board was not on as far as I am concerned. Agents work for the client to get the best deal and nothing else. He is going to give a very polarised view of the proceedings, which he did.

There are going to be people that are taken in by this nonsense vomited out by Mr Horton. Horton has only one thing on him mind when he spoke to the Argus. Free Bas and himself of the blame and put his client in the shop window. It was cheap and it wasn't very cheerful.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
so quoting an agent on the reasons his player didnt sign a new contract is stretching the truth?

naylor does a bloody good job at getting stories from both sides - not just reporting how great the club is. if he did that, then there is a strong possibility that the we wouldnt have found out about the club selling the goldstone until a lot later

the goldstone sale did not in any way get discovered, announced or reported by the sports department at the argus. It came from a tip off to Ian Hart who alerted the Deputy Editor who ensured that Paul Bracchi (the best investigative journalist at the Argus for some time) did the digging alongside Paul Samrah and Paul Welch.

I agree that naylor isn't the antichrist and I think in this instance he reported newsworthy items commencing with the approach to him by Bas's agent when 6 weeks after getting an offer on the table he didn't see bas's performances meriting an improvement. It is manna from heaven for a journalist when it falls into their lap. However to credit him with moments in our history that he was not responsible for doesn't help.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Can you ever expect a "balanced view" based on a football agent's side of the story?

Or a Football League Chairman's?

I'm not going to get into the whole good Dick/bad Dick debate (oo-err) but all I'll say is that Dick Knight, like Morrissey, is very good at slating people for publicly criticising others and then doing the exact same thing himself. Like his half-time announcement regarding the Gold affair he seems hell-bent on 'putting the record straight' rather than just accepting that the press have a job to do and so does he and at times these two jobs will come into conflict. You can't fan the flames and then expect everyone to go away quietly saying "Dick has spoken, the truth is out". Sometimes the best course of action for people in positions of responsibilty like his is to say nothing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
the goldstone sale did not in any way get discovered, announced or reported by the sports department at the argus.
I.

If that be the case , and I am not disputing your version, why was it that Bellotti banned Andy Naylor from The Goldstone for his reporting of the whole issue. I believe that Paul Bracchi probably started the ball rolling but Andy Naylor was the one who continued it and gave the fans the greatest insight to the happenings at the time.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If that be the case , and I am not disputing your version, why was it that Bellotti banned Andy Naylor from The Goldstone for his reporting of the whole issue. I believe that Paul Bracchi probably started the ball rolling but Andy Naylor was the one who continued it and gave the fans the greatest insight to the happenings at the time.

He banned virtually every Argus bod from the Goldstone - incuding Fred Oliver.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
so quoting an agent on the reasons his player didnt sign a new contract is stretching the truth?

naylor does a bloody good job at getting stories from both sides - not just reporting how great the club is. if he did that, then there is a strong possibility that the we wouldnt have found out about the club selling the goldstone until a lot later

Exactly. The best way Knight could have dealt with all this is by keeping it brief. Just say we offered terms which have been rejected and we have no further comment. He is making himself look foolish and desperate.

I don't like Naylor, but the man has a job to do and that is to report on the Albion and create interest in what he writes. he seems to do this quite well.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Or a Football League Chairman's?

I'm not going to get into the whole good Dick/bad Dick debate (oo-err) but all I'll say is that Dick Knight, like Morrissey, is very good at slating people for publicly criticising others and then doing the exact same thing himself. Like his half-time announcement regarding the Gold affair he seems hell-bent on 'putting the record straight' rather than just accepting that the press have a job to do and so does he and at times these two jobs will come into conflict. You can't fan the flames and then expect everyone to go away quietly saying "Dick has spoken, the truth is out". Sometimes the best course of action for people in positions of responsibilty like his is to say nothing.

OI! Leave Morrissey alone. he's a legend!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
OI! Leave Morrissey alone. he's a legend!

I agree, I'm a big fan of his music. Trouble is he does talk a load of crap in between and is prone to hypocritical rants that make him look silly. Knight is not quite there yet with the personal vitriol but he's getting close in that last statement of his.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here