Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight, your views

Dick Knight, would you want him to stay or go?

• Yes, he is the right man

Votes: 53 75.7%
  • No, it is time for him to step aside

Votes: 17 24.3%

• Total voters

Albion Rob

Right, I am a bit undecided, so I have chosen to make a poll to see what the general feeling is about Dick Knight.

Do you think he is selling us down the river a bit? The stadium is taking forever, Bobby has gone for a snip, we didn't invest last season which cost us our place in Div 1, he was going around handing out contracts to players who were on the fringes of the side in the Div 2 championship year and had no hope of makiing the grade in Div 1.

Or do you look at it like this? He got us back to Brighton, he has employed a succession of quality managers, he gave Micky the funds to begin the revolution and most of those players have proved loyal and useful, he got us Bobby, we could be at Falmer in a few years, we have tasted life in Div 1 something unimaginable just four years ago and let's face it, we havent had half the financial troubles of a lot of clubs in the divisions we have played in.

As I say, I'm not really sure. Is Dick holding us back, or would we be in a far worse state without him?

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
He's done more good than bad. He's a great chairman and has the interests of the club at heart.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
He got us out of shit, he's trying his hardest to get Falmer for us - Maybe 5 years after falmer he's still tight then I would start to question his leadership....until then though he's the right man for the job, besides no one else would want us if he left!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are people with short memories. Do you want Archer back? Or Stanley?

Or maybe there are all those clubs with wonderful chairmen. That nice Mr Koppel, the warm-hearted Mr Scally, the generous Mr Moore, the warm Mr Jordan, the calm and reasonable Mr Hamman..the list could go on.

Or do we want someone who is fan through and through. His dipped into his own pocket to help the club, who has got back to Brighton after the Priestfield hell, has got us into the first division (however briefly) and has at least put forward a plan for a new stadium. I know he's not perfect but he's a damn sight better than 90% of league chairmen.

It's only six years since we were in a whisker of extinction, why has that been forgotten so quickly?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'm not a complete apologist for Knight - I really think he could have got a lot more for Bob - but we do at least have a man in charge with the club at heart.

You only really appreciate that you have a good thing when you lose it. I'd rather he were there than some complete mercenary with no sense of the club's history or tradition but a shitload of cash and a gargantuan ego come in. If Dick goes, we enter a metaphorical lottery for a new top man, with no idea of the motives of whomever comes in. If new boy gets bored or disillusioned, (al Fayed, anyone?) what happens then?

Knight's motives are clear to us at least - get Falmer, take the club on from there. He seems to be taking a slaughtering on here for long term thinking, something sadly lacking in football.

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
If he doesn't put any of the Zamora money towards enabling Coppell to strengthen the team, then I will be seriously pissed off!

I appreciate the need to balance the books, and that Falmer is a priority, but if he doesn't have the finance to be able to take the club any further, he should step down!

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
With you all the way Gwylan. I finished reading Build a Bonfire a couple of months back and its reaffirmed my beliefs in Knight and this Club being one of the best in the country.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Build a Bonfire should be read by every fan at least once a year.

Realise our potential? Until we have a new stadium there is no potential. Is he the right man to get the stadium? Yes.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He is a blooming hero !.

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
He's the right man for the job IMHO.

A few points to substantiate this opinion:

1. There is still a BHA

2. No-one else would want the job at them moment

3. We can be a decent Div 2 side until the stadium is built. We can also be a struggling Div 1 side but I know which I'd prefer

4. There's not much point in getting promoted unless we're in a position to pay proper wages. These have to come via ticket sales not out of Dick's wallet ergo not a realistic proposition until we have Falmer

5. If Dick has extra money to spend this should go on preparation for Falmer.

6. If you want quick and easy glory then support Man United

7. Don't blame Dick Knight for the action of others

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Peter Ridsdale was paying himself £600,000 at Leeds, Geoffrey Robinson was on £250,000 at Bradford. Neither of them put money into the club. DK has put about £1.4 million of his money into the Albion and taken nothing out.

I know who I would rather have
:clap2:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Step aside for who?

Who actually wants the job? I'm not aware of anyone waiting in the wings to take over!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Blackadder said:
Step aside for who?

Who actually wants the job? I'm not aware of anyone waiting in the wings to take over!

Which isn't surprising given the number of twats with short memories.

Albion Rob

Well, as it stands there are 75 per cent of people in favour of him staying, which is encouraging.

For me, the ultimate factor is that we are basically trying to fight with one hand tied behind our backs. We have a rubbish, small ground and are not even making any money each match day.

There are clubs with muchbigger grounds than us who are in a lot of shit right now, and I don't care what anyone says about the markets, it's down to bad management from the top.

However, it is always worth taking a balanced viewpoint, and if we do not get Falmer, or we get there and have not progressed as a club within three years of getting it (that doesn't necessarily mean storming up the leagues, but just improving the profile and strength of the club) then questions will have to be asked.

Overall, I think he is doing a good job, having looked at the views expressed. The ideal situation would be someone with a fair bit of financial clout coming in to work alongside Dick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here