Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight stadium tribute

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
The worst aspects of nsc pour out of the cesspit of abuse, lack of balance and reason yet again. Reading this site fills me with utter despair at times. Someone asks how we can give dick a tribute and cue vitriol and bile. The permission for the stadium did take far too long but that was through no fault of dicks or martins and to suggest that martin somehow shat on dick in any way is laughable.

The money for the stadium would have been gleaned in normal circumstances but the credit crunch saw to that and no lending institution at this time wanted to lend (and still doesnt) the amount we needed BEFORE the stadium has been built. To blame dick or any one for that is ridiculous. He and martin especially deserve a medal for perseverance if nothing else.

A statue, a stand, a bar, a walkway, does it really matter? No it doesnt, what matters is that there is one, cos he deserves it. Full stop, no arguments. Get on with it.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I'll say it again: the Albion mosaic, made up of Albion fans' photos, both still around today and who died during the long wait. Loads of threads on here about it already. Martin Perry has already said he likes the idea. Let's do it!

D

Deleted User X18H

Lazy get. He only lives round the corner.

Round the corner from what? He could have been going to Asda hardly strolling distance for a man of his age. Anyway I thought he lived off Shirley Drive? I have seen him in my locale. Not going to name the road of course.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The worst aspects of nsc pour out of the cesspit of abuse, lack of balance and reason yet again. Reading this site fills me with utter despair at times. Someone asks how we can give dick a tribute and cue vitriol and bile. The permission for the stadium did take far too long but that was through no fault of dicks or martins and to suggest that martin somehow shat on dick in any way is laughable.

The money for the stadium would have been gleaned in normal circumstances but the credit crunch saw to that and no lending institution at this time wanted to lend (and still doesnt) the amount we needed BEFORE the stadium has been built. To blame dick or any one for that is ridiculous. He and martin especially deserve a medal for perseverance if nothing else.

A statue, a stand, a bar, a walkway, does it really matter? No it doesnt, what matters is that there is one, cos he deserves it. Full stop, no arguments. Get on with it.

Hallelujah, totally agree. Finally someone also brings up the timing of the finance. To say we never had the money is totally disingenuous, at the time planning permission was originally granted the lending climate was completely different. It was only the complete collapse of the economy five years after we had the green light that made Bloom step in and save the day.

All the mealy mouthed if buts and maybes on this thread from the same old opponents of Dick Knight have disappointed me. The fact is, he got the job done, not other people whose mouths appeared to be bigger than their wallets. We should be very grateful to Dick Knight. Ironically I actually like the suggestion of naming of the approach road or gates after DK rather than a stand for some reason, but some sort of recognition is certainly in order.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Only my HO, but am I the only one who thinks this idea of something 'for all those who died waiting for the stadium' is a bit inappropriate?

There will have been many passionate Albion fans who will have died in the 14 years and yes, I'm sure they would have loved to see Falmer, but I'm also sure there were other things they were worried about during that time.

It's not quite the same as people who, say, died in the war from a particular town/city where a monument is more understandable. And ultimately you could end up doing this for anything that you had to wait for.

Just my opinion, and if all families and everyone else felt strongly the other way, then fair enough.

If Robert Eaton/REMF is to be recognised (and personally I would be in favour of that, because out of that tragedy a lot of good has been done in his name) it should be a stand-alone thing, or naming of something.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Only my HO, but am I the only one who thinks this idea of something 'for all those who died waiting for the stadium' is a bit inappropriate?

There will have been many passionate Albion fans who will have died in the 14 years and yes, I'm sure they would have loved to see Falmer, but I'm also sure there were other things they were worried about during that time.

It's not quite the same as people who, say, died in the war from a particular town/city where a monument is more understandable. And ultimately you could end up doing this for anything that you had to wait for.

Just my opinion, and if all families and everyone else felt strongly the other way, then fair enough.

If Robert Eaton/REMF is to be recognised (and personally I would be in favour of that, because out of that tragedy a lot of good has been done in his name) it should be a stand-alone thing, or naming of something.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here