Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diane Abbott in fine form this morning...

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Theresa May turned down an invitation well in advance because unsurprisingly she was rather busy.

Diane Abbott accepted an invitation to appear, had a third humiliating "car crash" interview the day before and then pulled out at the last minute saying she was 'feeling unwell'.

Not quite the same.

At least labour have a replacement available in the form of England phobic , heavyweight Emily Thornbury .

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Diane Abbott reminds me of being back at school and picking teams for lunch-time football.

Diane Abbott is the really shit kid that no one wants and is always left to the end where the teams each argue that the other side should have her. However on this occasion, her best mate Jeremy felt sorry for her, so made her one of his first picks.

Surely even Jeremy knows that Diane can't play football at all, and with his team facing a defeat he must be regretting having her on his side.

At that time, Jezza had to pick from a very small number actually backing him and not trying to kick him out. Spolit for choice he was not.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
She's only in the shadow cabinet because 1. she's his old bird, and 2. she was all that was left when most said they wouldn't work with Corbyn.

Beggar's cant be choosers.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Diane Abbott reminds me of being back at school and picking teams for lunch-time football.

Diane Abbott is the really shit kid that no one wants and is always left to the end where the teams each argue that the other side should have her. However on this occasion, her best mate Jeremy felt sorry for her, so made her one of his first picks.

Surely even Jeremy knows that Diane can't play football at all, and with his team facing a defeat he must be regretting having her on his side.

Great analogy, but you would usually stick the useless fat kid in goal, not give them the number 10 shirt!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
She's only in the shadow cabinet because 1. she's his old bird, and 2. she was all that was left when most said they wouldn't work with Corbyn.

Beggar's cant be choosers.

Oh yeah... that vote of no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn, less than 12 months ago, when Labour MPs voted 172-40. Amazing what a sniff of a ministerial pay packet and a bit of power will do.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Oh yeah... that vote of no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn, less than 12 months ago, when Labour MPs voted 172-40. Amazing what a sniff of a ministerial pay packet and a bit of power will do.

To be fair to those who voted against him, I haven't seen much evidence that many are now backing him. In fact some are still telling their local electors that it's okay, they can still vote Labour as he won't win.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

You're more confident in his judgement than I am. I really don't think he can see it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Having just watched that I actually feel sort for her , is she ill?

I think the best bit is when Dermot feeds her the detail about physical barriers. You can see her brain slowly turning the clogs as it tries to push the answer to her speech cords, then the answer slowly emerges bridges and......we could have done this earlier.

It's a bit like seeing a child answer a mental arithmetic question when they're not sure the answer is right.

Then when Dermot affirms the answer, I was surprised that Abbott didn't do a double fist pump and shout out yes, as she has answered a question correctly

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
You're more confident in his judgement than I am. I really don't think he can see it.

Nah, she's done I'm positive of it. That's why she's hidden away as much as possible, surely. I think the only reason she hasn't gone already is because they assume that it'll hurt the campaign but I'm not sure it wouldn't help at this point.

To be honest, I wonder if she even wants the job. Either way, whatever happens this week, she'll be gone by the end of it I recon.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Nah, she's done I'm positive of it. That's why she's hidden away as much as possible, surely. I think the only reason she hasn't gone already is because they assume that it'll hurt the campaign but I'm not sure it wouldn't help at this point.

To be honest, I wonder if she even wants the job. Either way, whatever happens this week, she'll be gone by the end of it I recon.
I hope so, she ducked a radio 4 interview this morning citing illness.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Also, Corbyn has been expected to lose by a distance ever since he became Labour's leader, so if they were to win, Abbott would take a lot of the credit. Corbyn has been single minded despite the opposition to him within his own party, and victory would only further embolden him against those that stood against him. I can't see why he'd pick anyone else.
Because although loyal she is patently a f@ckwit who would hamper delivery of anything meaningful. JC is not dim - she's been given a chance to impress and failed horribly.. It's the Lords or some other non-job for DA if Labour gets in under JC. If they don't then a schism is coming with the right wing of the PLP breaking away (again) and leaving the Tories in power for a good long stretch regardless of how awfully they do in government...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because although loyal she is patently a f@ckwit who would hamper delivery of anything meaningful. JC is not dim - she's been given a chance to impress and failed horribly..
Corbyn has known her for a long time, if he shared our opinion that she's not fit to govern, he'd never have let her in the cabinet. We think she's a liability, he doesn't.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Corbyn has known her for a long time, if he shared our opinion that she's not fit to govern, he'd never have let her in the cabinet. We think she's a liability, he doesn't.
I doubt we'll get a chance to find out...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I doubt we'll get a chance to find out...
Thankfully. The concern has to be that he does well enough to keep the leadership, giving the Tories a free rein and guaranteeing a tory government until 2027.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Surprise, surprise!

Diane Abbott, Shadow Home Secretary, has pulled out of the Evening Standard hustings this evening.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012

Partly so......but with so many people unwilling to be associated with the odious little man, he wasn't exactly spoilt for choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here