Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Detectorists BBC4 Thursday at 10pm

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for bouncing this thread. Stuck for something to watch last night and having somehow missewd this up to now, watched the first two episodes. Loved it. Perfect escape from all the real world doom and gloom. Can't wait to work through the rest.

I'll drink (lemonade) to that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only just saw Toby Jones in the Sherlock from about 10 years ago. Really fantastic performance, however, my favorite of his is still playing 'Nello' in the film 'Marvelous', if anyone here has never seen it, I could not recommend it enough. Both Lou Marcari and Gordon Banks say he is the greatest signing Stoke City ever made, Alongside Toby Jones they have all become life long friends.

Trailor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=f0k566wcK64&feature=emb_logo

This is a terrible copy of the film, I would recommend you find a better copy and settle down to one great film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTfL0FrUdZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BHQzB9S_kg

Interview with Toby Jones and Nello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=932zTuO1168
I watched that last night, with Jnr, the only place I could find it was YouTube.

I felt the need to keep saying 'remember it's a true story'.

It's as good now as it was 6 years ago.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I watched that last night, with Jnr, the only place I could find it was YouTube.

I felt the need to keep saying 'remember it's a true story'.

It's as good now as it was 6 years ago.

Just wonderful film. Lou Macari just shot up in my eyes after this. I heard him interviewed on Talksport a couple of years ago and he has such heartfelt affection for 'Nello' they were at some awards ceremony.

Toby Jones plays him perfectly. He can do no wrong in my eyes, although I have never seen the Dads Army remake, that may need to be swepped under the carpet...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just wonderful film. Lou Macari just shot up in my eyes after this. I heard him interviewed on Talksport a couple of years ago and he has such heartfelt affection for 'Nello' they were at some awards ceremony.

Toby Jones plays him perfectly. He can do no wrong in my eyes, although I have never seen the Dads Army remake, that may need to be swepped under the carpet...
Neil popped back into my mind a couple of weeks ago, when Peter Crouch was going through this phone address book. (Honest to god it was very funny).
Anyhoo, he randomly called out "Nello", one of the very few people olwho didn't have a secondary word that defined them.

Peter Insurance.
Dec - Ant.
Jane tickets.
Nello.

Etc.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Got as far as third series episode 1 which was stunningly funny so I am guessing series three was the best of the lot ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got as far as third series episode 1 which was stunningly funny so I am guessing series three was the best of the lot ?

Hold your horses.

Yesterday I finished series 2, I can't and won't comment but...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just finished series 3 and it was a magnificent TV, really clever and very funny

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just finished series 3 and it was a magnificent TV, really clever and very funny

I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

I rather went against the grain in saying I thought it tailed off slightly by series 3.
It took a long time to find the words but I eventually came to the conclusion it became less of an ensemble piece and more 'The Andy & Lance show'.

I still maintain the summer movie blockbuster the world has been waiting for is:-

'Russell & Hugh's Big Weekend'.

I thought they Sheila and the Dirt Sharks were underused in series 3, which knocked it down from a 10 to 9.9.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe it's a seasonal thing.
Deepest darkest winter = rewatch Dectorists.
Although this time I'm partly inspired by The Dig and my 'recurring joke' thread on here.

Anyhoo last week Jnr was asking about a comedy to watch.
"Try this, but I'm not sure you'll get the references and pace"

We watched the first 2 episodes and he loved it.

I then accidentally watch the rest of series 1 all of series 2 and the Christmas special.

Jnr now wants to pick up where he left off, so last night I watched S1 ep 3 & 4 - and still laughed my freakin head off.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Gutted. Saw this thread bubble up and thought there maybe a lockdown season 4 coming

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gutted. Saw this thread bubble up and thought there maybe a lockdown season 4 coming

Nope, Mackenzie has said he can't imagine ever returning to Danbury.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I absolutely love this programme, but I'm pleased they're leaving it where it is. I think they wrapped things up nicely. Sometimes a really decent programme can keep reaching for another series and end up ruining what went before it.

If a programme has big story arc, that spans several series then obviously, it makes sense to keep it running. But when a programme has series that tend to be largely self contained, thats when i think they can run into problems. I'm a big fan of finshing on a high even if that means less series.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I absolutely love this programme, but I'm pleased they're leaving it where it is. I think they wrapped things up nicely. Sometimes a really decent programme can keep reaching for another series and end up ruining what went before it.

If a programme has big story arc, that spans several series then obviously, it makes sense to keep it running. But when a programme has series that tend to be largely self contained, thats when i think they can run into problems. I'm a big fan of finshing on a high even if that means less series.

I agree, I think they have wrapped up the story nicely. it's now there to go back and enjoy at your leisure anytime you want.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I agree, I think they have wrapped up the story nicely. it's now there to go back and enjoy at your leisure anytime you want.

Absolutely, and it will remain brilliant every time you watch it. It really is a masterpiece.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I thought I'd better quantify that statement and instead found this:-

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6139/detectorists-revival/

Appearing on Zoe Ball's Radio 2 breakfast show to promote the Christmas Eve return of his BBC One Worzel Gummidge adaptation, he confirmed that "it's true, I am kind of thinking of it but I don't have any idea at the moment.

"I'm just starting the process of thinking 'yeah, we should get the old band back together'. One last time!"

:vuvu:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Every time I see this thread bounce I think there is some news on a fourth series.

A hypothetical question, if you could choose which under the radar comedy classic to have watched, would you pick Detectorists, or Early Doors?

Early doors for me personally.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Every time I see this thread bounce I think there is some news on a fourth series.

A hypothetical question, if you could choose which under the radar comedy classic to have watched, would you pick Detectorists, or Early Doors?

Early doors for me personally.

Count Arthur Strong for me.

Plenty of snippets on YouTube to dip your toe in with.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bet he was a Dirt Shark.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-56945507

Funny to read that article and have it make perfect sense.

For absolutely no reason, no reason at all, a few weeks ago I guess my brain decided I needed a chuckle.
So randomly I found myself laughing at:-

"and Larry's invisible dogs have gone missing".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here