Derby sign Tom Ince: £4.75 million

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
If he was as good as the hype surrounding him he'd be signing for a premier league club not Derby, It's got all the hallmarks of when we signed CMS.

I think it is more like Zaha like hype then CMS, the whole of the footballing world seemed to be raving about him at one point. I thought him going to Inter was a great and a brave move, few kids do that so I was disappointed when he choose Hull instead! I cant think of any young English prospects that tried their hand at learning the footballing trade abroad, which IMO is one floor in the National side.

He clearly has potential, he has shown flashes of great skill, I just dont know whats holding him back and why he cant hold down a place at these clubs.

I cant see bouncing club is doing him any good. I couldnt believe he told Southgate that he didnt wanna be considered for the U21 Euros, what a joke.

TangerineArmy

Jan 29, 2015
Great player that can rip through defences in championship and imo great signing for derby. worst thing for us (bar oyston) was his dad managing him.

hey ho good luck this season. as for us... Let's hope they accept the bst offer for the cub on Tuesday... But I doubt it. #footballfirst #oystonout
all the best chaps

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought him going to Inter was a great and a brave move, few kids do that so I was disappointed when he choose Hull instead! I cant think of any young English prospects that tried their hand at learning the footballing trade abroad, which IMO is one floor in the National side.
Owen Hargreaves?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I cant think of any young English prospects that tried their hand at learning the footballing trade abroad, which IMO is one floor in the National side.

Dale Jennings left Tranmere for Bayern, though that didn't work out terribly well. Also Michael Mancienne leaving Chelsea to sign for Hamburg.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Are we the only club in the top two divisions that Tom Ince hasn't played for recently?

Will all go tits up for Derby as it always does, so nothing to worry about.

More or less this. He played 37 games last season for Hull, Nottingham Forest and Derby and was only on the winning side ten times. Two of those victories were in the early rounds of the Europa League and one was against Blackpool. He was even on the losing side against us, FFS!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Dale Jennings left Tranmere for Bayern, though that didn't work out terribly well. Also Michael Mancienne leaving Chelsea to sign for Hamburg.

You don't think he always dreamed of playing for MK Dons? The smell of KFC wafting through the air as 7,000 fans politely applaud you into the concrete bowl... wonderful.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
How nice would it be to miss out on the playoffs having lost in them the previous year and instead of selling off every saleable player because they want out, to be able to spend and strengthen the team. Funny how Derby have managed to sign players who don't feel the need to leave after a playoff disappointment. I always had my doubts about how hard we tried to keep our best players. I guess not strengthening could have had a big influence on those players.

What's the old cliche about a h'apworth of tar?

So no other player apart from Buckley and Ulloa was sellable ? Why didn't we sell anyone else in your view of that was the plan ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So no other player apart from Buckley and Ulloa was sellable ? Why didn't we sell anyone else in your view of that was the plan ?

Bridcutt may have had a different outlook if we had shown we meant to have another genuine attempt. Bridge would apparently have stayed, I imagine Upson would also have stayed last season if we were showing ambition. Are you denying that we downgraded on all the players we lost? I mean really? I know you cannot bear any criticism whatsoever of the club but can you not see that if we'd shown the sort of ambition Derby are showing that we could have kept our best players, including Ulloa and Buckley. I'm not saying we should have, just how good it would have been if we could have, just like Derby have done. Instead we got a season from hell.

I am just dreaming of how nice it would have been to have carried on showing real ambition after one big push. I know the reasons we couldn't but can't I mention that I wish we had without you jumping down my throat? :lolol:

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am just dreaming of how nice it would have been to have carried on showing real ambition after one big push. I know the reasons we couldn't but can't I mention that I wish we had without you jumping down my throat? :lolol:

Increasingly it seems not. More and more it seems that nuance, context, and proportionality is not to be found here.

Think we only kept a clean sheet because expert analyst Warren Aspinall says (and Adam Virgo, but he apparently doesn't know what he's talking about, just trying to create controversy to make a name for himself, and we should instead listen to Warren), having looked at a replay, the ref shouldn't have given a foul and disallowed a goal? Well you're desperate for the team to lose just so you can moan.

£45 too much for you to pay for a football shirt, leaving you disappointed that you won't be able to afford to show your support? Well, you're an ungrateful twerp who doesn't understand how hard the club works to find a balance that cost/demand balance to make the most money to

Disappointed that Saturday 3pm being moved to a Friday 7:45pm kick off makes it impossible for you to attend? Don't be so flipping selfish - there are lots of others who can now attend because they had plans for the Saturday.

Don't know enough about a new signing to effervesce with excitement about him joining us? Well, with fans like you I wonder why Tony Bloom keeps investing.

Would have loved to have attended the amex for the fixtures announcement but because we weren't told about it until the evening before you couldn't book the time off work and mention the inconvenience? Think a legend re-joining in the twilight of his careers isn't enough on its own to boost your confidence for next season? Wistfully dream of being in a better position financially to challenge for promotion and premier league success? Piglets pies not to your taste? Well you burn in hell, mister. You are a troll, a palace fan, and have no right to call yourself a Brighton fan. People like you make me sick to my stomach. You have zero appreciation for what a tough job Paul Barber has, and what Tony Bloom has given to this club. You are no better than the person who starts a thread at best out of ignorance, at worst malevolence, calling the club arrogant/self important.

The number of people who, genuinely, express the sort of extreme unappreciative criticisms, whose complaints are delivered without any appreciation for the club's position, difficulties, investments, is incredibly small and of zero importance.

The defensive reaction of some fans, that any complaint - regardless of how respectful or personal - must be shouted down, and painted as ridiculously unreasonable makes it seem like there is more negativity in the fan base than there actually is, thus causing more complaints about negativity that isn't actually there to any noteworthy level.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Increasingly it seems not. More and more it seems that nuance, context, and proportionality is not to be found here.

Think we only kept a clean sheet because expert analyst Warren Aspinall says (and Adam Virgo, but he apparently doesn't know what he's talking about, just trying to create controversy to make a name for himself, and we should instead listen to Warren), having looked at a replay, the ref shouldn't have given a foul and disallowed a goal? Well you're desperate for the team to lose just so you can moan.

£45 too much for you to pay for a football shirt, leaving you disappointed that you won't be able to afford to show your support? Well, you're an ungrateful twerp who doesn't understand how hard the club works to find a balance that cost/demand balance to make the most money to

Disappointed that Saturday 3pm being moved to a Friday 7:45pm kick off makes it impossible for you to attend? Don't be so flipping selfish - there are lots of others who can now attend because they had plans for the Saturday.

Don't know enough about a new signing to effervesce with excitement about him joining us? Well, with fans like you I wonder why Tony Bloom keeps investing.

Would have loved to have attended the amex for the fixtures announcement but because we weren't told about it until the evening before you couldn't book the time off work and mention the inconvenience? Think a legend re-joining in the twilight of his careers isn't enough on its own to boost your confidence for next season? Wistfully dream of being in a better position financially to challenge for promotion and premier league success? Piglets pies not to your taste? Well you burn in hell, mister. You are a troll, a palace fan, and have no right to call yourself a Brighton fan. People like you make me sick to my stomach. You have zero appreciation for what a tough job Paul Barber has, and what Tony Bloom has given to this club. You are no better than the person who starts a thread at best out of ignorance, at worst malevolence, calling the club arrogant/self important.

The number of people who, genuinely, express the sort of extreme unappreciative criticisms, whose complaints are delivered without any appreciation for the club's position, difficulties, investments, is incredibly small and of zero importance.

The defensive reaction of some fans, that any complaint - regardless of how respectful or personal - must be shouted down, and painted as ridiculously unreasonable makes it seem like there is more negativity in the fan base than there actually is, thus causing more complaints about negativity that isn't actually there to any noteworthy level.

Blimey Acker.....

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Owen Hargreaves?

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/d...eth-southgate-on-players-moving-abroad-030715

Eric Dier came through at Sporting, which is where Ryan Gauld (albeit Scottish) went last summer and has done alright by all accounts. So there are a few.

I mean more well known players, like Tom Ince for example with abit of hype around them. But yeah fair play to Jennings, never hear of Mancienne TBH and like someone else mentioned Owen Hargreaves doesnt reeeeeeeally count. Funnily enough I bought Eric Dier on Fifa haha

But you guys get my point though, its very rare for young English players to go abroad. If more English players did go abroad, just like other national teams like, Brazil, Spain, Italy, Chile, Argentina, France, Germany etc have Im sure it would stand the national team in better stead. Not only would it give players more in depth insight on the way foreign teams/countries train, play and think, it would give them better or rather a DIFFERENT mentality on football that you only get when living and training in that environment. It may also calm their egos abit. Imagine Jack Wilshere, Nathan Clyne, Sterling, Ings, Barkley or Harry Kane playing in Spain for a few years, I think it would be great for them and the national side.

Micah Richards might be better off now hes come back to the Prem after playing in Italy for a while. Though he is slightly older. But if 19, 20, 21 years went abroad for a few years, especially if they have international experience I just think it would be great for the national side.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Aren't they positioned as favourites every year? Then something goes wrong.

Eh? We may have been amongst the favourites last season but before that, no.... But yes, it did go a bit Pete Tong March onwards

It's not about having the best or most expensive players it's about having the best team, Big spending Derby had Ince last season but small spending Ipswich still finished above them.

Entirely agree with part 1 but big spending Derby last season???

Says a lot when Hull just want rid even though they are in the same league.

They definitely didn't want rid....

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

And every single one of them is on NSC.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Can you not see that if we'd shown the sort of ambition we could have kept our best players....

I am just dreaming of how nice it would have been to have carried on showing real ambition after one big push.

No throat jumping. Just interested in understanding your point about Derby compared to the Albion. So ambition or "real" ambition in your view means Albion, ie: Tony Bloom should have spent more money. ?
and that presumably his existing investment (£205m in 5 years or so) is not enough. And Derby's spending is the yardstick by which ambition or real ambition can be measured ?
Is that correct ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports