Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby and Fulham bid for Dunk [+ Newcastle now interested]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Top 6 in two seasons, Top 10 in another. Just one bad season in 4. In my mind we're a decent striker away from being promoting-chasing once more, i.e. in that second quarter of the table.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If Dunk goes we need 3/4 new centre backs. We are royally ****ed in that position. Greer was great in League One a few years back but now has the turning circle of the QE2 and was at least partially at fault for a very high number of goals

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
If Dunk goes we need 3/4 new centre backs. We are royally ****ed in that position. Greer was great in League One a few years back but now has the turning circle of the QE2 and was at least partially at fault for a very high number of goals

So were Dunk and Stockdale though, to be fair. Agree that Greer is past it though. Was good enough for our first few season but seemed to be losing it towards the end of Oscar Garcia's reign.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I suppose it's good that other teams actually want our players, but the recent trend does seem to be sell and replace with inferior quality. Lets hope the DS throws out some gems.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I hope th Club won't sell him for 4m when we would need to spend at least that to replace him.

I think we could get two player for £2m each and would be an improvement to our defence. Dunk is not worth £4m IMO, it's his age that hikes his price up.

I think we should be looking at Curtis Nelson. 22, Plymouth Captain. From what iv'e seen of him he could make the step up and would be be relativly cheap.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Maybe we should sell our star striker to Leicester for £10m... And a winger and defensive midfielder for another £6m combined. We'd have loads of money to spend then.

Fair point.

I must say, I expected a fairly large net spend this summer. It's not as if we've spent 10m and could do with recouping a bit.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think we could get two player for £2m each and would be an improvement to our defence. Dunk is not worth £4m IMO, it's his age that hikes his price up.

I think we should be looking at Curtis Nelson. 22, Plymouth Captain. From what iv'e seen of him he could make the step up and would be be relativly cheap.

Where are we going to get two central defenders of an equivalent quality for the same amount of money and if we can do it why aren't Fulham.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

I'm sure in the immediate short term Rea could slot in although I had fondly imagined that he and Dunk could form our first choice central defence in the not too far distant future.
Nelson is a good shout for one to bring through. Only seen him once but he seemed to be fairly commanding with decent positional sense. I'd love to see us sign a replacement first though plus an experienced player to push/cover Gordon Greer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Top 6 in two seasons, Top 10 in another. Just one bad season in 4. In my mind we're a decent striker away from being promoting-chasing once more, i.e. in that second quarter of the table.

Credit for the positive attitude. Last season, as a team we were much weaker than previous seasons. IMO we need more than a decent striker, we need the service to him, which was lacking all last season as well as a solid back line.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Every player has his price I guess but as it stands we would be foolish to accept this bid. Firstly the buying team is one we want to finish above if we are targeting plays offs and secondly Greer is injured, has played 7 minutes this season and is a week at least from fitness. Dunk leaves now and we are left with Rea and Calderon? at CB. For once sell when and if we need to as other clubs appear able to do.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
If Fulham can sell an 18 year old as yet unproven player to Man City for a POTENTIAL £11m, then they can afford to shell out at least another £2m on Dunk if they want him.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Where are we going to get two central defenders of an equivalent quality for the same amount of money and if we can do it why aren't Fulham.
Maybe their scouting network doesn't stretch beyond England's top 2 divisions?

Fulham spunked £10m on Ross McCormack this time last year. Meanwhile, Bournmouth spent around a 5th of that on Callum Wilson.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Big market out there in the football world. I'm not a scout. We signed Greer for 300K (?) and ignoring the last season and a half, he's been a better player than Dunk was last year.

As for Fulham, they spent £11m on Ross McCormack so maybe they just enjoy spending more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why's everyone getting titsy about this?
If Dunk leaves he leaves, not much anyone can do about that.

But if Barber's Albion is good at one thing, that one thing has to be getting over and above top dollar in the bank, through transfer fees.

If the Albion value LD at say £6m, you can be pretty sure he'll not be leaving for less than £8m.
Just like everybody else we're a 'selling club', unlike everybody else, we seem bloody good at it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why's everyone getting titsy about this?
If Dunk leaves he leaves, not much anyone can do about that.

But if Barber's Albion is good at one thing, that one thing has to be getting over and above top dollar in the bank, through transfer fees.

If the Albion value LD at say £6m, you can be pretty sure he'll not be leaving for less than £8m.
Just like everybody else we're a 'selling club', unlike everybody else, we seem bloody good at it.

:thumbsup:

If only we could apply the same skills to buying :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here