Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby and Fulham bid for Dunk [+ Newcastle now interested]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know they're in the PL, but would that be a good move for him? They're unlikely to do much better than struggle towards mid-table, and Newcastle fans are likely to turn on him as fast as Sunderland fans turned on Bridcutt and Buckley if he so much as makes a mistake.

In his shoes, would you turn down the chance to leave a club that avoided relegation to League One to join one that avoided relegation from the Premier League. Throw in the fact he will probably triple his salary. It really is a no brainer from the players point of view.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Usual question. Has this come from a reliable source ? Or a lazy journalist who has decided that Lewis Dunk + potential lower Premier League interest= Newcastle United are circling ?

Why don't we just add a 4.5 million pound bid from Aston Villa for good measure ?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Hull dropped 2.5m on Harry Maguire from Sheffield United a year or so ago. So 5m for Dunk from Newcastle seems like a good price to me.

He was playing lower level football and hasn't made step up to prem yet.

Dunk is erratic but has moments of top 6 quality. £3M, one of their players on loan and like 20% sell on would do me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame t'other fella isn't still at Blunderland.

A nice little bidding war between those 2 would have been interesting.

Anyone talking less than £5m for the Championship's best rated young English player has no concept of modern soccerball economics.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I like Dunk a lot, but is he really the championships best rated young English player? For me he's too erratic for that. Seems to me he's a confidence player. When he's on it he's great, but it slips every so often. He might struggle to step up a level without careful management and support.

He's still worth at least £3m though

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Newcastle have offered 5million then he is 'worth' 5million.

The hope is that CH is given the entire 5million to finance new players, and that we can also extend Ince's contract beyond next summer.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I like Dunk a lot, but is he really the championships best rated young English player? For me he's too erratic for that. Seems to me he's a confidence player. When he's on it he's great, but it slips every so often. He might struggle to step up a level without careful management and support.

He's still worth at least £3m though

I would have thought it was Will Hughes, Demarai Gray or Patrick Roberts?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Personally I think this is not good news. We really do need to keep hold of our young players if weare going to progress. This business about selling and reinvesting that will bring rewards didn't exactly work with ulloa!

I think if the club look to offload dunk and jfc, that will confirm a lot of people's view that the Amex is a white elephant that we can only afford by selling our best players. I am not sure I subscribe to that view, but I can see where they are coming from.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Personally I think this is not good news. We really do need to keep hold of our young players if weare going to progress. This business about selling and reinvesting that will bring rewards didn't exactly work with ulloa!

I think if the club look to offload dunk and jfc, that will confirm a lot of people's view that the Amex is a white elephant that we can only afford by selling our best players. I am not sure I subscribe to that view, but I can see where they are coming from.

Reflects my thoughts exactly.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I know the buying side of your transfer policy has been a bit dodgy last 18 months or so, you can't really fault the selling, each of Bridcutt, Buckley, Ulloa etc went for very good money and I think you got top dollar for them. If you get anything even close to £5m for Dunk then that would top the lot, really really silly money,

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's not a case of looking to offload players, it's that if a far better opportunity comes along, and a player wants to take it, it's almost impossible to resist.

Like it or not, moving to the Newcastle, which means the Premier League and a massive pay increase, will be massively attractive to a young player.

If and when that happens, there is little point trying to fight what is almost inevitable, but it becomes a matter of securing the best deal for the Albion.

The only real answer to this is the Albion being in the Premier League themselves.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

We are not (nor is any other team with our championship standing) in a position to prevent young players furthering their careers in the Premier league. If Newcastle want Lewis, do you think he is going to say, "no thanks, i'd rather stay at the Albion". He will want to take advantage of the opportunity and the club will make sure they get top dollar just as they did with Bridcutt, Buckley and Ulloa.

We do not have to sell Dunk, so going by recent transfer dealings we'll play hardball and get a good price, and £5m in my view represents good value. Much less than that does not.

I personally think providing a gateway to career advancement could prove useful in making the Albion an attractive destination for ambitious young players. Championship clubs (not just the Albion) will always get trumped by Premier League clubs, there is not a lot we can do to stop it, we can however make sure we do not get ripped off.

As for the benefit of the Ulloa money, as I understand it that was not in last years pot, but has gone into this years accounts freeing up some much needed cash players this summer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We are not (nor is any other team with our championship standing) in a position to prevent young players furthering their careers in the Premier league. If Newcastle want Lewis, do you think he is going to say, "no thanks, i'd rather stay at the Albion". He will want to take advantage of the opportunity and the club will make sure they get top dollar just as they did with Bridcutt, Buckley and Ulloa.

We do not have to sell Dunk, so going by recent transfer dealings we'll play hardball and get a good price, and £5m in my view represents good value. Much less than that does not.

I personally think providing a gateway to career advancement could prove useful in making the Albion an attractive destination for ambitious young players. Championship clubs (not just the Albion) will always get trumped by Premier League clubs, there is not a lot we can do to stop it, we can however make sure we do not get ripped off.

As for the benefit of the Ulloa money, as I understand it that was not in last years pot, but has gone into this years accounts freeing up some much needed cash players this summer.

That is one of the most encouraging sentences I have ever read on NSC :rock:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

So it's really just a matter of time then until we sign some players with serious quality..... I look forward to that.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
So it's really just a matter of time then until we sign some players with serious quality..... I look forward to that.

The cavaet being that we know what a quality player actually looks like. We seemed to have a bit of a problem with that last season.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The cavaet being that we know what a quality player actually looks like. We seemed to have a bit of a problem with that last season.

Like this, perhaps?

leo.jpg

...and lo and behold, we're back where we started...

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

That's my worry but let's hope for better this time round. I really want to watch games this season with a renewed sense of enthusiasm and hope. The last campaign really knocked the stuffing out of me in terms of just how poor we were; and how little effort the club seemingly made to improve things on the playing front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here