Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Depression

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For all the people on here who have stated they are on anti-depressants, I'm sure there are more people who won't disclose such information. This issue, more than any other I think, makes me wonder what went wrong with Western society. Personally, I put it down to a lack of family support. Whereas in times gone by and in other cultures, there is a network of extended family to help people deal with problems, nowadays people rush about, move away from home, and are pressured into unrealistic expectations (even if these expectations seem trivial to the outsider).

I really hope all those people on anti-depressants on here manage to beat their demons. It's a really awful place to be. :(

I also think we use the term too flippantly and freely these days. I recently heard Robbie Savage mentioned he suffered from depression during his football career. Was this actually clinically diagnosed or his interpretation/description of a period in his life when he was feeling low? I do not know.

I am not for one minute wanting to belittle the illness, or make any statements about any individual's illness. Far from it. I work in neuroscience, my mother suffered and one of my best friends changed dramatically from a fun loving upwardly moving professional and family man. I am glad it is something which can be talked about openly but, I do feel in some cases there is a need for the public to better understand what the term depression actually fully means and entails-I'm not sure this is always the case.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
stressed_out_cat.jpg

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
As I work for myself I have disclosed this information and tried to offer support to others. If I was employed I definately would not disclose this. Not that it is anything to be ashamed of but if they have a list of people they will not go for someone who is deemed to be suffering from depression imo.

I lost my job due to it in the end, was made to feel awful by my boss, so i decided to walk, was signed of work due to it and he used to hassle me all the time, i went back a couple o times but just couldnt cope.

Even today i still get beaten up by it, i have given up Booze totally now which is hard as i do enjoy a pint, but it dont mix with my meds and its a depressant itself.

Guys its gets better it has to, and we will all make it through the other side, think of the good times and not the bad, get out the house do things, stay active and dont do what i do and shut everyone out as i dont have friends now just my family.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Good luck mate. Keep battling on. The reason I raised this was I have been on Citalopram at 20mg for 10 weeks and went cold turkey 10 days ago. I have been experiencing brain fog and brain zaps which looking at people's experiences of withdrawals seems to be common.

Had exactly the same when I came off them, I should of weaned myself off but just stopped. That was 3 years ago now nearly to the day, horrible for a month or two but a pleased to say I now feel better than ever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here