[Albion] Deniz Undav - season long loan to Stuttgart confirmed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I can see Stuttgart cashing in on Guirassy (to Spurs or Arsenal?) this month before he leaves on a free.

That then fills the coffers for them to grab Undav 😞

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I watch a lot of the Bundesliga, I love it, it is great entertainment but is definitely not the highest technical standard and defending generally there is really not great. It is the league to go to for misfiring strikers. It’s a lot easier to score goals there than here. I would get no more excited signing a high scoring striker from the Bundesliga than I would Eredivisie or Ligue 1. In fact, I’d always look to Ligue 1 ahead of other leagues.

His overall game is not good enough for us. I would sell him and be delighted if we got over £10m for him.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
9 goals in 14 appearances for 3rd placed Stuttgart.

I miss him.
He was just starting to come good when he was allowed to go, agree with your sentiments, its a weird one.

He definitely offers different type of option to Welbeck, Ferguson and Pedro and was good enough at this level. Hopefully we'll see him return?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
so by the same token a younger Glen Murray wouldn't make the squad either because Undav is definitely of the Murray mould.?
Is he? Murray at 27-30 years old was very much an all-round striker. Lacked pace, sure, but his ability to bring others into play, hold the ball up, win tactical fouls, contribute defensively, lead the line as (often) the lone striker AND score 10-20 goals a season in both the Championship and the Premier League. Undav is a goalscorer (and a fine one at that) with none of the above attributes.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He was just starting to come good when he was allowed to go, agree with your sentiments, its a weird one.

He definitely offers different type of option to Welbeck, Ferguson and Pedro and was good enough at this level. Hopefully we'll see him return?
Not for him it wasn't. Strikers need to be playing and scoring goals, he's have been our 4th choice option this season. I bet he's loving life at the moment, and made the right decision.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can anyone actually confirm if there’s been a good source as to if they have a buy option..? If there is then it’s out of our hands whether he comes back or not…

I know there has been some personal issues but really hope we’ve left the door open for him to return…

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I will be surprised if we see him again in an Albion shirt. He’s starting for Stuttgart, scoring goals and is on the verge of a call-up to the national team in his homeland. He’s very happy there.
Agreed. My guess is that we'll try and get the best price for him that we can (I don't think his was a loan to buy deal, was it?) In an ideal world, maybe we could recall him and let Ferguson go out on loan and play regularly and get his form back, but I can't see that happening. I don't suppose Undav wants to sit out half a season back here as a third choice, and it's possible a loan wouldn't be the way ahead for Ferguson anyway - it's not the only development path to the first team (see Hinshelwood).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Agreed. My guess is that we'll try and get the best price for him that we can (I don't think his was a loan to buy deal, was it?) In an ideal world, maybe we could recall him and let Ferguson go out on loan and play regularly and get his form back, but I can't see that happening. I don't suppose Undav wants to sit out half a season back here as a third choice, and it's possible a loan wouldn't be the way ahead for Ferguson anyway - it's not the only development path to the first team (see Hinshelwood).
Out of interest why do you think Ferguson is out of form? He’s a player who thrives on chances created it’s not like he’s missing sitters they just have been few and far between without the supply from Pervis, Mitoma & co.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Out of interest why do you think Ferguson is out of form? He’s a player who thrives on chances created it’s not like he’s missing sitters they just have been few and far between without the supply from Pervis, Mitoma & co.
Because he's a striker who is not scoring, and by general consensus has looked out of sorts lately.

Anyway, the supply can't have been that bad - 8 goals in the last three matches (none by Ferguson) shows that chances have been available.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Isn't the problem he's not getting into positions to score. Doesn't seem to hold the ball up & lay it off very often, most times balls played up to him just bounce off him or he tries to turn the CH who knows he's going to do that & just nicks the ball off him. At the mo seems to lack a bit of confidence in general play & getting a lot more close attention from defenders. He has to learn to deal with this. Needs to discover Murray's way of finding space in the box to attack balls coming in not just wait on the edge to shot from there.

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
Def feels like he's happier in Germany, but if there isn't buy clause the more he scores will be increasing the asking price though...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Re Ferguson. He's a very very young player trying to mix it with gnarled PL defenders. He'll peak in about 8 years. Maybe more. Don't worry if he has a few quiet games.

Re Undav. I liked him and thought he would come good in the PL. Though if I'm honest, I also thought that about Zeqiri, Connolly and about 6 others in the PL era. I defer to greater judges of a player if they choose to make a sale. Equally if he comes back i'll be delighted.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
14 goals and 5 assists in 19 appearances across all competitions this season so far. Talking about being in the German Euro squad.

Hope so. Not only increase his value for us, but I like the bloke, seems a decent fella.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
14 goals and 5 assists in 19 appearances across all competitions this season so far. Talking about being in the German Euro squad.

Hope so. Not only increase his value for us, but I like the bloke, seems a decent fella.
Would be amazing to have TWO Brighton players in the Germany squad for Euro24.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I presume he would have stayed if we hadn't had the Ansu Fati loan lined up?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bild has previously reported that his buy option is for 18m Euro, increasing if Stuttgart qualify for Europe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports