[Albion] Deniz Undav - season long loan to Stuttgart confirmed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
As it appears it was Deniz himself that pushed for this, you think he's made a mistake in asking for a loan?
100% this - the article announcing it on the club website is pretty unequivocal that the club wanted him to stay but Deniz wants regular starts. Understandable that a chance to go back to Germany and start in the Bundesliga each match is preferable to sitting on the bench - just such a shame as he could have made some extremely valuable contributions, especially in the Europa League.

Hope it goes excellently for him - will miss his super sub appearances.

EDIT: There is every chance in 12 months time that he might be in a position to surpass Welbeck's contributions and Ferguson might have been snapped up by somebody else, giving him a pathway to regular starts. Who knows?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
He's back!

Anyone else think we could do with him as an option right now?

Yes I do. Pedro's work is excellent but no where near as good as Undav's finishing, except maybe pens.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yes I do. Pedro's work is excellent but no where near as good as Undav's finishing, except maybe pens.
Therein is the problem with him. His finishing was unbelievable, possibly one of the best the club has ever seen. It was just the rest of his game that wasn't up to much.

He was getting better though which is why I still think it is odd we shipped him out.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Yes His % of goals from chances will always be good Maybe outside of box not great but movement and first touch in box is good I can only presume he was told he was 4th chice and wanted out.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I wonder if there would have been a role for him in this team - we have loads of Chiefs but nobody capable of just playing the width the penalty area. We have more than enough talent outside the box but we need someone making runs in the area and being right at the top end of the pitch. I don't rate him as a player, but his finishing was quality and he would be scoring goals in this side but doing nothing else - which would be fine by me.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes His % of goals from chances will always be good Maybe outside of box not great but movement and first touch in box is good I can only presume he was told he was 4th chice and wanted out.
And that was before we signed Fati

But again, now Welbeck is out for a while, Ferguson probably isn't 100% fit and Joao Pedro has had a mixed start in front of goal, an option like Undav would certainly be getting some minutes. Still footballers come and go.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Therein is the problem with him. His finishing was unbelievable, possibly one of the best the club has ever seen. It was just the rest of his game that wasn't up to much.

He was getting better though which is why I still think it is odd we shipped him out.
I've heard he needed to return to Germany for personal reasons. Initially it was to be permanent but obviously he wanted to have the option of returning next season so ended as a loan

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm basing this on not a great deal, but I get the impression there was more to him moving back to Germany than just football. There were some personal things going on, I seem to remember, so it MIGHT have been the case that he asked to leave to be closer to home? Therefore, we could want him back as much as possible, but he might not be open to it.

On the whole, I think the squad is fine – albeit a bit injury-hit at the moment. The likes of Pedro are the future; Undav is, sadly, probably the past.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Undav's stock only rose off the back of a couple of well-taken lobbing-the-keeper goals. Other than that he never looked much more than a slower lardier version of Maupay. Pedro is clearly an upgrade in every department
Ahhh, not sure, Pedro has shelled some absolute sitters.

On the evidence we have so far, Undav is far better in front of goal.

Though i'm happy to concede that we've seen a fairly small sample size on both and at Joao Pedro's age, we can reasonably expect improvement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports