Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defensive and direct

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If we were a boxer we could take a punch and that is a lot of what it is about,we just need to work on our combinations a bit more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Never said it doesn't work it's just a predictable set up but luckily we have the players to make it hard to play against even if they know exactly how we will play!
I don't imagine. for one minute, luck comes into it.

Take a bow Mr Hughton.

We're watching a professional team, being managed and coached by an astute, confident man, who somewhat rarely for football, doesn't feel the need to feed his ego.

I should caveat this praise by pointing out I include myself in the group of fans, who need to 'suck it up' when CH's 70 minute substitutions are made, giving way to a fraught closing 20 minutes.
I don't get it, I don't like it, and I think in the long run it may well cost CH dearly.
But as said, I need to suck it up when it generates 3 filthy points from Wigan.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It's hardly a continent apart.
Anyway I do see the team as defensive, there aren't any 'suicide missions', no matter how far up field Bruno and Bong find themselves, it's always calculated so are very rarely out of position. Away from dead ball situations the centre backs hold their position and line.
While the centre midfield always begin on their toes.

But it's working so why is this a problem for posters?
Why the need to run away from a compliment?

This whole thread was set up as if the Albion had been slighted by the term 'defensive and direct'.
The team is, that's how the manager likes it, and it works.

AN is basically saying 'they're defensive and direct and we can't defend for Italy'.

Does anyone think AN would turn his nose up at the Albion's defensive capabilities?
Of course he wouldn't he'd bite your freakin hand off, for a clean sheet.

Experimental 3-6-1 shows that, so far this season, we have been more attacking than Norwich, just less effective in front of goal.

https://experimental361.com/2016/10/20/scatter-graphics-championship-20-oct-2016/

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
In fairness Ray Charles could be more effective in front of goal.

I seem to remember reading that, when he quit heroin, Ray Charles employed someone to keep him constantly supplied all day every day with mugs of half black coffee, half gin (two sugars) and carried this on for the rest of his life. Add in the fact that he was blind and would be 98 this year if he wasn't dead and I think that he would be an awful striker. I'd still have picked him in front of Leon Best though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wow can't believe some of the comments on here! We are far from 'defensive' - I'd say the opposite.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe someone should tell Alex Neil that because a team is good defensively does not mean that they are a defensive team. Maybe that's why they are conceding so many goals if he and his team is dismissing off had the oppositions attacking qualities out of hand.

Perhaps they should think about sacking the scouts that go and watch the opposition before they play them

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Wow can't believe some of the comments on here! We are far from 'defensive' - I'd say the opposite.

Indeed and seems to largely be based on goals scored which is not a reflection of how we have approached games. We are strong defensively but that is not the same thing as having a defensive approach to games

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Does Lewis Dunk's repeated raking 50-yard passes to Knockaert's chest/feet count as direct football?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

As said I guess this more to do with posters perception of the word 'defensive'.
I'm more than happy to be defensive and direct all the time they are being bloody good at it.
Can you imagine watching your defensive side repeatedly lose 1-0.

I wonder how many possible left backs we'll end today's game, on the pitch!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does Lewis Dunk's repeated raking 50-yard passes to Knockaert's chest/feet count as direct football?
Considerably more direct than Greer to Dunk to Bridcutt to Dunk to Bridcutt to Greer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
5-0! Who's defensive now.....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were.

To me that was the perfect explanation of defensive and direct.

AN knew it was coming and still his team crumbled under the pressure exerted from both ends of the pitch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Maybe someone should tell Alex Neil that because a team is good defensively does not mean that they are a defensive team. Maybe that's why they are conceding so many goals if he and his team is dismissing off had the oppositions attacking qualities out of hand.

Perhaps they should think about sacking the scouts that go and watch the opposition before they play them

Perfectly put and could have been written straight after the game. Being defensive and having a good defence are not the same thing. Mr Neill has them confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It was our defensive ability that meant that when Norwich made stupid errors we had the luxury of being able to capitalise on them. We didn't really attack much in the first half, and only really started carving them apart when they had given up the ghost. I think the balance is just about right at the moment, although it can be frustrating when we don't have a go when your heart wants us to. There was a perfect example in the first half where Sidwell and Knocky went through, but instead of Sidwell overlapping and charging on, he stopped - and there was no-one to pass to. It's almost as though he suddenly thought 'hang on - I'm not meant to be in front of everyone else, that's not my role'. Which is extremely commendable and disciplined, and probably explains all the clean sheets. I'm more than happy to live with this frustration if we keep on like this.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course we're not defensive! We are an attacking side at home every game. Just because we are strong in defence doesn't mean we're defensive. Ludicrous thing for him to say and some ludicrous posts on this thread - today has just proved that btw (as if it needed proving). Hang on, weren't we top scorers in the league last season?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here