Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Decent beer shop in Brighton

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's that time of the year when I start getting booze in for Christmas. But where can I go to get a good selection of beers. Every year. I used to pop into Trafalgar Wines and buy all sorts of weird and wonderful tipples. However, it closed down a few years ago and where can I go. Last year. I was at my mum's just before Christmas and there's a wonderful beer shop in Newcastle ... but it's a long way to go for a few bottles. I have looked at online but can't find one that sells single bottles.

Where does the discerning punter shop for Christmas ales?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Seven Cellars (Seven Dials or shop at the station)
Bison Beer in Hove

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Middle Farm stock plenty of nice beers.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Beers of Europe best online with amazing choice and you can order individual beers.

For buying beers in Brighton & Hove your gonna get ripped since sadly Tony finished at Trafalgar wines.

Bison has a good selection in Hove and Quaff in Ditchling Road have a good choice. Unbarred Elder Place has a smaller selection.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The discerning punter travels to Lewes to visit the Harvey's shop.
For the xmas holidays period, my Dad used to get a couple of these in, plus £200 of spirits, other beers and mixers. In late 70’s money! For entertaining.

DF42E96C-C704-428F-8173-24B05A964931.png

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
For the xmas holidays period, my Dad used to get a couple of these in, plus £200 of spirits, other beers and mixers. In late 70’s money! For entertaining.

View attachment 153750
I always think that Christmas Ales are just the dregs breweries are left with that they can't sell at any other time of year. But I do enjoy a bottle of the Harvey's Christmas ale to kick things off on the day. It's like drinking Christmas pudding. Also it's about 7%.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would love to love Harvey’s beers … I just don’t though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I miss Trafalgar Wines a lot. Quaff is decent in Brighton, I'd echo the previous post about Middle Farm, it's all local and a good selection.
If you're going to Harvey's then you could also do The Patch in Lewes which is a cafe but has 8 beers on draught you can take out and 8 decent cans normally , Abyss and Cheese Please nearby has more good local beers (and you can do more Christmas shopping in there). Then if you get desperate Tesco's do 4 for£6 on some decent ones

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If one is truly discerning, they go straight past Harveys and make a beeline for Abyss and Beak
Abyss is excellent. Beak seem obsessed with 6-8 % beers that aren't particularly great and are far too expensive

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If one is truly discerning, they go straight past Harveys and make a beeline for Abyss and Beak
Abyss is great but my wallet cried every time I went there in the summer. That's a fairly standard affair for any establishment in the south east though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for this. Beers of Europe looks decent and I'll certainly give Seven Cellars and Quaff a look.

I do go to Harvey's as well. I was looking for something a bit continental as a change

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Beers of Europe is an excellent suggestion, the name is slightly misleading as they do loads of British beers as well.
Britain is in Europe - geographically if not politically (y)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here