Dear Southampton...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
I don't have problem with Southampton either, but it does annoy me when their fans come on the board and call our footy negative and do not give us the respect we deserve for being top......I know we have our own idiots that go on other teams boards and cause havoc.

Poyets style of football is very effective in this league because the majority of teams are dog sh*t. When you come up against better sides next season, it won't work as much.

Feb 14, 2010
Negative football!i do despare with english football fans!keeping the ball is not negative it means u dont have it. Ask barca and arsenal. We need more poyets in the english game so we can one day give spain a game. As for saints, i agree not rivals just some hampshire ateam.palace other london teams and pompey of interest.

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
Poyets style of football is very effective in this league because the majority of teams are dog sh*t. When you come up against better sides next season, it won't work as much.

But i have faith in Gus to change the style if he feels that it is needed. He seems to be very good at reading other sides and adapting the style of play.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove

What utter crap. It won't work as much because we will be playing better sides. Will be nothing to do with the style of football we play.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
How on Earth do we play negative football? I also point out our substitutions on that night were positive. Dunk for El-Abd due to injury...Jamie Smith and Glenn Murray on for Battipiedi and Barnes? Instantly led to a penalty and we looked the better team when this occured. Negative doesn't make sense.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I don't really have a problem with Saints. Yes some of their fans are arrogant and SCC can appear arrogant too but I'd put Palace (obviously), Pompey and most London teams ahead of Southampton in my list of least favourites.

* hides behind sofa *

Same here, I totally don't get this rivaly that some Albion fans are trying to create. It's embarrassing, as if we're little Brighton revelling in being above one of the big boys. Sad.

Adkins is a passionate guy who was quite annoyed at the negative football you played at our place, and he said something in the heat of the moment that was a bit silly.

We played to get a result, and it worked. Man City admitted to doing exactly the same at Arsenal the other week. The way we played that night was in no way representative of our regular style.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill

I certainly think the Southampton fans on here are badly mistreated by our embarrassing supporters who seem to think we have some kind of rivalry, so sorry about them. Please don't think they represent the majority of our support, they are an embarrassment.

However, I believe your quote above isn't true at all. We've torn teams apart plenty of times this year, like literally ripped them to shreads, and it's probably the best football I've seen in the ten or so years I've supported the club. That includes a season where we stayed up in the Championship. I can understand your viewpoint though as we were pretty poor when we visited your place, although could easily have taken the three points had Wood scored the penalty.

Again, ignore the lickers and please don't think we actually believe there's a rivalry there. It's the same people who use the words 'Scumhampton' and 'Portscum' - enough said!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Gus doesn't exactly have history of being a stirling chap though does he? Adkins is a passionate guy who was quite annoyed at the negative football you played at our place, and he said something in the heat of the moment that was a bit silly.
And yes, you have games in hand over us and a big points gap - but that isn't the point. A lot of your fans are laughing at us and saying that we're falling out of the race for promotion, which clearing isn't true.

Adkins was pissed that a team worth as much as Southampton could not put the ball in the net when they had the chance. Is it not normal for the away team to be more defensive, as the home team are normally set up to be more attack minded? If Adkins thinks that was negative football then he really has very little knowledge of the tactical side of football, or probably more likely that because he could not win the tactical battle he decided gus was "negative". Ultimately, who do you honestly think is the better manager? Do you honestly think with the squad of players you have that you would be 3rd now if you had gus?

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
Gus doesn't exactly have history of being a stirling chap though does he? Adkins is a passionate guy who was quite annoyed at the negative football you played at our place, and he said something in the heat of the moment that was a bit silly.
And yes, you have games in hand over us and a big points gap - but that isn't the point. A lot of your fans are laughing at us and saying that we're falling out of the race for promotion, which clearing isn't true.

You had your blip at the beginning of the season and now hitting your mid term blip and we've only hit only one blip and have come out of it on the front foot. 6 goals in one game, like bozza said, you should of spread those goals out over a course of a few games to pick points up.

5 points clear, better goal average and a game in hand :laugh:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
People can be very logical and polite and seem all round good blokes UNTIL they start accusing us of negative football. Its like the little boy who takes the ball away because they won't let him play upfront. Liverpool did exactly the same thing for years and won just about everything...played it round the back short passing and then suddenly incisively cut a swathe to your goal. I thought it was a tad boring in the old days too when Hansen and lawro kept passing to each other but god was it effective.

Look at the facts.... biggest goal difference is our with less games played +22 does not suggest we sit back and play it around does it.

Youve got all the money all the support in fact you've got everything going for you and yet you get upset because we are boring when we are top of the league and have a goal difference of +22

Thats just ostrich with head in the sand thinking..

Go on, take your ball and go home!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
You know, seriously shoudl write this in to the FLS and get leroy or steve to answer. Can a side with a plus 22 goal difference top of the league by four points with a game in hand and scored 6 in 2 against Posh and stuffed Charlton at home be accused of playign boring football?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Its all gone very quiet down the A27..................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports