Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Jonny Williams,

The Last Dodo

Banned
Mar 25, 2014
Anyway. I'm interested to know. Do you think Glenn Murray will be loaned out to a Championship side next season (I don't mean us, obviously)?

Casting aside your obvious affection for the man, he just doesn't look likely to succeed in the Premier League, and I'd have thought that he'd have wanted to be playing, once he's had a full pre season to train.

You're probably right. I feel so sorry for Murray. What did for him was that terrible injury v your lot.
If only he'd have been 5 years younger when it happened.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You're probably right. I feel so sorry for Murray. What did for him was that terrible injury v your lot.
If only he'd have been 5 years younger when it happened.

Yep. I loved him as a player for us. Was obviously disappointed when he left. Respected the bloke even more when, after taking shit all evening (understandably) from the crowd at the Amex and then scoring, he politely jogged back to the centre circle for the restart even when the rest of the Palace side were giving it the big one and trying to encourage him to do the same. Most of us appreciated that.

Nice guy, very talented, I just don't see him doing it in the Premier League. If nothing else, I'm not sure Pulis fancies him for the job.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
But Palace are still a fairly direct team. Assisted by a couple of wingers, but then Pulis has always utilised wingers (Matthew Etherington springs to mind at Stoke). Pace and getting the ball forward quickly.

Seems to be working for you, there's no need to feel self conscious about it.

If only we could play football " the right way " ( sigh)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If only we could play football " the right way " ( sigh)

Like I said, it works for you so far. Don't be self conscious :thumbsup:

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
FWIW I think that comments regarding Murray not quite being right for the prem are probably about right, on this season's limited showing. I would expect TP to give Glenn a chance pre season although opposition is never quite the same in pre season regardless of who you face. I think the only attribute that really fits with TP type player is attitude. They need to be ready to give everything. Doesn't really mean they have to be big lumps although I would agree that these are often those types of players making up for a lack of technical ability with effort. After all I think we would all agree that the real technically gifted players can - most often - be a little lazy.

With that in mind I think if Glenn doesn't give TP enough to think about it is more likely that he would go permanently rather than loan. Chamakh seems to be a favourite and seems to have had the effort to go with his technical ability so is a nice mix. It was a 1 year contract but I would assume he would want to extend as we are now safe for another year.

Requirements for us would be striker, centre half and winger. Then getting rid of some of the considerable dead wood (thanks Ollie).

Which are your areas for concern if you come up? Not so much squad strengthening but first team?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Requirements for us would be striker, centre half and winger. Then getting rid of some of the considerable dead wood (thanks Ollie).

Which are your areas for concern if you come up? Not so much squad strengthening but first team?

All of it? :lolol:

Centre halves- Upson would probably be fine, not sure about Greer. Midfield currently lacks experience with Crofts out, & I can't see us re-signing Keith Andrews (or, I somewhat hope we don't). Bruno probably a big risk at that level. We'd badly need a couple of strikers. And as for the goalkeeper- well he *should* be OK, but if he drops any more clangers like yesterday's, I might worry.

So apart from "in every area", no, not really :)

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
All of it? :lolol:

Centre halves- Upson would probably be fine, not sure about Greer. Midfield currently lacks experience with Crofts out, & I can't see us re-signing Keith Andrews (or, I somewhat hope we don't). Bruno probably a big risk at that level. We'd badly need a couple of strikers. And as for the goalkeeper- well he *should* be OK, but if he drops any more clangers like yesterday's, I might worry.

So apart from "in every area", no, not really :)

As we've proven, if you have the right manager at the helm (NOT Holloway), then most half decent promoted sides can stay in the division. Do you reckon Oscar is the man of that job, should you get promoted? I would laugh if you continued with Bruno at right back though.

Congrats on making the playoffs by the way, as soon as I saw Jamie Mackie at right back i feared the worst and I think you'll do a number on Derby, based on absolutely nothing but they're going to be 2 cracking games.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Like I said, it works for you so far. Don't be self conscious :thumbsup:

Oh im not edna , i quite like quick attacking football . A few more goals would be nice but tony knows this so i expect him to get a goalscorer in to compliment our other strikers . A rumoured wilf return being mooted but playing centrally rather excites me but we will see . Finally well done yesterday on a good win , i will watch both games with intrest ( as well you know ) :wink:

The Last Dodo

Banned
Mar 25, 2014
Yep. I loved him as a player for us. Was obviously disappointed when he left. Respected the bloke even more when, after taking shit all evening (understandably) from the crowd at the Amex and then scoring, he politely jogged back to the centre circle for the restart even when the rest of the Palace side were giving it the big one and trying to encourage him to do the same. Most of us appreciated that.

Nice guy, very talented, I just don't see him doing it in the Premier League. If nothing else, I'm not sure Pulis fancies him for the job.

I used to specifically watch him last season in his pomp and came to the conclusion that, as an opposing defender, it must've been so hard to play against him.
Not only a natural goal scorer but a great footballing brain.
Can't believe your lot let us take him so easily without an apparent fight.
Still, none of us know what went on behind the scenes with regards contract negotiations.
And as fellow Palace fans have said, good luck in the play offs....well to a certain extent anyways. The extent being we hope you get to Wemberlee but lose in the final second.
Of extra time.
On penalties.
And their goaly moved well before he should have.
And it turned out their goaly was intelligible.
But it was overturned by The F.A.
:)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Intelligible"? As opposed to "unintelligible"? :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As we've proven, if you have the right manager at the helm (NOT Holloway), then most half decent promoted sides can stay in the division. Do you reckon Oscar is the man of that job, should you get promoted?
In the unlikely event he gets us there, I think he's the man for our job. But I don't think he'll be anything like as good as getting results with average players as TP is. But I think he's more likely to take a quality side further in the future than TP could.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
In the unlikely event he gets us there, I think he's the man for our job. But I don't think he'll be anything like as good as getting results with average players as TP is. But I think he's more likely to take a quality side further in the future than TP could.

Don't sound too confident Trig? Do you mind taking that pessimism into the next 2 matches? :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, Derby should take care of you given past results and their vastly bigger points difference but how often does sense prevail in the playoffs? You've as good a chance as any.

Generally agree about Pulis, the rumblings from St James Park about him going there seem silly IMO, he's more likely to get CPFC to regular mid-table finishes than Newcastle to their somewhat desperate dreams of Europe each year.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Don't sound too confident Trig? Do you mind taking that pessimism into the next 2 matches?

It's the bi-polar nature of all football fans. Don't tell me you didn't feel like that last year, Brighton or no Brighton. I think all fans feel the same fear and expectation of being kicked in the metaphorical goolies. I'm pessimistic too but after that match yesterday and going proper mental with 2,000 others, I really don't mind now. Probably the same as you felt about the Wembley game after dicking us in the play-offs.

FWIW, I think Pulis will go sometime within the next twelve months because he demands and expects a huge budget and your chairman won't give it to him, having learnt a very expensive lesson with Holloway's piss-take last year. And yes, I'd definitely have Williams in our side if I could. I think the lad is a phenomenal talent and Holloway should have built his side around him as Poyet did with Bridcutt.

The Last Dodo

Banned
Mar 25, 2014

That's a post full of hope, ridiculous optimism and fantasy as I've ever seen on here.
In other more realistic news, I've just grown a money tree and am embarking on a trip to Mars in a hot air balloon.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why is it that every Palace fan I meet in real-life is a sound bloke but the vast majority on here are complete cockwombles?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here