Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Fantasists

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
On the subject of fantasists and arrogance, how is the brand of football that will ultimately become known as "the Southampton style" coming along? It's not just Adkins that embarrasses you Saints fans is it. Try not to take it personally, comments re Adkins and Cortese do not reflect on you, just them.

Social Sausage

Apr 17, 2011
It's hard to not take it personally; Saints are my club and any slight on them which I perceive as unjust I feel compelled to respond - especially if I've tried and failed to ignore it previously.

However; Whilst at first I was a little apprehensive about my message and actually posting it, I'm glad at least a few of you resonate with some of it. You might not agree with the context, but you at least acknowledge it. Typically, there are some who will never accept they've been a bit "mongy" with regards to how they've acted.

I can tell you now that without doubt, a large, large majority would not have thought we'd walk this league this season. We made that same mistake in the Championship and every where we've been since our relegation from the Premier League. It didn't take long to realise that as a club, you have to earn the right to get where you are. Average attendances and previous successes means nothing and if some of you engaged a little more with us you'd realise that in fact, we're not the arrogant, cocksure lot that some on here would have believe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Adkins just made some arrogant comments, many SCC fans have continued to think they'd win the league up until a few weeks ago - you say that Brighton fans should just get over it and you're probably right.
But this is just a forum, where a lot of people talk a lot of shit, half in jest - so maybe the SCC fans should get over the fact that people are just ranting on here because they feel like it, it's no big deal.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
However much time did you spend mulling over what to write and then actually going ahead and doing so?

I hope you feel better having got that off your chest?

If anyone bothers to read the whole diatribe, any chance of an "Executive Summary" (3 bullet points TOPS)?

Cheers.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
It's hard to not take it personally; Saints are my club and any slight on them which I perceive as unjust I feel compelled to respond - especially if I've tried and failed to ignore it previously.

However; Whilst at first I was a little apprehensive about my message and actually posting it, I'm glad at least a few of you resonate with some of it. You might not agree with the context, but you at least acknowledge it. Typically, there are some who will never accept they've been a bit "mongy" with regards to how they've acted.

I can tell you now that without doubt, a large, large majority would not have thought we'd walk this league this season. We made that same mistake in the Championship and every where we've been since our relegation from the Premier League. It didn't take long to realise that as a club, you have to earn the right to get where you are. Average attendances and previous successes means nothing and if some of you engaged a little more with us you'd realise that in fact, we're not the arrogant, cocksure lot that some on here would have believe.

Just to be clear, mate, very few Brighton fans hate Southampton. The reason so much has been written about them on here is that they were expected to walk the league and are a big club in this division. They have been the side most thought we would have to finish higher than to win the league, following our great start, and that has proved to be the case.

The vast majority, myself included, simply do not care about Southampton and they have just been another promotion rival this year. I've seen so many Saints fans saying it's ridiculous how we consider you our rivals, while you don't care about us. You seem to be confused between a promotion rivalry and a deep-running club rivalry.

Our rivals are Palace, and they are the only team we care about from a rivalry point of view. Historically it may have been Pompey, but that seems to have fizzled out somewhat.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

You're of course completely right in that only a minority of your fans behaved arrogantly at the start (and throughout) the season, and it is usually this minority which makes themselves heard the most. Which, of course, applies in exactly the same way to what you accuse our fanbase of doing.

I'll be completely honest, I would find more satisfaction in beating Southampton than most teams in this league, and I expect most Brighton fans would - but surely thats understandable? Firstly, you have been our main contenders for promotion most of the year. You are relatively close and a south coast club, so a small bit of rivalry appears. You have Harding, Wilkins and Hammond who have strong Brighton connections, and as much as the majority have nothing against you as a club, the way Hammond celebrated against us without any provocation whatsoever means that a large amount of us would love to see him fail, and the same with regards to Adkins and his comments. But apart from those two, most of us have nothing substantial against your club.

I can assure you that if, as looks likely, you follow us up to the Championship then we will both have far more important and heated rivalries to see to and this miniature one will be more or less forgotten.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

You are clearly unaware that several of your fellow SCC supporters appear on here from time to time telling that we are a tinpot team and the like. SCC are admittedly only one of several teams who predicted our bad patch which as you now know never arrived. Granted some of the most fatuous remarks were made by yet another 'giant' Sheffield Wednesday. Now we have comprehensively won the league and have a manager who lets actions speak loader than words there's not real reason why we shouldn't rub your noses in the fact. You cannot tell me that SCC fans would not do exactly the same had they actually lived up to their expectations.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How are we going to enjoy our derby with Crawley, by the way? They're in a division below us, just like Pompey are a league above Sai...........................oh.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
the way Hammond celebrated against us without any provocation whatsoever means that a large amount of us would love to see him fail, and the same with regards to Adkins and his comments. But apart from those two, most of us have nothing substantial against your club.

I can assure you that if, as looks likely, you follow us up to the Championship then we will both have far more important and heated rivalries to see to and this miniature one will be more or less forgotten.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Err, Sausage, old chap, we've just borrowed you as a sort of half-arsed rival for a bit until the real bad guys turn up again. There's really no need to get quite so worked up - isn't that, after all, essentially what you were saying to us? About getting worked up about a few things said? You do rather seem to have fallen into exactly the same hole.

If we can't indulge in a bit of gloating when we've just won a championship, when can we? I thought the currency of football was all this stuff? Or in the post-Sky era are we all now supposed to take the culture of fandom so seriously that this type of thing is offside?

Social Sausage

Apr 17, 2011
You are clearly unaware that several of your fellow SCC supporters appear on here from time to time telling that we are a tinpot team and the like. SCC are admittedly only one of several teams who predicted our bad patch which as you now know never arrived. Granted some of the most fatuous remarks were made by yet another 'giant' Sheffield Wednesday. Now we have comprehensively won the league and have a manager who lets actions speak loader than words there's not real reason why we shouldn't rub your noses in the fact. You cannot tell me that SCC fans would not do exactly the same had they actually lived up to their expectations.

In all honesty, apart from 1 or 2, I doubt you'd have many people rattling around with sole purpose of "rubbing your nose in it" and I'd also doubt we'd even bother with seeking congratulations from anyone else if the roles had been reversed... but that's just my personal opinion. The majority would just enjoy it and if anything, perhaps remind Portsmouth that we owe them one or two pastings next year.

I was unaware about Hammond's celebration, sadly. Would it not be unfair to suggest that he might have been baited and, like many players, has responded in kind? It'd be against my better judgement to do that but some people do do it and in some respects, I can understand why.

FWIW, we had a Sheffield Wednesday fan visit our board this year who stayed for around 3 months until Wednesday slipped out of the top half. He did enjoy telling us that there was probably not one player he'd swap in the Wednesday team for one of ours and that they'd walk the league. That's arrogant... can't say I know many Saints fans personally who've said the same!

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
Can't say I hate saints, but some of your fans deserve to have your noses rubbed in it. That's a small minority though, most of the saints fans I know passed on their congratulations about winning the league and said we were by far the best team in the league. I think that Brighton fans have a bad perception of the saints fans because of the few twats that have posted on here over the last few months, and they did seem arrogant. I don't particularly care if saints go up or down, and this obsession has gone a bit to far in my opinion.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
there's been attention aimed at southampton because

1) everyone at the start of the season had them as dead certs for the title, whereas we would be play-offs maximum

2) their manager is a bellend

3) dean hammond is also a bellend

4) quite a few of their fans have taken the time to register on here, moaning about how 'obsessed' we are with them

i don't actually give a shit about them....i used to quite like them in the le tissier days, apart from that they were just another team that we were better than this year

next year, even if they go up, all of my attention will be on palace, and at a push, pompey

Top post:thumbsup:

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
How can you say we've made up arrogant Saints fans, when you don't know us personally and so do not have access to our lives and the people we interact with. I know of at least four Southampton supporters who were extremely arrogant about their walking the league. They exist.

I seem to recall at St. Mary's your fans were the most unpleasant bunch of supporters I have ever seen, and was likened by another as being back in the '70s'. Don't try and say we would struggle to find one or two people who would rub our noses in it, as we all know most of you bloody would. Personally, I'm loving that we have won the league with FOUR games remaining, and that you have failed to win the league which was a given at the start of the season.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
In all honesty, apart from 1 or 2, I doubt you'd have many people rattling around with sole purpose of "rubbing your nose in it" and I'd also doubt we'd even bother with seeking congratulations from anyone else if the roles had been reversed... but that's just my personal opinion. The majority would just enjoy it and if anything, perhaps remind Portsmouth that we owe them one or two pastings next year.

I was unaware about Hammond's celebration, sadly. Would it not be unfair to suggest that he might have been baited and, like many players, has responded in kind? It'd be against my better judgement to do that but some people do do it and in some respects, I can understand why.

FWIW, we had a Sheffield Wednesday fan visit our board this year who stayed for around 3 months until Wednesday slipped out of the top half. He did enjoy telling us that there was probably not one player he'd swap in the Wednesday team for one of ours and that they'd walk the league. That's arrogant... can't say I know many Saints fans personally who've said the same!

As you are new here I will excuse the fact that you have no idea of what you're talking about. Frankly we haven't rubbed anybody's nose in the fact that we have walked this league. We have been rather offended by some of the rather stupid remarks of your physio, sorry manager hence the amount of abuse he gets. What is even more ironic about Hammond is that he left us for better things, at Colchester. After a handful of games they went down with him with them however in the same was Harding left us for Leeds they showed very little class and frankly the joke is now on both of them. It's not that likely that Hammond would get into our team now and Harding would definitely be a reserve.

On a final note, you say Portsmouth will get a couple of spankings from you next season. Bit arrogant to assume that you are up isn't it ? Worth remembering that Lallana keeps getting hurt and as yesterday showed you are not that good without him. Oxo is already gone and now you look like having a serious problem with Barnard as well. It's nowhere near the formality you seem to think it is, after all a lot of people considered you were up in August.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On a final note, you say Portsmouth will get a couple of spankings from you next season. Bit arrogant to assume that you are up isn't it ?
To be fair, that's not what he said. He said if the roles were reversed, and they had won the league, then they'd remind Pompy etc etc

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
It's a testament to the team this season that we are able to get under the skins of the SCC fans.
Just shows how much they are irritated that a "small" club like us can possibly be better than the "big" club that is SCC.

Just brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here