Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi Thoughts?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Liked the way RDZ came out among the players during their warm up. Hopefully a regular occurrence. Tho maybe he just wanted to catch a glimpse of the giant(ish) flag :lol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So I imagined all those balls kicked straight into touch?

That doesn't make him a bad long passer, more that he is making difficult choices. Obviously it is easier to keep the ball on the pitch if you just hoof it to the opponents central defenders but thats not what Sanchez do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I watched from near the Spurs fans in the lower west and it seemed there were so many chances to shoot but we didn’t and looked for that little Killer ball….

Whilst there were occasions when we could have taken a pass less in the final third, some of the time this was because Spurs got someone in the way. The Spurs defence did a good job and deserve some credit.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I think GP was a fantastic manager for us and I was really disappointed to lose him to Chelsea - had he stayed(with the rest of the coaching team) I genuinely feel European qualification was waiting for us. However it took the best part of three years for all his ideas and coaching to really start to bear fruit. Therefore it is impossible at this stage to say much about RDZ and his impact on us. I am happy though that we have another manager who appears forward-thinking and wants the team to entertain. That’s a pretty good starting point I reckon.
I think the language issues with the coaching team will inevitably make it a slow process initially. I hope over the next few months Crofty feels he had a clear role and is very much part of the team. His adjustment is a much tougher one than Bruno had because he was bilingual and could easily work with the other coaches.
I was at Anfield but my next games in the flesh are the three successive PL games before the WC break. I think the Chelsea one will be especially tough because GP and co. know our players inside out but at least RDZ will by then have had a few games and coaching sessions to move things on. I’m sure he’ll be using some of the WC break to try and further develop what he wants but in reality next season will be the fair opportunity to gauge our further progress imo.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
but my intent for this isn't for 'we're doomed' or 'we're heading to europe' type extremes,

What about "we're doomed to Europe"?

But certainly too soon to say. We've played two game against two top teams. Ask again next week.

I do wonder if the amount of wayward passing yesterday was due to the team slowly transitioning to Zerbiball and some players being a bit further ahead with the new playbook while others were still going from the Potter playbook. Surely that will get ironed out with a bit more training.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But certainly too soon to say. We've played two game against two top teams. Ask again next week.

That was kinda the point. Coming back to it each week or couple of weeks, seeing the evolution both of one's own feelings on it, but also the evolution of De Zerbiball from it's earliest attempts to wherever we are at a given point.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Far to early to judge, but I desperately hope he is successful. On the evidence so far I would say it’s going to be exciting.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Why are we trying to pass the ball in the net? Talk about over do things around the box. 1-0 down isn’t really the time for Trossard to try audacious lobs to Lallana.

I thought this during the game, but on reflection tottenham just didn't give us any other option. They were defending deep and blocking everything.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Spurs was a tough match, we looked lost for the first 15mins or so. RDZ has taken full responsibility but it’s not really his fault. I genuinely believe we would have beaten both Liverpool and Spurs with Potter still at the helm. The reason we lost to Spurs is Potter’s fault for walking out on the project.

I could see mistakes and unsureness due to the interference of change our players were experiencing yesterday. Some players looked off it, most looked confused at various points. It was hard. However, that is not the fault of RDZ. You could see that elements of his ‘visions of football’ were there in our game. It’ll take a while before the team is fully in his image.

Some of the quick one touch passing was breathtaking but RDZ will need to be a multi-tricked pony like Potter to succeed. That will take time. Time I’m willing to give him.

However, you can see prominent members of the Potter Out Campaign now mobilising against RBZ after this first loss. They expect to beat top 3 teams. If a manager losses, they blame him and no one else. They’ll be coming for him soon. The De Zerbi Out Campaign will be launched prior to Christmas with the usual dullards at the helm. Mark my words.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There is a very fine line between playing out from the backk and fannying around at the back. Potter knew exactly where it was, as was demonstrated by our performances in the plast six months - but it took him two and a half years to find it!
Just based on the one home match, it looks as if Roberto needs to find it too - I hope it doesn't take him two and a half years (and I'm also hoping that I'm wrong, and yesterday was just a bad day at the office that didn't follow the script)!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is a very fine line between playing out from the backk and fannying around at the back. Potter knew exactly where it was, as was demonstrated by our performances in the plast six months - but it took him two and a half years to find it!
Just based on the one home match, it looks as if Roberto needs to find it too - I hope it doesn't take him two and a half years (and I'm also hoping that I'm wrong, and yesterday was just a bad day at the office that didn't follow the script)!

Most of the time when we lost possession it was on the long pass after playing out from the back neatly.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Most of the time when we lost possession it was on the long pass after playing out from the back neatly.
.......or perhaps it was most of the time when we lost possession it was on the long pass after playing out from the back neatly but for too long so it became too tight and the ball had to be cleared, probably hurriedly.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Exactly. But the longer we short passed it at the back the more isolated Welbeck became upfront. He didn’t know if it was coming to feet, over the top or down the lines, or if the short passes would continue.

Early days

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I thought this during the game, but on reflection tottenham just didn't give us any other option. They were defending deep and blocking everything.
A few good shooting opportunities opened up we just didn’t take them for some reason. RDZ didn’t really have to change anything just keep doing what we were doing, For me we’ve isolated Gross who was in the form of his life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here