Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi interview on Bobo TV: "no team can change my mind"

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Interesting stuff. Honour and loyalty are high on Roberto’s agenda. The moment he convinced players to extend contracts, and ‘promised’ Dahoud he’d be around for a while, he committed his future to us, in his mind. Two more years certainly. Hopefully more.
This is a trait seen in Roberto from his time in the Ukraine when he wouldn’t leave before the last player left.
This has been assisted massively by the club hierarchy backing him with the ‘two locker room issues’ and the likely spend in this transfer window.

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
I haven't found it. I was wondering if it wasn't the case to open (or reopen) a thread about Mahmoud Dahoud...

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
I rely on Sepulveda's translating skills, if he ever feels, to render RDZ's words into English.

In this video DZ talks above all about the human side of a player rather than the purely technical and tactical one.

But at the same time he admires the champion, that player who is difficult to manage but who makes you win games. etc.

All things we already know, perhaps, but in a friendly environment he speaks as always with sincerity and heart and ... a good level of emotional intelligence.

DE ZERBI TALKS ABOUT HIS BRIGHTON!

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I rely on Sepulveda's translating skills, if he ever feels, to render RDZ's words into English.

In this video DZ talks above all about the human side of a player rather than the purely technical and tactical one.

But at the same time he admires the champion, that player who is difficult to manage but who makes you win games. etc.

All things we already know, perhaps, but in a friendly environment he speaks as always with sincerity and heart and ... a good level of emotional intelligence.

This is a good one, I'll translate as soon as I'm able to!

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
When i didt think i could love the bloke anymore
Going to be pedantic, but do you mean you couldn't love the bloke anymore or you couldn't love him any more?
There's quite a big difference.

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy

-Full Translation, part 1 of 2 [things between square brackets are my own additions]-

Bobo Vieri: But I want to listen to what the coach has to say about Brighton, because Brighton have done what nobody has done before! [slight exaggeration :lolol:]

RDZ: Well, about Brighton I can tell you that [this year] I've had loads of fun. I think everything comes around. Like my friend Lele [Adani] here says, my brother Lele [wry smile], "with Father Time everything comes around". And I had chosen to go to Kie- to Shakhtar, a fabulous team. That's what I meant, when one really says, "a fabulous team", I mean it was becoming a squad that was really- Then I don't know whether we'd have won or not; we'd already won the Supercup 3-0 against Lucescu's Dynamo Kiev playing really well and we were top of the league. But we were also growing; we had signed Neres. Just think about it, our four wingers were Neres on the right, Mudryk on the left, and on the bench as alternatives Tetê and Solomon. Tetê who went to Lyon and then to Leicester, and Solomon who played for Fulham this year and also scored various goals. A really strong team was being born, a really strong team, and with a strong mentality as well, because Brazilians now are not the kind to come over here in slippers [=very relaxed, laid-back] anymore, eh, they all have their own personal trainers... A very strong team, and from one day to the next I lost it. War, chaos, run away etc. And I really suffered because of that. Besides war, which one can never really find an explanation for, speaking purely about football; they had teared my creature away from me, which I was raising day after day, molding it. And so when I came back to Italy I didn't want to coach, during the whole summer I refused every job they offered me. But you know, as soon as the leagues start back, you get the desire to restart, I watched more and more matches; and in the end I found a place that has repaid me of everything. It has repaid me in terms of value of the players as people, first of all, because the first period was very difficult for me. Different language, different habits, "day off"... "Day off", do you know what that is? Monday and Tuesday training, Wednesday is a day off, and then Thursday and Friday training. 4 trainings a week! Even when I was coaching at Darfo in Serie D we did 5 trainings [laughs], and I found myself in the Premier League having to do only 4. The football is also different. They, the players, wanted short training sessions (1 hour, 1 hour and 5 minutes) with very little tactics and a lot of playing and games. So I tried to mold my idea after their habits as well, without ever losing any part of my identity along the way of course. But since the player is my only interlocutor, yes my only interlocutor is the player, we slowly found the way together with them and I discovered some fantastic people; despite the language barrier, my relationship with them is one of the best I've had with any team. We've chased after the dream; because halfway through February in the locker room I was talking about the Champions League. And when I started to understand that the players were also talking about Champions League, Europa League, I told myself "Either we're now exaggerating and going too far with this, or we can achieve something big." And I've had fun, I've really had lots of fun.

[Part 1 of 2]

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
-Full Translation, part 1 of 2 [things between square brackets are my own additions]-

Bobo Vieri: But I want to listen to what the coach has to say about Brighton, because Brighton have done what nobody has done before! [slight exaggeration :lolol:]

RDZ: Well, about Brighton I can tell you that [this year] I've had loads of fun. I think everything comes around. Like my friend Lele [Adani] here says, my brother Lele [wry smile], "with Father Time everything comes around". And I had chosen to go to Kie- to Shakhtar, a fabulous team. That's what I meant, when one really says, "a fabulous team", I mean it was becoming a squad that was really- Then I don't know whether we'd have won or not; we'd already won the Supercup 3-0 against Lucescu's Dynamo Kiev playing really well and we were top of the league. But we were also growing; we had signed Neres. Just think about it, our four wingers were Neres on the right, Mudryk on the left, and on the bench as alternatives Tetê and Solomon. Tetê who went to Lyon and then to Leicester, and Solomon who played for Fulham this year and also scored various goals. A really strong team was being born, a really strong team, and with a strong mentality as well, because Brazilians now are not the kind to come over here in slippers [=very relaxed, laid-back] anymore, eh, they all have their own personal trainers... A very strong team, and from one day to the next I lost it. War, chaos, run away etc. And I really suffered because of that. Besides war, which one can never really find an explanation for, speaking purely about football; they had teared my creature away from me, which I was raising day after day, molding it. And so when I came back to Italy I didn't want to coach, during the whole summer I refused every job they offered me. But you know, as soon as the leagues start back, you get the desire to restart, I watched more and more matches; and in the end I found a place that has repaid me of everything. It has repaid me in terms of value of the players as people, first of all, because the first period was very difficult for me. Different language, different habits, "day off"... "Day off", do you know what that is? Monday and Tuesday training, Wednesday is a day off, and then Thursday and Friday training. 4 trainings a week! Even when I was coaching at Darfo in Serie D we did 5 trainings [laughs], and I found myself in the Premier League having to do only 4. The football is also different. They, the players, wanted short training sessions (1 hour, 1 hour and 5 minutes) with very little tactics and a lot of playing and games. So I tried to mold my idea after their habits as well, without ever losing any part of my identity along the way of course. But since the player is my only interlocutor, yes my only interlocutor is the player, we slowly found the way together with them and I discovered some fantastic people; despite the language barrier, my relationship with them is one of the best I've had with any team. We've chased after the dream; because halfway through February in the locker room I was talking about the Champions League. And when I started to understand that the players were also talking about Champions League, Europa League, I told myself "Either we're now exaggerating and going too far with this, or we can achieve something big." And I've had fun, I've really had lots of fun.

[Part 1 of 2]

Last edited:

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy

[Part 1 of 2]
-Full Translation, part 2 of 2 [things between square brackets are my own additions]-

Bobo Vieri:
Alright, but when you were seeing Brighton playing so well and causing everyone trouble, what were you thinking in those moments?

RDZ: I don't know if you've seen that video where I thank the team, and what I said there is the truth; by the way, like all the best things, it was a totally spontaneous speech - I said, "When everything is going so great on the job, when you're living a dream, the problem is that at some point that dream has to end, no? Sooner or later it ends, that's my only fear." But I'm telling you, I came back to Italy on June the 1st and today is the 12th; and staying at home has already busted my balls [huffs and smiles]. I can't wait to get back to training and-

Cassano: [laughing] I knew that, and do you know why I knew that, indirectly? Because a person who spends a lot of time with him, who works with him-

RDZ: Oh, that guy, that guy should be proclaimed saint: part of his career spent with you and then another part with me... [laughs]

Cassano: Agostino Tibaudi, who now works with Roby, has been with me for many years as my fitness trainer. And he said, "I've seen many many coaches who think about football; either they're not normal or RDZ is not normal." And I asked, "Why, Ago?" and he replied "He literally thinks about it 24/7. He [pointing at RDZ] sometimes doesn't sleep, he has trouble sleeping. He's the first to arrive, then football, football, football. You go to dinner with him: football. You go to the theater: football. Everything in his brain is about football." And he [Tibaudi] gets worried about him, and so he [points at RDZ] then jokes and says, "Ago, who is crazier, who is worse? Me or Cassano?" [laughs] Just imagine if we'd been in the same team, him as a coach and me as a player; either something spectacular would have come out of that, or-

Lele Adani: Well those are precisely his kind of challenges [pointing at RDZ], he likes those kinds of challenges. As a matter of fact, tell us about this aspect of your character, which is not common. But we've talked about this lots of times with him; the more a player is discussed outside, but has crystal clear talent - the kind that you have to cultivate with humanity, the more he [RDZ] "gets aroused" [laughs]

 RDZ: Yeah yeah that's true. But you know, all the Italian journalists who always describe me as a football addict, a "philosopher"... they don't understand anything. Because yeah, I'm addicted to tactics, but the tactical aspect in my work never goes beyond the 25-30% of the total. Everything else is man-management of the players, with my style and without following any canonical instructions, but still man-management. And I think that, because I was a difficult player to manage during my playing career, precisely because of that I can understand those players that are a bit more difficult. The most difficult, complicated players are often the most sensitive, the most sensitive are often the most intelligent, because they question things, have many doubts etc. And if you manage to be loyal and coherent with them, they repay you ten times more than a "normal" player. And besides, all the footballing talents often have a little darker side in them, so... And in the end the ones who usually can give you that little extra more, the ones that win you matches are the talents. Who is it that makes me have fun watching him? A talent - whether he is a central defender, a midfielder or a forward it doesn't matter. And I like to work on that type of players, I like to waste time on them, I like to help them improve, I like to argue with them if I have to - because it's not like I want to please everyone at any cost. But yeah, those "unmanageable" players, I usually like to keep them. Because they're usually the best ones and the purest ones.

Lele Adani: Yeah because it's not exactly a "challenge", the word "challenge" conveys an ulterior motive at the end of it, a prize or achievement to be obtained. No, it's rather something that comes from the soul, from the heart; finding that connection and achieving something together, sharing it. He's been saying this since forever. Tell me something though, does this thing stem from when you were a player?

RDZ: Yeah it's 100% something that comes from my playing days, and 100% from how I am as a person. I mean, if I get a player like Antonio [Cassano] I know what he's thinking, but I already knew it 20 years ago. Facundo Buonanotte, born in 2004 and playing his first matches in the Premier League, only needs one thing: to play without worries and have the possibility to make mistakes, knowing that the coach is an ally of his. Then you make a mistake and you'll make another but slowly you'll learn; don't dig your heels on insisting on taking risks just for the sake of it though, because that's when I get angry. But you have to be that same kid from Rosario [Facundo's hometown], not a guy who stops to think about every risk and has too many worries. And [this perspective of mine] is the way it is because probably when I was a player I would have needed to hear this. And in my career - everyone always says I could have achieved more - it's not true, I achieved in football what I probably deserved, I probably wasn't as good mentally, I wasn't as good physically, I wasn't as good, I wasn't of such a high level that I could have been able to do really great things. But if I get in my hands a real talent, whether he is young or still unexpressed/untapped, it's my responsibility to bring it out in him. Aside from the collective result this can generate, aside from the money he can generate for the club through his sale, that's not what what this is about. Because I must not ruin talent, I must not ruin Mudryk, I must not ruin Enciso, I must not ruin Buonanotte, I must not ruin Colwill. It's my responsibility - too.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here