Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Stockdale

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
TK is a footballer not an expert in contracts and negotiations. I believe any 'contractual quotes' such as 'I have had interest from Premier League clubs' were lines given to him by his agent. In this case, his agent has badly judged Albion's hand and has most likely cost his client a very good contract. The agent brain typically picks a deal that gives it the most commission, the fact that the TK family were settled down here and the PIG really wanted to sign would not have been upmost in it's evil money driven plans.
I'd forgotten the scummy agents in this matter.

If TK being without a club is down to his agent then maybe it is time for him to dump the person who has lost him a contract?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
TK is a footballer not an expert in contracts and negotiations. I believe any 'contractual quotes' such as 'I have had interest from Premier League clubs' were lines given to him by his agent. In this case, his agent has badly judged Albion's hand and has most likely cost his client a very good contract. The agent brain typically picks a deal that gives it the most commission, the fact that the TK family were settled down here and the PIG really wanted to sign would not have been upmost in it's evil money driven plans.
TK is not a footballer. He is a goalkeeper who has somehow managed to have played for one of the biggest clubs in the world, in the champions league, yet he can't pass the football to his team mates.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
TK did fade in the last few months.
When we sign a new player I always look at the other clubs forums. On Fulhams their fans rate Stockdale highly which is a really good sign. I think we are going to have to offer a lot more than 1 million.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
TK did fade in the last few months.
When we sign a new player I always look at the other clubs forums. On Fulhams their fans rate Stockdale highly which is a really good sign. I think we are going to have to offer a lot more than 1 million.

>1m for a sub championship goalie with less than a year left on his contract? No way.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
TK was 75% of the keeper he was the season before. He seemed to lack concentration. Time to move on.

Agree with this. Also think Ulloa can be put in the same category.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that a major reason we let Koosh go was wages. I suspect (no sauce), that a few of Gus's signings were on big money. We managed to increase our playing budget by 40% each year Gus was here and I think the reason that we managed to get players like Koosh, Bridge, Vicente, Upson, CMS and Orlandi may have more to do with this than the wonderful stadium, crowds and beach ???

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
TK was 75% of the keeper he was the season before. He seemed to lack concentration. Time to move on.

A little perhaps, but he was still making fantastic saves to keep us in games, whereas other than the Forest goal his mistakes were minimal.

I think his desire was still there, which was particularly after the Sheff Wed game when he had the falling out with Bruno.

Happy with Stockdale if it happens, but wouldn't be opposed to a Kuszczak return, if salary wise he was in line with the others (assuming that was one of the reasons he was off-loaded).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was told that he was the highest earner at the club which is understandable that they let him go but cant understand why they didnt offer a new contract at reduced wages which he could have accepted or refused, obviously more to it. I would still have him back over what we have at the moment and even possibly spending £2m on Stockdale.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If we think Walton's good enough to get a four year contract they must think he'll be first choice sooner or later, so it would seem odd to spend a lot of money on another keeper if you only wanted him as a stop-gap for a year or two?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we think Walton's good enough to get a four year contract they must think he'll be first choice sooner or later, so it would seem odd to spend a lot of money on another keeper if you only wanted him as a stop-gap for a year or two?

Then again, Casper has only got a one year contract.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton

It's called 'protecting your assets' lots of clubs were sniffing around Walton, hence the club secured him on a long term contract.

Walton will be number one in a couple of years, no question about that.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It's called 'protecting your assets' lots of clubs were sniffing around Walton, hence the club secured him on a long term contract.

Walton will be number one in a couple of years, no question about that.

I get that - so why would we spend £1m+ on another keeper, shirley we'd go for a cheaper option until Walton is deemed ready ???

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
>1m for a sub championship goalie with less than a year left on his contract? No way.

He was first choice for Fulham in the Premier League at the end of last season, ahead of a keeper who played for Holland in the World Cup Final in 2010. If we get Stockdale for £1 million, it would be an absolute bargain. He's looked great for Hull, when he's played against us on loan.

I still can't believe this will happen but it would be an amazing deal if we got him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I get that - so why would we spend £1m+ on another keeper, shirley we'd go for a cheaper option until Walton is deemed ready ???

Because Stockdale is a very impressive keeper and, if we're going for promotion over the next 2/3 years, he would be key. Hence, we won't just buy a stop gap.

Also, at 28, he'd still only be 30 in 2 years time so would have a decent sell on value at that time.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Because Stockdale is a very impressive keeper and, if we're going for promotion over the next 2/3 years, he would be key. Hence, we won't just buy a stop gap.

Also, at 28, he'd still only be 30 in 2 years time so would have a decent sell on value at that time.

Having to flog someone as 2 into 1 don't go is not a strong selling position though.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Having to flog someone as 2 into 1 don't go is not a strong selling position though.

Obviously, they wouldn't sell him on that basis. Also, we don't know how quickly Walton will develop. He's clearly a very talented player but, now we've tied him down to a long term deal, I don't think we should write off signing any quality keepers so we can wait until he's ready. He will probably be number 2 this year and might be given a chance in cup games but it won't be good for him to be thrown in too early.

I think this thread might be irrelevant anyway. Despite what's being said, I find it hard to believe Fulham will sell Stockdale to us, especially for £1 million.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For a team with aspirations of promotion or at least play offs he isnt good and consistent enough to be No 1 for the year left on his contract. Walton although a good prospect is not ready yet so we need a No 1 keeper, quite simple really.

You missed the point of my post. It was referring to Walton getting a 4 year contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here