Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Stockdale

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You know that how exactly?

If he'd wanted to he would have made it clear that's what he wanted and would have started negotiations with the club long before his contract ran out.

He did not look happy for the last few months and his form reflected his mood.

He went to the Argus last Autumn saying that he wanted to stay. Then a few months later he mentioned wanting to play for a Prem club. It seems to me that he was trying to force the club's hand, they called his bluff.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Oh and re Stockdale: I'd love him to come but I can't help feeling a million quid won't get him anywhere near here, so it depends how much the Albion value his services, if they are indeed interested.

Is he in the last year of his contract? Maybe he has a release clause activated if he is - 1mill maybe?

I'm speculating here by the way, just an idea!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
We have missed a trick not signing Joe Murphy. He has moved to Huddersfield from Coventry but personally would have loved to have seen us take a gamble on him

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think Tim knows TK to speak to, so I'm assuming it's come from some sort of personal conversation. That said, what TK tells people and what he privately thinks aren't necessarily the same thing.

And Bwian: the Albion have said on many occasions, they don't tend to do contract negotiations mid season (unless it's an early-Bridcutt sort of scenario where a gem has been discovered and needs to be tied down, pronto). So I doubt TK would have started negotiating ages ago, simply because it's not how the club seem to work.
Ok, thanks for the insight.

I still believe that if TK had wanted to stay he'd have made it known so negotiations could have started at the appropriate time but I guess we will never know.

Stumpy Tim

You know that how exactly?

If he'd wanted to he would have made it clear that's what he wanted and would have started negotiations with the club long before his contract ran out.

He did not look happy for the last few months and his form reflected his mood.
His wife told me. A fair few people on NSC were told the same separately too

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Probably the same way the story about Sammy Lee not joining us broke in the Sun. Might be a shit newspaper, but as far as football goes, they seem to get a lot right.

As much as I'd like them to be right I'm not going to hold my breath waiting, I've been keeping a list of players we've been linked with through the media and Stockdale takes my list to 25 and we hav'nt signed one of them but the players we have signed have all sneaked in under the radar until the very last minute.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Bumped into Fulham fans in a crawley pub called grasshopper just after their game hit was said the rumour was all around the ground and a couple of their fans claimed to have asked stockdale directly his answers were "its not upto me (whether I go or not)" and they said he didnt look as if he was staying (im guessing the fans gut feeling)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bumped into Fulham fans in a crawley pub called grasshopper just after their game hit was said the rumour was all around the ground and a couple of their fans claimed to have asked stockdale directly his answers were "its not upto me (whether I go or not)" and they said he didnt look as if he was staying (im guessing the fans gut feeling)

There was def a quote similar from Fulham fans on twitter re asking him directly...

Not a clue if he's good but a quick search on twitter suggests Fulham fans would be gutted if he left so fingers crossed!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He was on the bench yesterday in Fulham's friendly against Crawley.

[tweet]490487666434408448[/tweet]

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
His wife told me. A fair few people on NSC were told the same separately too

Ok.

If he (they) were happy and wanted to stay why did TK act like he wanted away?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Stumpy Tim

Ok.

Apart from one story that probably originated from his agent (who was probably putting pressure on the club to get a contract sorted), how did he act like he wanted away? His form wasn't the best, but that doesn't mean he was trying to get a move

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Apart from one story that probably originated from his agent (who was probably putting pressure on the club to get a contract sorted), how did he act like he wanted away? His form wasn't the best, but that doesn't mean he was trying to get a move

Totally agree. I got the feeling out was more a decision by the club rather than a decision of PIG's. There was no question that something went wrong with him right at the end as his form dropped alarmingly. And seeing as you know the people involved, I'd trust you over all the people who like to assume the worst about players who are no longer at the club.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ok.

TK is a footballer not an expert in contracts and negotiations. I believe any 'contractual quotes' such as 'I have had interest from Premier League clubs' were lines given to him by his agent. In this case, his agent has badly judged Albion's hand and has most likely cost his client a very good contract. The agent brain typically picks a deal that gives it the most commission, the fact that the TK family were settled down here and the PIG really wanted to sign would not have been upmost in it's evil money driven plans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here