Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Stockdale/Football Focus

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
You watch them say "look how far the club has come from Withdean", without mentioning how far the club had fallen from the late 70's / early 80's. I doubt they will mention the Charity Shield / Champions of England of 1910. I really dont understand why they get people who know so little about the history of football clubs. I know and many do, the history of most clubs in the country, it seems ignorant to do a piece on a club without getting it right.

I really, really, want to believe that you are on a massive one trick wind up. But I have a sneaking suspicion that you are serious with your posts about the illustrious history of the club/size of past/current crowds. I appreciate that you've not mentioned attendances on this particular thread but I assume that's an oversight that can be blamed on a hangover?

Why the hell would they mention a trophy won over 100 years ago.

Maybe to appease you they could show a table showing how our attendances compared to the rest of the league over 2012/13 and 2013/4 as that would be really interesting...

Feb 14, 2010
Why the hell would they mention a trophy won over 100 years ago.

Because it is the only major trophy this club has won and is therefore one of the most significant parts of our history and therefore needs to be mentioned when talking about the clubs past. You can also bet your life that a piece about Sheffield Weds would include mention of their trophies won before 1910. As for crowds, well I wont apologise for being right where others, including most media were wrong. The media never has understood this club.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dunno about anybody else, but I for one genuinely cannot remember the last time I had tears rolling down my cheeks two sunny Saturday afternoons running.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Don't know why, but that made me well up a bit. A short but lovely little piece from FF there I thought

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now that was very moving. Well done BBC.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Because it is the only major trophy this club has won and is therefore one of the most significant parts of our history and therefore needs to be mentioned when talking about the clubs past. You can also bet your life that a piece about Sheffield Weds would include mention of their trophies won before 1910. As for crowds, well I wont apologise for being right where others, including most media were wrong. The media never has understood this club.

Its a 3 minute TV feature about Shoreham/Stockdale and the club for a mainstream audience who aren't Brighton fans and it was very well put together by a team who definitely do understand this club and its history . Reciting the Albion's Wikipedia entry doesn't make for great television or of course fit into the time allotted.

A piece about Sheffield Wednesday would probably not go along these lines would it ?

"Before discussing this piece about Hillsborough and its impact on Sheffield Wednesday 25 years on, probably worth mentioning that SWFC won the FA CUP in 1896 and 1907. And before we go any further i need to remind you they also won the FIrst Division in 1902/03 and 1903/4. Good. Now we can begin"

You're winding us up :) Surely ?

Feb 14, 2010
Its a 3 minute TV feature about Shoreham/Stockdale and the club for a mainstream audience who aren't Brighton fans and it was very well put together by a team who definitely do understand this club and its history . Reciting the Albion's Wikipedia entry doesn't make for great television or of course fit into the time allotted.

The Shoreham air crash was very sad but not living in Sussex, it is not in the upper most thoughts of my mind. It is big local news and very sad for the individuals involved. I however thought it was going to be about being top of the league / the club.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Very nicely done and if anything it benefited from the BBC not being able to cut any football action clips into the segment.

David Stockdale has done himself and the club huge credit through all of this. Top bloke on and off the pitch.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very nicely done and if anything it benefited from the BBC not being able to cut any football action clips into the segment.

David Stockdale has done himself and the club huge credit through all of this. Top bloke on and off the pitch.

This. CH yet again also came across brilliantly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Shoreham air crash was very sad but not living in Sussex, it is not in the upper most thoughts of my mind. It is big local news and very sad for the individuals involved. I however thought it was going to be about being top of the league / the club.

Actually It was massive national news and dominated national news for days across national newspapers, sky, bbc tv etc. Its still having impact in Sussex but also nationally (the PM visited Shoreham yesterday) . The piece made several references to the club being top of the league and having had a good start this season. but apart from that...
Clearly its annoyed you because it didn't mention the Charity Shield win of 1910 and didn't make enough references to us being top of the league . In which case fair enough.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You do come out with some crap some times.

Feb 14, 2010
Actually It was massive national news and dominated national news for days across national newspapers, sky, bbc tv etc. Its still having impact in Sussex but also nationally (the PM visited Shoreham yesterday) . The piece made several references to the club being top of the league and having had a good start this season. but apart from that...
Clearly its annoyed you because it didn't mention the Charity Shield win of 1910 and didn't make enough references to us being top of the league . In which case fair enough.

It didnt annoy me at all. It was a different than I thought it was going to be, that is all. Reason being that yes the air crash was big national news, and yes the PM visited as he would any disaster in the UK but its bigger news in Sussex than it is in London. For me also, well I don't like the "national outpouring of grief" that makes good copy for news outlets and I always turn over when I see pictures of flowers at the site of a disaster. I prefer it how it used to be, let the families be in peace and maybe a minutes silence. The Diana death was probably the most over blown nonsense that even imposed on her kids just so that the Daily Mail and other sellers of news could get a good story. As for this bit of journalism, well I concede that it will be popular among many people as the news outlets drive agenda and people then will "feel" what the press say they have to feel. I don't remember one minutes silence at an Albion game before Hillsborough. Maybe one other. But now its every 15 games or so. That is modern life, no criticism, just an observation.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
It didnt annoy me at all. It was a different than I thought it was going to be, that is all. Reason being that yes the air crash was big national news, and yes the PM visited as he would any disaster in the UK but its bigger news in Sussex than it is in London. For me also, well I don't like the "national outpouring of grief" that makes good copy for news outlets and I always turn over when I see pictures of flowers at the site of a disaster. I prefer it how it used to be, let the families be in peace and maybe a minutes silence. The Diana death was probably the most over blown nonsense that even imposed on her kids just so that the Daily Mail and other sellers of news could get a good story. As for this bit of journalism, well I concede that it will be popular among many people as the news outlets drive agenda and people then will "feel" what the press say they have to feel. I don't remember one minutes silence at an Albion game before Hillsborough. Maybe one other. But now its every 15 games or so. That is modern life, no criticism, just an observation.

On the Sunday the Shoreham Air crash was the lead story here in Sydney and the rest of Australia on every TV and Radio news bulletin the entire day and updates on the story continued for the rest of the week.

Mainly a Sussex news story..., I'd think again.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

The only thing I would say is I think this was the largest loss of life in one incident in post war Sussex. Combine the fact that Matthew Grimstone and Jacob Shiltz had meaningful connections to the club. Also whilst the urban sprawl of South Coast Sussex is densely populated the degrees of separation from 11 people is not great - for example I had varying levels of connections to 3 of the victims.
Whilst I get the unease created by mass out pouring of "grief" (such as Diana) the community reaction to the Shoreham air crash has been dignified, respectful and constructive. The REMF walk exemplifies this beautifully.
If anything the community , and the club to some extent has led this reaction and therefore usurped the potential malicious tendencies of the media. I have never felt so proud of my community and club / I just wished it would have been in different circumstances .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here