Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Rodriguez, here we go again

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
David Rodriguez has scored 18 in 36 appearances for Alcorcon in the Spanish second tier following his move from us last year.

Looks like another sound decision from our 'football' department.
Never mind our football hiring and firing department. Just find me one example of NSC complaining about letting him go at the time.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The operative words being "Spanish Second Tier " !!
Equivalent to about Ryman Premier/South, poor record at that level even.
He was shite, no where near Championship level.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Well, Leo Ulloa was playing with Almeria in the Spanish 2nd Division when we signed him. :goal:

We got very lucky with him as we did with Zamora from Bristol Rovers

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Borja Baston certainly looks a capable goalscorer in those clips. He is on loan at Real Zaragoza from Athletico Madrid.

He'll presumably make it with Atletico next season then. I don't think Zaragoza have been promoted, or are likely to be. Trouble is the Championship is a good bit more physical than either La Liga or the Liga Adelante. As others have said, we were fortunate with Ulloa in that he has skill as well as a strong build.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My point is that he was on loan and Athletico may want him nearer to home than in England with us unless they are prepared to sell him at a sensible price.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

It really isn't. The top sides are every bit as good as most Championship clubs, the football is just different. The physicality necesary for strikers in the Championship is what he was missing. You either need to be big and strong, or really quick. Rodriguez is neither of those, and neither is Colunga, unfortunately.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My point is that he was on loan and Athletico may want him nearer to home than in England with us unless they are prepared to sell him at a sensible price.

Sure, I had no idea that he was on loan; the site I found the Liga Adelante statistics on didn't mention whether leading scorers were permanent signings or on loan. I just wondered whether he was the sort of player that Oscar supposedly had listed for Bloom and had rejected. Weren't there rumours of Gerard Delofeu coming to us? He of course went to Everton. Besides, I would never expect us to be competing for fringe top La Liga side players (although I think Bruno, Calde and David Lopez were seen as quite striking signings by Gus at the time).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He was shite, no where near Championship level.

Are you serious?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He looked another striker that would play well in a pair but as per usual we played him wide as we only ever play one upfront. Most successful teams at this level play with two strikers so I cannot understand why we never try it.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
.....and Peter Ward from Burton Albion, and Mark Gall from Maidstone, and Garry Nelson from Plymouth, and Kurt Nogan from Luton, and John Keeley from Chelmsford

Sorry, but aside from Peter Ward, I would hardly put Gall, Nelson, Nogan and Keeley in the same 'discovery from a small club and class' bracket as Ulloa, BZ and Lawro.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Besides, I would never expect us to be competing for fringe top La Liga side players (although I think Bruno, Calde and David Lopez were seen as quite striking signings by Gus at the time).

*Cough* Vicente *Cough* Agree though. I think signings of that ilk are past us for now. I expect more hard as nails British signings under Hughton.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
**** me he was dire. For a min there I had to do a doubnle take and thought you meant the one and only Spanish Dave

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here