Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Moyes sacked

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I suspect that without European football next season (especially Champions League) they will struggle to recruit the players they need to rebuild to where they should be in terms of quality in their squad which they just didn't have this season.

Keeping Moyes will mean that they don't really have a big name manager to attract big name players to the club and to be able to overcome this lack of European football handicap that they will face when recruiting. Get in a big enough manager (by reputation) and it be motivation enough to get the clubs targeted players to sign for Manchester United rather than another (lesser) club but who will have European football to offer potential signings.

I would like to see them stick by Moyes as they did with Fergusson but doubt they will, even before the rumours of his impending sacking surfaced

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
that job was always going to be a poisoned challis
maybe the grouch will take the reins for a few games, the ****ing bloke has been like a spectre looking over Moyes shoulder

I have changed my mind
I no longer give a ****

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Genuinely sorry if this turns out to be true. Moyes has made Manchester United into everything I have always wanted them to be.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Genuinely sorry if this turns out to be true. Moyes has made Manchester United into everything I have always wanted them to be.

I think you are expressing the thoughts of millions of football fans. Even if it is short lived I'm enjoying listening to their arrogant 'fans' having a shit time this season.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are too many journalists close to this story saying this is nailed on already for it not to happen.

They need a big name, someone who can spend £150 million and not piss it up the wall. Klopp or Van Gaal is my guess.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I suspect that without European football next season (especially Champions League) they will struggle to recruit the players they need to rebuild to where they should be in terms of quality in their squad which they just didn't have this season.

Keeping Moyes will mean that they don't really have a big name manager to attract big name players to the club and to be able to overcome this lack of European football handicap that they will face when recruiting. Get in a big enough manager (by reputation) and it be motivation enough to get the clubs targeted players to sign for Manchester United rather than another (lesser) club but who will have European football to offer potential signings.

I would like to see them stick by Moyes as they did with Fergusson but doubt they will, even before the rumours of his impending sacking surfaced

'Rebuild to where they should be'? No club has a divine right to win even one match. The failure of Man U to win anyhing this season is the sort of season most clubs have every year. Their fall from grace has made this the most enjoyable Prem League season ever. Hope it continues next season too.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I have some inside knowledge on this. The board have basically been persuaded that it is time for him to go. Nothing to do with big name manager and some of the other stuff touted on here. They've finally realised that he wasn't the right man to manage a club used to success. Something they could and should have realised before appointing him frankly. It will be interesting to see who is neext in the frame.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Klopp or Van Gaal is my guess.

Thing is with Klopp, he seems pretty similar to Moyes at Everton: highly intelligent, highly regarded, affable and obviously good at getting a club that lacks the resources to compete right at top to overachieve. So if he got the gig, he could easily flop just as badly. Or thrive. Ach, who knows.

Unlike Moyes, he's also a bit of a hotheaded nutter sometimes and gives very good value in interviews, as he does here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/03/borussia-dortmund-jurgen-klopp-arsenal

Would all that sit with the Man U approach?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Thing is with Klopp, he seems pretty similar to Moyes at Everton: highly intelligent, highly regarded, affable and obviously good at getting a club that lacks the resources to compete right at top to overachieve. So if he got the gig, he could easily flop just as badly. Or thrive. Ach, who knows.

Unlike Moyes, he's also a bit of a hotheaded nutter sometimes and gives very good value in interviews, as he does here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/03/borussia-dortmund-jurgen-klopp-arsenal

Would all that sit with the Man U approach?

Klopp favours a different style - high tempo which would be popular at OT -and is proactive while Moyes is reactive

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I've also been told than Van Gaal was going to take the Spurs job but is now going to take the Man U job. Same source.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I predicted this would happen last August, 10 years of mid table obscurity at Everton is no training for one of the biggest jobs in football

I wonder who will be stupid enough to take them further down the road towards oblivian next season

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
'Rebuild to where they should be'? No club has a divine right to win even one match. The failure of Man U to win anyhing this season is the sort of season most clubs have every year. Their fall from grace has made this the most enjoyable Prem League season ever. Hope it continues next season too.

Don't get me wrong, i want them to fall from grace but i mean't that as one of the richest clubs, with countless seasons of Champions League football and the financial benefits that has brought them in terms of profile and spending power they are expected to be in the top four every (boring) season.

This season has been great in terms of interest to the neutral (me included) because it is more open and its less predictable - even if it is the same few teams battling it out (but without Man U) Just wish the other top sides start to falter and make the whole thing wide open rather than the rich teams getting richer and creating a closed shop at the very top of the division.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But Fergie personally recommended Moyes. What a mess. No European football next season either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here