Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Lopez - real hatred from an Albion fan

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
The only positive thing about Greer being sent of is Lopez got substituted 20 mins earlier than normal. I can take a player giving 100% but having a bad game but can not accept a professional footballer pulling out of (or bottling) a 70/30 tackle. If he was playing well he may get some slack but we will never challenge with characters like this in the side. Taxi for Mr Lopez!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Barnes? How long you been watching the Albion ?

Since 1976.

This was more extreme. I recall players even in recent years who were simply and consistently not good enough like Graeme Smith, Hoyte, Obika - but genuinely cannot remember a fan hurling swearing, contorted face, abuse at any of them for an entire game. I didn't see hatred against Barnes - just the typical split of 25% slagging him off if he made a mistake and almost pleased he made it to justify their conclusions about him, and the other 75% loyal towards him.

spanishdave

Jul 30, 2013
Hove
:facepalm: i dont rate David that high at the momen, but he dosent need that abuse, especially from a Brighton supporter! Idiots like that might as well go and sit in the away stand

Oct 2, 2008
Going back to the original incident in H block WSU, it happened around where I sit. From what I was told the offender had called Lopez "a Spanish ****" and was accused of being racist....which is an entirely different discussion. And yes, Dave was pony today.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
In a game when he has time to play he can be quite effective, but in a game like yesterday when the opposition were making sure we had no time on the ball, he'll always be a liability. I haven't seen so many tackle avoidance manouvres since Paul Watson retired.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
To the average fan he is an average player. OG must see something significant in him to keep playing him in front of others. He's not a ball winner but he does have a certain vision in matches that occasionally lead to him playing some sublime passes and goal opportunities. One thing for sure, I am not a big fan of Andrews playing in a more advanced position.

This

brightoon

Jun 13, 2011
I'm convinced that players coming into the twilight of their careers have one last great season. We were lucky to get Wayne Bridges last season (not done anything this year) and I think we actually saw David Lopez do the same. He really isn't anywhere near the player he was last season.

To be fair, it could have been almost anyone sitting around me in WSU H yesterday, even my mate who is constantly wearing BHA tinted glasses and has never said a bad word about anything or anyone Albion wise was hurling a few expletives at Lopez.

And, if I'm not mistaken, even Bruno seemed to be trying desperately not to pass it to him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having just watched the highlights, would this be the same David Lopez who's 3 sublime touches created yesterday's goal?

Buckley was the only other player who looked capable of creating something.

Once again he wasn't great, yesterday, but verses the rest of our toothless midfield he's a veritable goal machine.
Which says more about them than Lopez.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Having just watched the highlights, would this be the same David Lopez who's 3 sublime touches created yesterday's goal?

Once again he wasn't great, yesterday, but verses the rest of our toothless midfield he's a veritable goal machine.

The fact that Dave occasionally shows some of the class that he consistently showed last season makes his general level of performance harder to bear. He has had two or three excellent games this season, and good moments in other games. But, all in all, I would say he's been a major disappointment this season.

As someone else suggested, give him back the centre of midfield!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The fact that Dave occasionally shows some of the class that he consistently showed last season makes his general level of performance harder to bear. He has had two or three excellent games this season, and good moments in other games. But, all in all, I would say he's been a major disappointment this season.

As someone else suggested, give him back the centre of midfield!
Exactly what I said to the fella next to me, in an exasperated fashion when a cross went out for a throw-in.

"he's so much better than that".

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

No doubt you'll disagree, but I don't think there was anything special about Lopez's cross, if the keeper hadn't come tearing off of his line like a mad man the defender (Pearce?) would have gently headed the ball back into his unused gloves. Pearce had it under control but McCarthy got his lines horribly wrong.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He might be horrendously enfeebled, David, but he works tirelessly and when his moments come in a game, although them fewer and farer between this season, they're game-changers and can bring about victories. His challenged yesterday was Bambi-ish, and frustrating to witness from the stands, but he wasn't our weak link and played some alright stuff here and there. We're without venom at the minute and its not the impotence of his sting that's the cause of that. I just pray we can keep Buckley fit. Such a player. David would have more to play to with him on the field rather than having to constantly look backwards to players who will likely do the same again. Tuesday night i see us with some real dart in our ranks to unsettle them early.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Given his total unwillingness to go into any physical challenge, I wonder whether it's the result of an injury earlier in his career which has left Lopez with a reluctance to take risks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here