Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darlington FC RIP

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
It would be nice to see the North Easts bigger clubs use Darlington to blood their younger players using the experience they gain to develop them. Just a thought.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
FOOTBALL LEAGUE DIV 3 Sa 13Mar 1999
RESULT
Brighton 0 -4 Darlington
HT 0 - 1 FT 0 - 4
Marco Gabbiadini (24, 48, 86)Peter Smith (og 72)

Remember this, went to see spurs play villa at home instead.

Always hope for Darlington, but might take 13 years!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They will, but there will be no club to conduct the rehabilitation, so any player with a serious injury would end up being treated in hospitals, private clinics and so on, with no day to day contact with other footballers and little prospect of finding a new team. Any of our players getting crocked will be working closely with the club to get fit again, for however many months it takes. There can't be much motivation if you're on your own.

I think the PFA step in and help with the rehab etc.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Bloody hell, that is very sad to see.

It is. I saw the most stoned person I have EVER seen in my life at Feethams. And he was a steward.

That aside, have they built on the old ground yet? If Charlton can rebuild the Valley, which was about as overgrown at one point, there's hope. But, to state the bloody obvious, they'll need a ton of money.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Don't know how up to date Google Maps is and don't know if this link will work...

feethams - Google Maps

Edit: It doesn't, seemingly. Check out Victoria Embankment, Darlington. Drag the little orange man near the messy field below the cricket pitch and a little blue dot should appear in the middle. Hit that and you will get an idea of the recent state of the area.

Edit x2: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/39336216.jpg

39336216.jpg

Last edited:

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
I feel confident they'll pop up again. Shame to see it happen, I'd feel worse if they didn't piss their money away on a stadium they didn't need, but it's still sad to say any club get wound up.

As a side note, they were responsibly for the dullest football match I've ever seen. Went to visit my sister who lives up Leicester way, had to spend the day with her husband so we decided to take in a football game at any old club. Notts County 0 - 0 Darlington. One shot all game. Our steward had a dead magpie.

What?

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Terrible.

I knew they had built that ground but I am embarrassed to say I was totally unaware it had a 25000 capacity. Seriously who would be brainless enough to do build that ?.
Makes you wonder what the future holds for a lot of clubs tbh.

Personally I think that ground sharing would likely be the way to go for a lot of clubs. Not just the small one's either.

I know lots of people don't agree, or like the idea but it does make sense at least financially. Look at the likes of Notts county and Forest. You are literally a stones throw away from each other. That is ridiculous. Not to mention the closest two in Britain being the Dundee clubs. They cannot exactly be flush.

The scousers want a new ground and Evertons is falling apart, and they are Stanley park away from each other. Logic says sell both grounds and build a 70,000 spanking stadium on the park.

Appreciate this would not work for some isolated clubs like ourselves but there are a number of clubs it could work for.

I know someone will no doubt find an "Alternative" angle, but it seems to have worked in Rome and Milan without any problems and theya re not even the small teams. So why not ?.

Although exactly how any of this can help Darlington now, I have no idea unless the Geordies fancy changing grounds and calling it St James Park..... they might be quite happy with that.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Very sad - here's hoping they rise again, it'll be a long hard battle but others have done it - FORZA DARLO!!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Terrible.

I knew they had built that ground but I am embarrassed to say I was totally unaware it had a 25000 capacity. Seriously who would be brainless enough to do build that ?.
Makes you wonder what the future holds for a lot of clubs tbh.

Personally I think that ground sharing would likely be the way to go for a lot of clubs. Not just the small one's either.

I know lots of people don't agree, or like the idea but it does make sense at least financially. Look at the likes of Notts county and Forest. You are literally a stones throw away from each other. That is ridiculous. Not to mention the closest two in Britain being the Dundee clubs. They cannot exactly be flush.

The scousers want a new ground and Evertons is falling apart, and they are Stanley park away from each other. Logic says sell both grounds and build a 70,000 spanking stadium on the park.

Appreciate this would not work for some isolated clubs like ourselves but there are a number of clubs it could work for.

I know someone will no doubt find an "Alternative" angle, but it seems to have worked in Rome and Milan without any problems and theya re not even the small teams. So why not ?.

Although exactly how any of this can help Darlington now, I have no idea unless the Geordies fancy changing grounds and calling it St James Park..... they might be quite happy with that.

Many of the clubs who groundshare have complaints from their supporters that they don't feel ownership our sense that they are in 'their' ground. Imagine if we were contemplating a groundshare with Palace. That's what you are suggesting for Liverpool and Dundee. I can't see that happening.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
How did the club ever get planning permission to build their stadium (it even holds more than the Amex), considering how long it took for the Amex to get the go ahead.

It's even made the news down here.
Its like a death in the family

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How did the club ever get planning permission to build their stadium (it even holds more than the Amex), considering how long it took for the Amex to get the go ahead.

Because the Amex was built on the South Downs, on the edge of a National Park. The Darlington Arena, was built in* Darlington.

*on the edge of

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Because the Amex was built on the South Downs, on the edge of a National Park. The Darlington Arena, was built in* Darlington.

*on the edge of

Thanks point taken. I suppose a derelict stadium would still look better than what was there previously.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
FOOTBALL LEAGUE DIV 3 Sa 13Mar 1999
RESULT
Brighton 0 -4 Darlington
HT 0 - 1 FT 0 - 4
Marco Gabbiadini (24, 48, 86)Peter Smith (og 72)

Remember this, went to see spurs play villa at home instead.

Always hope for Darlington, but might take 13 years!
I was there. Gabbiadini was excellent for Darlo that day and even got a round of applause from the 'home' fans after his 3rd which he politely acknowledged. We, on the other hand, were lucky to get nil as they say

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was there. Gabbiadini was excellent for Darlo that day and even got a round of applause from the 'home' fans after his 3rd which he politely acknowledged. We, on the other hand, were lucky to get nil as they say

Was that the one where one of their outfield players went in goal - and we didn't give him a save to make ?

As you say, Gabbiadini was excellent. Although he did not need to be.

A sad day for football, and I hope Darlington start again in the lower leagues and make a comeback, ala Aldershot and Wimbledon.

I dont want to sound an arse, but this is the third time in eight years that they have gone in adminastration, so maybe its time to let them go.

Personally I get fed up with business writing of their debts, and starting up doing exactly the same thing but with a slightly different name.

Hope the Darlington fans set up a new club, and have happier times.
Don't you see a massive contradiction between your third sentence and the first & last?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here