[Albion] Dante Vanzeir (22) - Union SG

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Something a bit smelly about this for me.... and slightly unethical. How does the Union SG manager feel about his top striker being sold to Tony Blooms 'other' team ?

I'd be more concerned why a top striker would give up, you know, actually playing the game, just to sign for Tony Bloom's other team.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
well it depends what we'd pay. if we're offering fair market value then it won't be any different to any other club signing him. only 'advantage' I think Tony owning both clubs would give us is perhaps first dibs on him should they decide to sell.

that being said, with all the prize money from Europe and whatnot, I'd be very surprised to see them sell in Jan.
At the very least, with the Bloom/Benham dynamic in play, we can safely say the only way Brentford get him is if we don't want him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Something a bit smelly about this for me.... and slightly unethical. How does the Union SG manager feel about his top striker being sold to Tony Blooms 'other' team ?

He probably feels it wouldnt be the best thing for them but highly normal that a young striker producing those numbers for a newcomer will be attractive for bigger clubs in bigger leagues :shrug:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He's probably on our shortlist anyway to replace Potter one day so it's all part of the interview.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's probably on our shortlist anyway to replace Potter one day so it's all part of the interview.

Nah we'll be shopping in South Wales again.
Keep the continuity going despite the fact that it just might not work.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
At the very least, with the Bloom/Benham dynamic in play, we can safely say the only way Brentford get him is if we don't want him.

I'd forgotten about the Bloom/Benham dynamic. It raises the question, why would Brentford and Benham even be in the frame for Vanzeir, when they know Tony Bloom owns USG, and therefore - in theory - they don't stand a chance of landing him? Why would he sell a successful striker to a PL rival anyway?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
GP doesn't seem to want to play strikers anymore so why would we be interested in him. Surely another defender is a priority?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd forgotten about the Bloom/Benham dynamic. It raises the question, why would Brentford and Benham even be in the frame for Vanzeir, when they know Tony Bloom owns USG, and therefore - in theory - they don't stand a chance of landing him? Why would he sell a successful striker to a PL rival anyway?

Maupay didn't appear out of thin air.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Maupay didn't appear out of thin air.

Fair point.

But are you saying that business comes first, and transcends any 'differences of opinion' between TB and Benham? The purchase of Maupay suggests it might, although when Maupay arrived, we were in the PL and Brentford were in the Championship, so were not direct rivals. Maybe the price we offered was too good to turn down.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd be more concerned why a top striker would give up, you know, actually playing the game, just to sign for Tony Bloom's other team.

The humongous pay rise from going from one of the Belgian league’s smaller clubs to the Premier League may be a factor!

The story is bollocks though and based on nothing more than unsubstantiated speculation from another website where they’ve plucked 2 other clubs out of the air. If it was Naylor or Brian Owen reporting there might be something in it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Someone once suggested - maybe me - that we should find out what strikers Brentford are looking at and beat them to it. Maybe this is our chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports