Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Welbeck - SIGNS new contract to June 2024

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Not concerned that he hasn't scored. It's everything else, contributing to the team scoring and creating chances. There's also no player in the team who can hold the ball up and bring others in to play the way DW does

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I thought at first that Danny was missing easy chances yesterday but then I watched MOTD and saw Diego Garcia and Firmino miss even better chances. Maybe it’s not as straightforward as we like to think it is.
The main thing is the team are scoring. I can remember Emile Heskey being hounded out of the England team for not scoring enough. Before him it was Peter Beardsley getting stick until he was dropped. Gary Lineker and Michael Owen were left helpless by the know it alls.
Some things never change.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Mind boggling just how well we play with a fit Welbeck on the pitch,I honestly couldn't give a toss if he doesn't score again if he continues to play the way he is right now, he's just phenomenal,that instinctive back heel for the second goal was just ridiculous, there's not a single team in the EPL that wouldn't want a Danny Welbeck right now,enjoy every moment you can of him in a Brighton and Hove Albion shirt.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
DW movement off the ball is world class. As others have said i couldnt care less if he isnt scoring. He is part of a team that is. One if not the best striker the club has ever had.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I thought at first that Danny was missing easy chances yesterday but then I watched MOTD and saw Diego Garcia and Firmino miss even better chances. Maybe it’s not as straightforward as we like to think it is.
The main thing is the team are scoring. I can remember Emile Heskey being hounded out of the England team for not scoring enough. Before him it was Peter Beardsley getting stick until he was dropped. Gary Lineker and Michael Owen were left helpless by the know it alls.

good comparison to Heskey, another immense player who was always profession and unselfish key team player. thing with Welbeck is there confidence in the attack, players are more bold in passes and moving up field.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I did say, IF he could add a few more goals to his game! Ivan Toney seems to be Southgate's new blue eyed boy now and he does have goalscoring in his locker.

Without wishing to derail the thread (I agree with all the DW love, above), Southgate has effectively ignored Toney, putting him into the competition squad but not even on the bench for the first game, then elevating him to unused sub in the second. If that makes him a blue eyed boy then Maguire is presumably Southgate's live-in lover and main beneficiary of his last will and testament.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Not too worried, the goals will come. His general play is great.

Players that all only have 1 Prem goal so far - Nunez, Aubameyang, Havertz, Solanke, Watkins, Antonio, De Bruyne, Edouard, Ings, Saka.

And others like Richarlison, Ayew, and Ronaldo are on zero.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
good comparison to Heskey, another immense player who was always profession and unselfish key team player. thing with Welbeck is there confidence in the attack, players are more bold in passes and moving up field.

Very true, but the problem is that if you are decribed as a centre forward, and/if you have number 9 on your back, many people are assuming that you are going to be scoring a lot of goals.

Delve a little further though, and you will realise that there is far more to Danny's game than just goal scoring.

As a team though, certainly under Graham Potter, a lot of emphasis was put on the goals coming from different places on the pitch, and not solely on one or two players heads.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Without wishing to derail the thread (I agree with all the DW love, above), Southgate has effectively ignored Toney, putting him into the competition squad but not even on the bench for the first game, then elevating him to unused sub in the second. If that makes him a blue eyed boy then Maguire is presumably Southgate's live-in lover and main beneficiary of his last will and testament.

Well Maguire is his live in lover isn't he? I thought that was an established fact, no?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

Agreed ... Heskey was a great player and a very humble person.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Diego García can't be expected to take chances due to the fact it's weighed down by a large military base and the guilt of having deported the inhabitants to make way for said base.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think the fact we have scored 22 goals in our last 10 league games (Welbeck 2) and 14 in 7 (Welbeck 0) with him playing the no 9 role suggests to me we are doing something right. Currently looking at over 70 goals for the season when we had be struggling to get to 40+ in previous seasons.
I think a fit DW is causing defences so much hassle that the space for others such as Tross, Mac etc is leading to goals across the park.

And don't forget some of Mac's penalties have come from fouls on DW.

I hope he gets some goals soon, and am sure he will

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think the fact we have scored 22 goals in our last 10 league games (Welbeck 2) and 14 in 7 (Welbeck 0) with him playing the no 9 role suggests to me we are doing something right. Currently looking at over 70 goals for the season when we had be struggling to get to 40+ in previous seasons.
I think a fit DW is causing defences so much hassle that the space for others such as Tross, Mac etc is leading to goals across the park.

And don't forget some of Mac's penalties have come from fouls on DW.

I hope he gets some goals soon, and am sure he will

It is interesting that there was a lot of criticism of Maupay because he did not score enough but Wellbeck is tolerated.

Similarly Maupay's work rate was probably better and he probably was more of a 'Potter player ' than Wellbeck but what makes the difference IMO is that Wellbeck's role in the team is very clear and so is his contribution , his fast running forward means we are attacking more quickly and defences have less time to organise. He changed the dynamics of the team and whilst he is our 'centre forward' his role is to take the pressure of the others coming forward. Maupay could not do that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It is interesting that there was a lot of criticism of Maupay because he did not score enough but Wellbeck is tolerated.

Similarly Maupay's work rate was probably better and he probably was more of a 'Potter player ' than Wellbeck but what makes the difference IMO is that Wellbeck's role in the team is very clear and so is his contribution , his fast running forward means we are attacking more quickly and defences have less time to organise. He changed the dynamics of the team and whilst he is our 'centre forward' his role is to take the pressure of the others coming forward. Maupay could not do that.
I've said before that Maupay was targeted because few others were stepping up. This season we've seen goals from midfielders draw and win games, so Welbeck not hitting the back of the net is less of an issue.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've said before that Maupay was targeted because few others were stepping up. This season we've seen goals from midfielders draw and win games, so Welbeck not hitting the back of the net is less of an issue.

But are those midfielders scoring because if the work Welbeck does?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
But are those midfielders scoring because if the work Welbeck does?

Well that's what the results seem to indicate ....

We get up the pitch quicker and that means there is more space for all the players and less defenders in front and that is because Wellbeck leads that charge forward AND players are confident we will hold onto the ball better. We won't be able to do that against teams that play 10 at the back though....

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Something has changed since Spring when Welbeck replaced Maupay as our main striker as we are scoring a lot more goals. And I know it coincides with Moises coming in and Mac playing a different role.

I liked and defended Maupay, but he left because Potter clearly felt DW was able to stretch the play or offer more to the defence than NM, and therefore was the preferred starter for us

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Something has changed since Spring when Welbeck replaced Maupay as our main striker as we are scoring a lot more goals. And I know it coincides with Moises coming in and Mac playing a different role.

I liked and defended Maupay, but he left because Potter clearly felt DW was able to stretch the play or offer more to the defence than NM, and therefore was the preferred starter for us

Yes.

Maupay would drop back and link-up play. Huge work ethic but he wasn’t really occupying the defenders. DW is a handful because of his superb all round game. Pace, speed, aerial power, touch and strength, he is a nightmare to mark. So much so that our other attacking players can sneak in and find bags of room and time that they never had with Maupay up top.

That’s why his next injury is really going to hurt the team. It’s a shame Ferguson and Sima aren’t quite ready to fill in but hopefully they will be soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here