Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Welbeck - SIGNS new contract to June 2024

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, the goalscoring form of Gross, Trossard and Macca is really taking the pressure of Danny.

We've scored 9 goals in our last 2 games so as long as they continue to notch and hopefully some of the others, like Solly start to contribute, then it really doesn't matter much if Danny isn't scoring.

To be fair, he doesn't seem to be doing much wrong to me. Movement looks good, he's arriving in the box ok. Goals should start to come for him

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Regarding Welbeck and Maupay, I will also add that Maupay missed a lot of chances that a striker in his prime years should be scoring (and then go score a worldie the next game).

I agree with what others are saying about Welbeck creating chances for others, it's especially clear when you watch him live too. His runs are great, you see him sacrificing himself for the team by dragging defenders away by having them track him, which then creates the space for others.

Both Welbeck and Maupay had great work ethic, Welbeck's was just more effective and smarter. A lot of the time Maupay's was out of frustration or desperation, he would run back way out of position to try get the ball and get involved.

Last edited:

boik

Yes.

Maupay would drop back and link-up play. Huge work ethic but he wasn’t really occupying the defenders. DW is a handful because of his superb all round game. Pace, speed, aerial power, touch and strength, he is a nightmare to mark. So much so that our other attacking players can sneak in and find bags of room and time that they never had with Maupay up top.

That’s why his next injury is really going to hurt the team. It’s a shame Ferguson and Sima aren’t quite ready to fill in but hopefully they will be soon.

Sima? have you written off Deniz already?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He needs a goal to get him going, but realistically the team is performing as well as it is BECAUSE of the performances of every player in it. This is a proper team and Welbeck keeping the shape at the top end of the team is crucial to enabling space behind and around him. He makes very clever runs and opens up space, but he does need to be burying headers like the one on Saturday.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We've scored 9 goals in our last 2 games so as long as they continue to notch and hopefully some of the others, like Solly start to contribute, then it really doesn't matter much if Danny isn't scoring.

Only if you count Webster's own goal!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sima? have you written off Deniz already?

He is clearly a good player.

But I suspect that he’ll be filling in for the Trossard No.10 position we saw against Liverpool rather than being the big man upfront if Welbeck gets injured.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Both Welbeck and Maupay had great work ethic, Welbeck's was just more effective and smarter. A lot of the time Maupay's was out of frustration or desperation, he would run back way out of position to try get the ball and get involved.

Very true, as you say Maupay always put in a shift, but so much of the work that he did off the ball often came to little or no avail, and didn't really help the team collectively.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He is clearly a good player.

But I suspect that he’ll be filling in for the Trossard No.10 position we saw against Liverpool rather than being the big man upfront if Welbeck gets injured.

Possibly, but l fancy Undav would have competition for that role, there are probably two or three players that could be effective there.

Personally l'd like to see Mitoma being given a chance, he has always been effective when coming off the bench, and really tires leggy defenders when he runs at them, either out wide or down the inside left channel.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
For me one of the best things about Danny is that he isn’t constantly seeking to win free-kicks when the ball is played up to him, which in any event we tend to waste. Instead, he looks to turn defenders quickly and to bring others into play.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
8 more games until he has played more games for the Albion than Arsenal.

12 more and he'll have played more games for the Albion than Man U.

3 more goals and he'll have scored more with us than any other club.

Will that mean he'll be remembered as an Albion player first and foremost now if he plays a few more seasons with us?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
8 more games until he has played more games for the Albion than Arsenal.

12 more and he'll have played more games for the Albion than Man U.

3 more goals and he'll have scored more with us than any other club.

Will that mean he'll be remembered as an Albion player first and foremost now if he plays a few more seasons with us?
Nah. Always injured. I read it on NSC.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
If you'd told me that 9 years ago my little shitehouse thread would be bounced into reality with the reverse being rumoured 8 years later... 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here