Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Holla Signs

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Morning. I don't usually get involved with your threads but this may be of interest for you.

My brother lives in Laak, Den Haag after marrying a Dutch girl. He follows Den Haag home and away and is gobsmacked that you secured his services as he's apparently a quality midfielder. He's comfortable on the ball, finds space to receive a pass in a congested midfield, gets his head up to pick a pass and has a powerful shot. He's an aggressive tackler, likes to get stuck in but has an occassional hot headed moment.

The only thing that he's missing is a bit of pace but he makes up for that by having a great awareness. Being a Palace fan my bro said he'd happily have him playing just in front of Jedinak as his ability to pick a pass would encourage better counter attacking.

I'll leave you good people now, hope you kick on this season.

raba.

Thanks Danny

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yes, there have been some massively talented players who have came from the Dutch league, however the point I was making is we can't use the league he comes from to justify his ability as there have been a tonne of duds from that league too. Alex Buttner came to Manchester United as a promising young defender, played 13 league games for them and was then sold for less than they signed him for. Ricky van Wolfswinkel had scored goals for fun in the Eredivisie and couldn't adapt to the English game. Jozy Altidore, Afonso Alves, Marco Boogers, Bryan Ruiz, Karim El Ahmadi, Leandro Bacuna, Ryan Babel

You've missed the point. Every single one of the players you've labelled as "duds" would be quality at our level.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Morning. I don't usually get involved with your threads but this may be of interest for you.

My brother lives in Laak, Den Haag after marrying a Dutch girl. He follows Den Haag home and away and is gobsmacked that you secured his services as he's apparently a quality midfielder. He's comfortable on the ball, finds space to receive a pass in a congested midfield, gets his head up to pick a pass and has a powerful shot. He's an aggressive tackler, likes to get stuck in but has an occassional hot headed moment.

The only thing that he's missing is a bit of pace but he makes up for that by having a great awareness. Being a Palace fan my bro said he'd happily have him playing just in front of Jedinak as his ability to pick a pass would encourage better counter attacking.

raba.

Used to live in Laak myself, Antheunisstraat, but what is troubling me, is your brother.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Hehehe...the thing is, some people on here would be creaming themselves if we paid 2 million for him, they actually would!

They seem to think we have to pay a fee for a player to be any good. Clueless comes to mind.

Will Hoskins turned out be World class did he!.
I could name a few others but why bother...

You get what you pay for in most cases.

raba

Jun 9, 2013
Thanks, but I am sure I read a blog that Bozza posted quoting a guy sayingbhe wasn't much of a tackler but is great passer and good free kick/penalty taker

I don't know the player myself so couldn't comment. Football though, different people have different opinions about players attributes.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Will Hoskins turned out be World class did he!.
I could name a few others but why bother...

You get what you pay for in most cases.

And your point is?

I stand by what I said - If we paid 2m for him some people would be creaming. I imagine you to be one of them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

raba.

Thanks, I was wondering why we'd signed yet another midfielder but from what you say Holla will be a 1st choice. Sounds good :thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The main thing is that Holla is easy to find on Dream League.

Having fun trying to keep my son's team "up to date" - at the moment he can field a proper Albion XI although he usually finds a way to get Messi on... (managed to improve Stockdale to his maximum 86 and he's keeping Joe Hart out of the team for now).

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Why would i be creaming myself over a £2m player!. That's chicken feed !.

Hmm...list me all the players we've paid 2 million plus for over the years?

Then perhaps you should go back to supporting whoever it was before the Amex came along.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Hmm...list me all the players we've paid 2 million plus for over the years?

Then perhaps you should go back to supporting whoever it was before the Amex came along.

You remind me of the way some of the spurs supporters used to be on there forum, unrealistic.
Expecting quality and talent for a fraction of what other clubs are prepared and are able to pay!.

Or perhaps you think our scouting system has some incredible secret talent that can sniff out future
untapped talent that know one else can!. Really!.

I'm well prepared for the rough season ahead!. Are you?.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
You remind me of the way some of the spurs supporters used to be on there forum, unrealistic.
Expecting quality and talent for a fraction of what other clubs are prepared and are able to pay!.

Or perhaps you think our scouting system has some incredible secret talent that can sniff out future
untapped talent that know one else can!. Really!.

I'm well prepared for the rough season ahead!. Are you?.

I'm still waiting for the list of the 2mill plus signings x

Heheh...I'm a lifelong Albion fan, I was bought up on rough seasons...were you?

Edit: I rest my case

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Heheh...I'm a lifelong Albion fan, I was bought up on rough seasons...were you?

Let's see!
I went to EVERY home/away game, the year we almost got kicked out of the league, was pretty rough!.
Getting relegated from the old Division 1 (now premier) was very upsetting!.
Spending eternity in what is now the Championship, Before finally getting relegated!. was a real corker!..

So yes, I've seen some bad times.

Not sure where you think i said that we should be signing players over £2m.
But normally that's at least what you'd expect to pay for a proven half decent Championship player these days!.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Let's see!
I went to EVERY home/away game, the year we almost got kicked out of the league, was pretty rough!.
Getting relegated from the old Division 1 (now premier) was very upsetting!.
Spending eternity in what is now the Championship, Before finally getting relegated!. was a real corker!..

So yes, I've seen some bad times.

Not sure where you think i said that we should be signing players over £2m.
But normally that's at least what you'd expect to pay for a proven half decent Championship player these days!.

Still won't answer the question eh? Oh well. You said, and I quote '2 million is chicken feed'

How many 2 million quid players did Burnley buy last year by the way?

I suggest you go back to the Spurs forum kiddo xx

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Yes, there have been some massively talented players who have came from the Dutch league, however the point I was making is we can't use the league he comes from to justify his ability as there have been a tonne of duds from that league too. Alex Buttner came to Manchester United as a promising young defender, played 13 league games for them and was then sold for less than they signed him for. Ricky van Wolfswinkel had scored goals for fun in the Eredivisie and couldn't adapt to the English game. Jozy Altidore, Afonso Alves, Marco Boogers, Bryan Ruiz, Karim El Ahmadi, Leandro Bacuna, Ryan Babel etc

I'm NOT saying that Holla is going to join those ranks or that he won't be a success, I'm simply erring on the side of caution. The Dutch League is very different to English football. Some players thrive when they move over here and others don't. Like every other Brighton fan I hope we've uncovered a gem of a signing, I'm just not going to get ahead of myself until I see him play - which I'm guessing won't be for a couple of weeks (I'd hazard a guess his first start will be against Swindon in the COC). I know it isn't the NSC Way, but let's just wait until we've seen him play before we label him shit or heap expectations on top of him.

:thumbsup:

Exactly this. Whoever you sign wil be a risk. Had we got Adam Clayton, we would have had a proven quality midfielder in Championship. BUT, he may not have fiited in with the style of SH, with his colleagues, moving from up north etc etc.

Holla by comparison is almost a complete unknown; we might have an undiscovered gem, he might be Kemy 2. Hope not because we have given him 3 years but what we do know is that he is £2.5m less (potentially funds usable elsewhere or at worst keeping us well within FFP) and (we can guess) on lower wages. On the face of it, Clayton was lower risk but much more expensive; what I find a bit difficult implied by some of the posters' comments is that Holla MUST be shit as he is free and no-one else has spotted him, and anyone else we have heard of and is expensive MUST be brilliant. It doesn't work like that.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Still won't answer the question eh? Oh well. You said, and I quote '2 million is chicken feed'

How many 2 million quid players did Burnley buy last year by the way?

I suggest you go back to the Spurs forum kiddo xx

Your Question is list me all the players we've paid 2 million plus for over the years?.
Whats' the point in that!, Irrelevant!.

You assume too much Chap!, You don't get all the facts!, And Assume !.
I.e I mentioned the spurs forum, And automatically Assume I'm a Spurs Fan!.

Try registering on more then just NSC, take a look around and really see what's going on!.

What's your point on Burnley!, They didnt need to pay exuberant signing on fees,
When they can just offer double the wages with there FFP workaround parachute Payments.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Football though, different people have different opinions about players attributes.
Indeed they do, and I have it on good authority from several people who have no idea who he is, that he's shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here