Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why is it so hard for people to admit the club has dropped a large one on this move?

£13M wouldn't buy you a mid range Championship defender let alone a seasoned professional with recent Premier league pedigree who was actually getting rave reviews.

I pity anyone who thinks this was a good deal for Brighton.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

There's someone else called Tony that you're pitying and, just for that, but not only that, I pity you.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why is it so hard for people to admit the club has dropped a large one on this move?

£13M wouldn't buy you a mid range Championship defender let alone a seasoned professional with recent Premier league pedigree who was actually getting rave reviews.

I pity anyone who doesn't see this for what it is. A second string defender at the back end of his career playing for a manager that will be looking to youth. He's been a brilliant servant and I like the fact that our club gave him what will probably be his only window of opportunity to play for his boyhood club.

The club make no secret of the fact that they don't stand in anyone's way and allow potential suitors to talk, eg Ashworth.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

A few of the Saudi fans seem to agree with you from their comments in their local rag :

"Well played Dan Burn. Just the type of player the club have needed for a long while. What a snip at £13m. Brighton must be gutted we got him for peanuts in relative terms. If the defence carries on like this then objective one will be achieved with ease."

"How good must Brighton's defenders be to let Dan Burn go for such a small fee. We've got an established Premier League centre half at the prime of his career for next to nothing. Thanks Mr Bloom."

"What a steal Big Burn looks. Missing a dominant centre back for a while and just for £13m. Happy days".

Personally I think they are going over the top a bit. After all he's only played 1 game for them!.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think we simply did BDB a MASSIVE favour, in light of the service he'd given us, and the desire he had to join his hometown club in what would likely be the final big deal of his career. He's made for life now and I wish him luck (whilst still deeply, DEEPLY wishing they go down). £13m was a pathetic fee in the current market for him, even more so considering that medieval arab scum with their bottomless pit.

We got humped in that deal, but for the right reasons I suppose. Doesn't detract from the fact that we'll not be able to replace him with £13m, without it being a punt on some obscure belgium herbert, or someone from the Championship.
Nahhhh

I think you're going well over the top.

For most of Dan burns career at Brightons hes been bang average. He's had a great season this season but last season and the season before most on here would have been happy to bin him off for a lot less than 13 mill.

Let's see if he's still a hero after 10 games for the Geordies. I reckon he won't even get in their team next season.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
People are realistic. 29 year old defender, who was not part of the starting eleven when everyone is fit, with 18 months left on his contract and £13m is a reasonable price.

People say 29 like it's 1992 and defenders retire at 31. In this day and age he has 3-4 years of top flight football in him and is just entering his physical peak.

If anything being 29 should have added to his value.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Nahhhh

I think you're going well over the top.

For most of Dan burns career at Brightons hes been bang average. He's had a great season this season but last season and the season before most on here would have been happy to bin him off for a lot less than 13 mill.

Let's see if he's still a hero after 10 games for the Geordies. I reckon he won't even get in their team next season.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
We played him at left wing back for long periods which he definitely isn’t. CB he is a solid reliable PL player. If Dunk has a set back we are definitely going to miss him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A few of the Saudi fans seem to agree with you from their comments in their local rag :

"Well played Dan Burn. Just the type of player the club have needed for a long while. What a snip at £13m. Brighton must be gutted we got him for peanuts in relative terms. If the defence carries on like this then objective one will be achieved with ease."

"How good must Brighton's defenders be to let Dan Burn go for such a small fee. We've got an established Premier League centre half at the prime of his career for next to nothing. Thanks Mr Bloom."

"What a steal Big Burn looks. Missing a dominant centre back for a while and just for £13m. Happy days".

Personally I think they are going over the top a bit. After all he's only played 1 game for them!.

I dont think they are personally. Last season or the season before, he was a lot more inconsistent. But this season, we've all seen it with our own eyes, he has been brilliant, possibly our player of the season, and for the suggestions on here that Dunk wouldnt walk back in with Burns form says it all.

I'd suggest Dan Burn has hit his professional prime this season, he's been outstanding, he was the most versatile defender in the club, and at the height of those performances we allowed him to go for peanuts relative to what a decent PL defenders cost....... and at 29 years old there's still a good few years left in the tank........ the arab fans are right, he was a bargain and we won't be able to go out and buy that level of player, playing as well as he has this season for £13m.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
People say 29 like it's 1992 and defenders retire at 31. In this day and age he has 3-4 years of top flight football in him and is just entering his physical peak.

He could absolutely have 3-4 years left in him at a very high level but when you buy someone who is 29 they are usually going to have a very limited re-sale value which affects how much a club wants to pay for them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I dont think they are personally. Last season or the season before, he was a lot more inconsistent. But this season, we've all seen it with our own eyes, he has been brilliant, possibly our player of the season, and for the suggestions on here that Dunk wouldnt walk back in with Burns form says it all.

I'd suggest Dan Burn has hit his professional prime this season, he's been outstanding, he was the most versatile defender in the club, and at the height of those performances we allowed him to go for peanuts relative to what a decent PL defenders cost....... and at 29 years old there's still a good few years left in the tank........ the arab fans are right, he was a bargain and we won't be able to go out and buy that level of player, playing as well as he has this season for £13m.

This is absolute rubbish!!

One thing he really, really is not, is ‘versatile’. He’s proven this year to be a pretty solid centre back. At full back he is really, really average.

If you think that makes him more versatile than the brilliant (at RB, RWB and CB) Joel Veltman, I despair.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This is absolute rubbish!!

One thing he really, really is not, is ‘versatile’. He’s proven this year to be a pretty solid centre back. At full back he is really, really average.

If you think that makes him more versatile than the brilliant (at RB, RWB and CB) Joel Veltman, I despair.

Well I beg to differ HKFC, he's been good at LB,LWB and CB. He has also moved the ball a bit quicker out of defence which has corresponded with an uptick in performances, and isnt afraid to run with it, similar to Webster.

I really dont think he's any less versatile than Veltman and he's better in the air. As a natural FB veltman is of course better.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well I beg to differ HKFC, he's been good at LB,LWB and CB. He has also moved the ball a bit quicker out of defence which has corresponded with an uptick in performances, and isnt afraid to run with it, similar to Webster.

I really dont think he's any less versatile than Veltman and he's better in the air. As a natural FB veltman is of course better.

Personally I’ve never viewed BDB the same as AW in this respect

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Let's hope Championship chairmen remember this whenever they want to buy Ostigard, Van Hecke or Clarke then, whichever of those we decide to move on!

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

I agree in general but this is contextual depending on the club and the situation. Firstly, now the “richest club in the world”, resale value is a term Newcastle need no longer worry about, to a degree.

Also, the sheer value of staying in the league alone should have inflated this move above £20m for a proven PL CB at the shy age of 29.

I’m not too precious about it though. Just bemused the club would have done this deal for such a derisory fee given the time and place Newcastle are in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree in general but this is contextual depending on the club and the situation. Firstly, now the “richest club in the world”, resale value is a term Newcastle need no longer worry about, to a degree.

Also, the sheer value of staying in the league alone should have inflated this move above £20m for a proven PL CB at the shy age of 29.

I’m not too precious about it though. Just bemused the club would have done this deal for such a derisory fee given the time and place Newcastle are in.

You agree in general...

...with yourself?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Maybe NUFC wouldn’t go any higher and given that BDB was keen on the move and his contract was running down maybe it was the best we could get? Potter may also want to bring one or two of the on loan central defenders into the squad next season and didn’t want to offer him a new contract. All conjecture but Albion are no longer a club that have to sell so maybe there was more to this move than meets the eye?

Should we demand an NSC rep or 10 be appointed to the recruitment and strategy division of the club. From some of the comments on this thread it seems they need some better advice :wink:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

The transfer was about Dan Burn.

Let’s look at the facts.

He was clearly very respected at the club but had asked to leave.

He would have signed for Newcastle during next year’s summer window on a free.

We’ve been paid about £720k per month compensation. If they paid that compensation to buy him out of a 5 year contract, we’d be looking at a transfer value of £43m.

Could we have kept him at the club and denied him his boyhood dream? Sure. But he was so well liked here, the club were incredibly respectful of his wishes and made the transfer happen and rightly so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The transfer was about Dan Burn.

Let’s look at the facts.

He was clearly very respected at the club but had asked to leave.

He would have signed for Newcastle during next year’s summer window on a free.

We’ve been paid about £720k per month compensation. If they paid that compensation to buy him out of a 5 year contract, we’d be looking at a transfer value of £43m.

Could we have kept him at the club and denied him his boyhood dream? Sure. But he was so well liked here, the club were incredibly respectful of his wishes and made the transfer happen and rightly so.

It's not even that wordie.

Bought for £4m.
Got many millions worth of game time.
Sold for £13m, in the last realistic transfer window.

If only all transfers could be like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here