[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You are forgetting that BDB has only earned top dollar PL wages for a few years with only 18 months to go on his Albion contract. A loss of form or serious injury could leave him without the funds to finance the standard of living he wants for his family for the rest of his life. I can see the attraction of higher wages for a longer time.
Effectively he is only the petrol pump attendant!

I guarantee he's earned more in the last few years than most of us will in a lifetime and he doesn't need to go to Newcastle to ensure he contiues to earn very good money for a while yet.

But to be clear - what I am questioning is those who say 'we'd all do it for the money'. Not Dan Burn's personal motivation for taking the move.

As was generally reported he was 'relaxed' about staying or going. And as per the interview linked above, and other things he has said it's pretty clear that for him, it's not primarily about the money.

As I have recently said on a different thread, those who are led by money above all else appear to find it hardest to believe that other people have different motivations. Luckily, and despite the best efforts of a generation of right wing economists and politcians, the majority of people still refuse to behave like 'homo economicus'.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I guarantee he's earned more in the last few years than most of us will in a lifetime and he doesn't need to go to Newcastle to ensure he contiues to earn very good money for a while yet.

But to be clear - what I am questioning is those who say 'we'd all do it for the money'. Not Dan Burn's personal motivation for taking the move.

As was generally reported he was 'relaxed' about staying or going. And as per the interview linked above, and other things he has said it's pretty clear that for him, it's not primarily about the money.

As I have recently said on a different thread, those who are led by money above all else appear to find it hardest to believe that other people have different motivations. Luckily, and despite the best efforts of a generation of right wing economists and politcians, the majority of people still refuse to behave like 'homo economicus'.

I don’t doubt his genuine thoughts about Newcastle and Brighton (“and stuff”) and he comes across very well in the interview, however what else would/could be say? No way he could say that “the money is fantastic and despite the Saudi owners I …”

Left wing, right wing, centre or whatever, we all have a conscience, morals, ethics, etc and have to live with/by them, alongside our needs and wants.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
How many here would turn down life changing money, financial security for life for you and the family in exchange for two years work with Saudi’s doing exactly what you do now? Easy to criticise others when you don’t have that opportunity in front of you.

But the alternative is not nothing. Chris Wood is a premier league footballer. He will earn life changing amounts wherever he plays. But he CHOSE to work for the Saudis.

Maybe he, like you clearly, can abandon any morals if the price is right.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unless he's been building up gambling debts or something, he was already in receipt of 'life changing money and financial security'.

I've turned down opportunities to earn more plenty of times in my career because I didn't want to work for that employer, for a variety of reasons. I have always had the luxury of earning sufficient (not premier league footballer amounts, but sufficient). I would never judge anyone for taking a job when that isn't the case. But for Howe and Burn, 'more money' isn't an excuse. For Burn I understand the desire to play for his childhood team, and to move back home, albeit I wish he hadn't gone. For Howe, not so much.

Don’t think Howe was in the frame for any other PL jobs…………what’s he supposed to do ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yeah, I watched it and was taken with what a decent bloke he is. He's blown away to be back at Newcastle, obviously a huge fan. That's what's so horrible about the premier league allowing a murderous regime to take over Newcastle. For fans, it's almost impossible to move away from a club that's in our blood. Listening to BDB I actually feel sorry for decent-minded Newcastle fans - love for the club tempered by the rank sportwashing that Man City started (all forgotten now as they're so 'good'). Football has truly sold its soul and sold out us fans.

Spot on, and well done for bringing City in. Ditto Chelsea, with their repellent fans.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But the alternative is not nothing. Chris Wood is a premier league footballer. He will earn life changing amounts wherever he plays. But he CHOSE to work for the Saudis.

Maybe he, like you clearly, can abandon any morals if the price is right.
Like me??? I was asking a question that was all, never mentioned what I would do personally. Get your facts straight, thanks.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless he's been building up gambling debts or something, he was already in receipt of 'life changing money and financial security'.

I've turned down opportunities to earn more plenty of times in my career because I didn't want to work for that employer, for a variety of reasons. I have always had the luxury of earning sufficient (not premier league footballer amounts, but sufficient). I would never judge anyone for taking a job when that isn't the case. But for Howe and Burn, 'more money' isn't an excuse. For Burn I understand the desire to play for his childhood team, and to move back home, albeit I wish he hadn't gone. For Howe, not so much.

And your lucrative career is certain to come to a dead stop in your early or mid thirties is it? The higher ground is, of course, always available to those rhat can aford it. True, even on his Brighton wages Dan Burn isn't going to be a pauper, but absolutely securing his family's future plus playing for his boyhood club is not a problem except for the most sanctimonious, is it?
(Granted, in your post you've given BDB a bit of leeway. Fair enough).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Having got their way into premier football, they are now about to **** up international golf too!!!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sadly, after all of this, we now have £13m of blood-stained arab cash washing around in the BHA coffers. "It is what it is", as GP would suck his teeth and say.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
If the Premier League will allow people like this as owners, you cant really blame players for signing for them! The whole league is accepting the regime at Newcastle.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How many here would turn down life changing money, financial security for life for you and the family in exchange for two years work with Saudi’s doing exactly what you do now? Easy to criticise others when you don’t have that opportunity in front of you.

What difference do you think the money will make to Eddie Howe's life? Even bigger house?
Having your head removed for a confession of terrorism extracted by torture, after being arrested at a protest against your countries human rights abuses, that is life changing.
Is there anyone you wouldn't work for, even if the pay was life changing?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Sadly, after all of this, we now have £13m of blood-stained arab cash washing around in the BHA coffers. "It is what it is", as GP would suck his teeth and say.

Your succinct and tongue in cheek post, does also raise an interesting point for all those sanctimonious angels attacking Howe, Chris Wood or even BDB for "taking blood money from Saudia"

Should Bloom now be donating that 13m rather than keeping it? seeing after all as its source if from the same "Saudia blood money"

How do the primroses feel about 13m of Saudia money sitting in the BHAFC bank accounts?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Your succinct and tongue in cheek post, does also raise an interesting point for all those sanctimonious angels attacking Howe, Chris Wood or even BDB for "taking blood money from Saudia"

Should Bloom now be donating that 13m rather than keeping it? seeing after all as its source if from the same "Saudia blood money"

How do the primroses feel about 13m of Saudia money sitting in the BHAFC bank accounts?

In fairness and on reflection I can hardly complain, being as I've been quite vocal of the opinion that we should have extracted MORE than £13m of that blood money for BDB from the murderers.

Its a moral quagmire.

Giggity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports