Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Dame Alison Rose resigns

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
See post #164.
Another pivot. I thought your original argument was that they could get rid of people they did not like/have aligned views.

Post 164 suggests he could have got rid of for entirely different reasons.
You are spinning like a top!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Grand Hotel is part of a private hotel chain for the privileged, is it entirely up to them also which law abiding and previous guests are allowed to return and which are banned or offered the travelodge as an alternative?

What if they leaked all your private, confidential info to the national press who ran an article and claimed you couldn't anymore afford the rooms, when you could.

But as hotel owners were former Eton Tory toffs, they had a dossier that the real resom was they just didn't like you because you were a gay rights activist, or a hardcore leftwing union activist/protestor?

Would that also be deemed an acceptable choice by the Grand?

Nah, I thought not.
1) I haven't actually commented on the leaking of confidential information. For the record I don’t agree with this.
2) If The Grand decided they didn’t want my custom for the reasons you give, I’d be disappointed and go around the corner to Hotel Du Vin. Or maybe I’d go abroad to Ibiza or something, some nice hotels there.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another pivot. I thought your original argument was that they could get rid of people they did not like/have aligned views.

Post 164 suggests he could have got rid of for entirely different reasons.
You are spinning like a top!
I’m not spinning at all, this would be hard given I have have a very very simple view of this issue which I have re-iterated numerous times now. My point about post 164 is that it’s a private bank….a point I also made. This is all.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Yes I see it’s a simple argument which is the problem.
It’s clearly distorted by your view of Farage, to such an extent that you can’t see the wider implications of being being refused a service if they have a different political opinion. One day it may bite you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes I see it’s a simple argument which is the problem.
It’s clearly distorted by your view of Farage, to such an extent that you can’t see the wider implications of being being refused a service if they have a different political opinion. One day it may bite you.
The whole point of customer service is the service provider has terms and conditions. The provider, no matter what the service is, has the right to withdraw the service.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The whole point of customer service is the service provider has terms and conditions. The provider, no matter what the service is, has the right to withdraw the service.
Is that right though? Thinking of the single sex marriage cake thing?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
But should he have? What you're saying is that if your local water board decides they're sick of Just Stop Oil, they can refuse to supply water to the people involved. Is that really true?

The point is if there is a line at which the supplier can refuse to sell something because they don't like their customer's face, it should be drawn very low. There must be times when it is just not right to serve someone for non-commercial reasons, and IMO with the way money works nowadays, being deprived of an account is too serious a matter to be used on a whim. (Which this was.)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think the real contention here is that as much as we all dislike Farage, and most of us do, you can’t withdraw services from him anymore than you can withdraw a cake making service because you don’t agree with same sex marriage.

He’s not done anything illegal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But should he have? What you're saying is that if your local water board decides they're sick of Just Stop Oil, they can refuse to supply water to the people involved. Is that really true?
No it isnt, there's rules and regulations regarding public utilites like this; this has been addressed previously in this thread. The difference is Coutts is a private bank.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The problem with having an equal, tolerant, and fair society is that sometimes we have to tolerate fuckers like Farage.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I think the real contention here is that as much as we all dislike Farage, and most of us do, you can’t withdraw services from him anymore than you can withdraw a cake making service because you don’t agree with same sex marriage.

He’s not done anything illegal.
Is that strictly true?

You cant decline to make a cake because you don’t agree with same sex marriage, because that's homophobic and discriminatory, but can a private business decline because someone's pollical views don't align with the corporation's views?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The point is if there is a line at which the supplier can refuse to sell something because they don't like their customer's face, it should be drawn very low. There must be times when it is just not right to serve someone for non-commercial reasons, and IMO with the way money works nowadays, being deprived of an account is too serious a matter to be used on a whim. (Which this was.)
Silly analogy because by law, nobody can have their water supply terminated, even those who don't pay their bills.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is that strictly true?

You cant decline to make a cake because you don’t agree with same sex marriage, because that's homophobic, but can a private business decline because someone's pollical views don't align with the corporation's views?
That wasn't the ruling and Ashers Bakery won their case.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No it isnt, there's rules and regulations regarding public utilites like this; this has been addressed previously in this thread. The difference is Coutts is a private bank.
He's now declared war on all the 'woke banks'. Heaven help the Cooperative Bank.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
That wasn't the ruling and Ashers Bakery won their case.
Just looked into it a bit. Because it was the message they refused to effectively print, that was deemed OK, they weren't discriminating about the people who requested it. If they had however refused to make a cake on the basis that a gay person had asked for it, then that would have been discriminatory, I think?

So, legally, can Coutts shut down Farage's bank account because they don't want to be associated with him due to his political beliefs?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
another thing is what happens to ESG policies now. compliance with ESG was noted as the reasons to exit Farage. many seem to be saying, well we have to put up with Farage. it follows we have to put up other people and organisations everything else we dont like, ESG policies are pretty redundnant.

enjoying the the twists and turns of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here