[Politics] Dame Alison Rose resigns

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
These are the facts as I understand them.

1. Nigel Farage was 'debanked' for holding views that were not in alignment with Coutts bank, nothing to do with whether he fell below the banks financial threshold.
2. Alison Rose then briefed a BBC journalist about the financial business of one of the banks customers (Nigel Farage)

If this were a non story as some of you are saying and there was no wrongdoing then why have both Alison Rose and now the Coutts Bank boss both resigned?
He wasn't "de-banked". He was offered an account with another part of the same group. You or I won't get a Coutts account either - both of us could bank with NatWest.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Farage was offered an alternative NatWest account. This is merely a privately-owned posh members club bank, and an individual with an over-extended sense of entitlement.

Before this story who had ever heard of banks excluding ordinary people? The British people are being played here by Farage, the right-wing media and an opportunistic government.

Nat West is almost 40% owned by the taxpayer and Alison Rose was presiding over a large increase in profitability, so benefitting us all. Farage has f*cked us yet again.
2 City big guns lose their head and it's Nige's fault?

:lolol:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
The behaviour of some of the higher echelons of Nat West/ Coutts bank has been disgraceful. People are now resigning and rightly so, forget for a moment it's Nigel Farage and think what you would do if the same had been done to you, even Kier Starmer is now wading into this on the side of Farage.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
He wasn't "de-banked". He was offered an account with another part of the same group. You or I won't get a Coutts account either - both of us could bank with NatWest.
There was an issue over what type of a bank account was offered, Farage says it wasn't a business account.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
There was an issue over what type of a bank account was offered, Farage says it wasn't a business account.
That's his choice. Furthermore, if he's after a business account that suggests he already has a personal account - so very much not 'de-banked'.

Banks have a legal obligation to be happy with the source of money coming into any account, especially a business account and even more especially for a PEP. Kier Starmer is subject to exactly the same checks BTW.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
That's his choice. Furthermore, if he's after a business account that suggests he already has a personal account - so very much not 'de-banked'.

Banks have a legal obligation to be happy with the source of money coming into any account, especially a business account and even more especially for a PEP. Kier Starmer is subject to exactly the same checks BTW.
But he might need a business account like wot he had at Coutts. and whats all this about Banks have a legal obligation to be happy with the source of money coming in etc there is no suggestion and nobody has suggested in the media that he was debanked for having dodgy money coming into his account. :shrug: muddying the waters GB ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But he might need a business account like wot he had at Coutts. and whats all this about Banks have a legal obligation to be happy with the source of money coming in etc there is no suggestion and nobody has suggested in the media that he was debanked for having dodgy money coming into his account. :shrug: muddying the waters GB ?
So we've moved from 'debanked by woke banks' to 'might need a business account'. Again, not everyone is entitled to a business account. What I've quoted about AML and PEP checks is UK banking law but I'm sure a smart chap like yourself knows that,

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

There's no suggestion of illicit or illegal funds credited to the bank account. A Labour MP fibbed/got mixed up in the Commons, he hasn't had the bottle to repeat it outside.

Regarding PEP, Farage had already been downgraded to Coutts lowest category, the same as any other UK politician after straight forward CDD.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
So we've moved from 'debanked by woke banks' to 'might need a business account'. Again, not everyone is entitled to a business account. What I've quoted about AML and PEP checks is UK banking law but I'm sure a smart chap like yourself knows that,
Irrelevant to the current discussion re Nigel Farage, because he was debanked for the views that he held and nothing else, I thought that was now common knowledge.

Christ, If I were ever to be up in front of the beak GB, you would be the last person I'd want to see on the Jury :geek:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
M

But there is something in place. The 9 biggest banks are legally required to provide basic banking services. This has already been highlighted.

Can you not just read the thread before you wade in?
We aren't all blessed with your encyclopaedic memory of every word printed on every thread. My apologies if I missed a line on here somewhere, and to answer the question, no I am not going to re-read the whole thread to see where it was.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Which includes our present prime minister, who worked with the hedge fund TCI, signing on with Chris Hohn’s Children’s Investment Fund Management, becoming a partner in September 2006 and staying until November 2009.
No whataboutterry from me. This thread is about DAR, but yes, the PM is as close to the banks as he could be.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
There's no suggestion of illicit or illegal funds credited to the bank account. A Labour MP fibbed/got mixed up in the Commons, he hasn't had the bottle to repeat it outside.

Regarding PEP, Farage had already been downgraded to Coutts lowest category, the same as any other UK politician after straight forward CDD.
Yes, but GB is insinuating that there is.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
My point is, if you accept that he was debanked for his views and nothing else, then you have to be concerned about this. If you take away the farage effect in all this, how would people feel if say Greta Thunberg had her account closed due to her position on climate change, or Jeremy Corbyn had his accounts closed because of his support for some terrorist organisations. If that wouldn't bother you then ok, it certainly would me.
Banks are not moral arbiters, they are there to make financial decisions and look after their customers accounts only, anything else is a slippery slope.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The whole point of customer service is the service provider has terms and conditions. The provider, no matter what the service is, has the right to withdraw the service.
What was your opinion of the Irish cake company refusing same sex cake on grounds of religious beliefs?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes, but GB is insinuating that there is.
No, I'm saying that UK Banking Law asks for stronger checks on PEPs because of the RISK of them being more susceptible to bribery or corruption. That's actually what Farage is complaining about.

His language, however, is playing it as 'no bank accounts for right wingers thanks to woke banks'. Which is bollocks.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
As I understand it, he was de-banked because of his views not because of his wealth. He put a FOI request in which admitted as much and caused the subsequent shit storm

Fair play to Farage, he knows how to get publicity. In the rounds, it's come out that Ken Clarke has had banking withdrawn because he is "politically exposed" He's probably stumbled on an issue even if I couldn't give a monkeys about

These are the facts as I understand them.

1. Nigel Farage was 'debanked' for holding views that were not in alignment with Coutts bank, nothing to do with whether he fell below the banks financial threshold, as originally stated.
2. Alison Rose then briefed a BBC journalist about the financial business of one of the banks customers (Nigel Farage)

If this were a non story as some of you are saying and there was no wrongdoing then why have both Alison Rose and now the Coutts Bank boss both resigned?
1- I think all that's definite is that he his political views formed some part of the decision. I've seen nothing that's says it's solely to it with. The issue with the leak and the BBC article was the source said it played no part

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What was your opinion of the Irish cake company refusing same sex cake on grounds of religious beliefs?

What's same sex cake? Does cake have more than one sex these days now too, bloody hell, where will it end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports