Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
All moving to a natural conclusion ( like Ulloa ) We are holding out for a particular figure and Burnley are edging towards it. One more improved bid and he has gone.

I can see why you might think that but somehow I think this time it's different. We'll see soon enough.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
No player is irreplaceable but Dale would be very difficult if not impossible to replace in 2 days. He is therefore worth a lot more to us than Burnley's paltry offer. Also, Dack (not signed anyway) is NOT a Dale replacement; he is a Pritchard alternative.

IS STEPHENS PLAYING NOW THEN
he might just as well be away playing for whoever as us making an offer for Dack or whoever else the club have on the horizon

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Dack plays in front of a midfield 2.

for the Gills maybe .......................but with the Albion who knows
what I was trying to say is that Dack playing anywhere CH wants him too is better than having Stephens playing nowhere

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All moving to a natural conclusion ( like Ulloa ) We are holding out for a particular figure and Burnley are edging towards it. One more improved bid and he has gone.
Did you just get off the phone to Tony?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
what I was trying to say is that Dack playing anywhere CH wants him too is better than having Stephens playing nowhere

Yes, but our reported interest in Dack is to play him in an advanced position, which is also the position he wants to play in and the position he is considered best playing in.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
IS STEPHENS PLAYING NOW THEN
he might just as well be away playing for whoever as us making an offer for Dack or whoever else the club have on the horizon

Did I say anything about Dale playing!? Thought not...

Your second sentence needs work, but I repeat that Dack is not Dale's replacement...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Do you remember what happened with Dunk? I'm really pleased we didn't just wave goodbye, he stayed on an improved contract, and excelled... here's hoping for the same outcome for Dale.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you remember what happened with Dunk? I'm really pleased we didn't just wave goodbye, he stayed on an improved contract, and excelled... here's hoping for the same outcome for Dale.

I think Stephens is a tougher nut to crack, he is not a Sussex boy and probably feels no affinity or loyalty towards us.

I am starting to wonder if the club have told him to put in a transfer request if he wants to leave while continuing to refuse a new contract here. That would put a big dent in how much he would pocket from a move. Who will blink first?

I expect him to be gone by the deadline, either way.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think Stephens is a tougher nut to crack, he is not a Sussex boy and probably feels no affinity or loyalty towards us.

I am starting to wonder if the club have told him to put in a transfer request if he wants to leave while continuing to refuse a new contract here. That would put a big dent in how much he would pocket from a move. Who will blink first?

I expect him to be gone by the deadline, either way.
Only if Burnley or anyone else meets Tony Blooms valuation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that TB holds firm and we then see what will happen. Depends how much TB is prepared to lose a few millions if he sees his contract out then leaves for free.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope that TB holds firm and we then see what will happen. Depends how much TB is prepared to lose a few millions if he sees his contract out then leaves for free.

There is also the possibility that Stephens could go "stroppy" if he doesn't get a move

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Are club willing to hold onto DS until January window and then look again based on our position.
£10m bid which inc add ons must be the bid to make us waiver.
CH would not include him in squad if he was causing an issue.

Was there at Newcstle and we were bullied in midfield as his size and presence was missing.
So was Kayal's mojo..

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the last part of that. I know that I was only watching on the telly-box but it looked to me like Kayal was pulling a double shift and getting overwhelmed.
Sidecar Steve looked too frightened to tackle and his passing was atrocious.
I don't think anybody could accuse our Man of Steel for lack of effort.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am starting to wonder if the club have told him to put in a transfer request if he wants to leave while continuing to refuse a new contract here. That would put a big dent in how much he would pocket from a move.
There's no need for him to do that, he's within his rights to play out his contract. Given that we want to get promoted, I'd think we'd rather he play than be in the reserves.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Big fan of the thread title here.

Stephens Burnley-Argus would make an excellent name for a posh person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here