Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Seems like he wants a move (money, location and fulfilling his PL dream. Mainly money though) and Burnley want him. Thing is we want him too. It's a difficult situation and unless Burnley stump up his correct transfer fee (c£10m) he's staying here.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I would agree with this.

You agree with what? That the Albion deliberately made public Burnley's paltry offer because they want more money for Stephens? I don't, but perhaps you know that this is the case?

Or perhaps you are just saying the source of the story is the Albion? As I said before, I read that article as a whole as 'hands off our best players'... do you?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I think the transfer window should actually SHUT before the season starts.
We wouldn't have had have the aggravations with a player that defo wants a quick route to the Premier league, as he would have either been sold, or be the heart of out midfield engine, rather than be made to act like the naughty schoolboy, and be on the fringes of being involved.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well Burnley clearly want Jeff Hendricks but don't look like they're going to get him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think the transfer window should actually SHUT before the season starts.
We wouldn't have had have the aggravations with a player that defo wants a quick route to the Premier league, as he would have either been sold, or be the heart of out midfield engine, rather than be made to act like the naughty schoolboy, and be on the fringes of being involved.

That would be great wouldn't it, but is it practical with different season starts in different leagues?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
£5.5 million obviously isn't a serious bid, looks like they're hoping to unsettle him as much as they can before making the move sometime before Wednesday.
Is it really a bad deal? That's about 10x what we paid for him from a fellow championship side, and from a player who wants out and will go for free at the end of the season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My guess is Stephens is staying as no one will pay the 'silly money' fee required.

And that he'll start v Brentford at the Amex.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You agree with what? That the Albion deliberately made public Burnley's paltry offer because they want more money for Stephens? I don't, but perhaps you know that this is the case?

Or perhaps you are just saying the source of the story is the Albion? As I said before, I read that article as a whole as 'hands off our best players'... do you?

Sorry, I agree that the most likely source of the story is Barber -> Naylor. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yet again, a football club try and play poker with one of the best poker players in the world. A lot of rubbish is spoken about Bloom's poker playing regarding budgets. But what he is world class at is reading people. Stop low balling, Burnley.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, I agree that the most likely source of the story is Barber -> Naylor. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Fair enough, but...

... would you spill the beans if you did know? And...

... are we signing a second striker / number 10?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it really a bad deal? That's about 10x what we paid for him from a fellow championship side
We paid £2.5m or so from CMS. We had to pay his whole contract and got nothing back. That's the way it goes. Stephens is an excellent player, he's improved further since joining us and prices have gone up in that time too. How much we paid is irrelevant really.

and from a player who wants out and will go for free at the end of the season.
Has he told you he wants to go? The fact that he only has a year left does make it more difficult for us, but we really want to get promoted this season, and that becomes a lot harder if you sell someone as important to the side as Stephens.

Losing Stephens would be a big dent to our promotion hopes. Losing him for £5.5m would be complete stupidity.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We paid £2.5m or so from CMS. We had to pay his whole contract and got nothing back. That's the way it goes. Stephens is an excellent player, he's improved further since joining us and prices have gone up in that time too. How much we paid is irrelevant really.

Has he told you he wants to go? The fact that he only has a year left does make it more difficult for us, but we really want to get promoted this season, and that becomes a lot harder if you sell someone as important to the side as Stephens.

Losing Stephens will be a big dent to our promotion hopes. Losing him for £5.5m would be complete stupidity.

This, with great big bells on...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports