Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Great news, hopefully the return of the Kayal and Stephens partnership!

Don't know how many travel but I assume will be in squad. Although I'd imagine more travel than needed in case of illness / injury etc...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Already thought he'd play before confirmation of travel.

He'll start IMO.

Risking egg on face but would be most satisfying after reading some truly disparaging bollocks on here.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
i agree with what i think the majority of the sentiments on here say.. Ch has decided not to select stephens in recent games because for whatever reason, and many of think that is because of the transfer speculation, he is not ready/able. That doesn't mean that stephens isn't willing to play. Ch is right too.. If there is any doubt in his mind that stephens performance could be less than what he accepts, then he is right to leave him out as he has done. That no deal has been done yet means that the possibility of ds staying for now remains, and he needs to be careful not to damage his relationship woith the player, or indeed do what he can to ensure that the environment that ds would be staying in is as positive as possible. Again, i think ch is right to do that. The fact that ds and his representatives have been quiet say to me that they respect and recognize the same things. These ultimately are the things that separates ch (and the club) from many other managers.. The easy thing to do would be to tell us where things are, hang ds out to dry, divert blame and focus to the player etc, in the name of "honest, straight talking", and then try and deal with the fall-out if you end up keeping the player.. We have no right to know, and being economical with truth without lying is what is needed in some man-management situations..

I demand that Houghtin comes round my house, makes me a cup of tea and tells me absolutely everything. After all I give the club the equivalent of 1/10 of a decent player's weekly wage a year, therefore I deserve the truth. The club is a disgrace

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Anyone in the world still genuinely buying the "extra training" story?! I can believe Hughton when he categorically denies Stephens refusing to play. But I can also completely believe the club and Stephens together deciding it's best for him not to play these couple of games whilst a potential transfer is sorted out.

Withdrawal of labour occurs with a dispute, refusal to honour existing contract, not new working practices in football (that only happens on the railways?). It would seem unlikely.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Don't know how many travel but I assume will be in squad. Although I'd imagine more travel than needed in case of illness / injury etc...

Can't imagine Stephens would travel if he wasn't going to be in the 18.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Really hope he plays... I know he will give his all if he is picked, and we need our very best available team out today... he is not Liam B after all...

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Can't imagine Stephens would travel if he wasn't going to be the 18.

Precisely. He didnt travel to Reading. Shorter distance i know but supposedly according to some he had refused to travel. Why would he now on that basis be willing to travel

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Withdrawal of labour occurs with a dispute, refusal to honour existing contract, not new working practices in football (that only happens on the railways?). It would seem unlikely.

Homer-Simpson-Zoned-Out.gif

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Can't imagine Stephens would travel if he wasn't going to be the 18.

This. Infact, why would he travel and not be in the starting 11? Kayal is an intense, driven and hard man, he will look 'laid back Dale' in the eyes and demand that he starts next to him today.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Precisely. He didnt travel to Reading. Shorter distance i know but supposedly according to some he had refused to travel. Why would he now on that basis be willing to travel

It is possible CH said you are not going to be in tre squad v Reading would you rather come and watch or do some extra training and he chose the latter. so both are correct he didnt refuse to travel. but chose not to.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
There has been absolutely nothing on Stephens's Twitter account for three weeks since the mysterious and sudden disappearance of a "tweet" from a former Rochdale team-mate congratulating him on his "move back up north".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't imagine Stephens would travel if he wasn't going to be in the 18.
Unless Burnley don't have any helicopters available and the Albion said they'd drop him off, on the way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unless Burnley don't have any helicopters available and the Albion said they'd drop him off, on the way.
You, Sir, are a p..s taking waste of space who knows nothing. A friend of mine was a working jockey not a top name but well known and he used helicopters to get to race courses that were any distance from home., not his own I might add

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So getting personally abusive helps does it?

I can take a joke as well as anybody and possibly deserve it at times but you have to draw a line under what is originally a joke and a p..s take when it has run its course but he is one of a few that offer nothing constructive whether it be right or wrong and keep on too long.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think there might be a kettle and pot somewhere in this thread.

Btw, in case anyone is interested.

[tweet]769551782766899200[/tweet]

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
All bets for a transfer are off now. We need his goals.

Never thought Burnley were in with a chance. Other clubs maybe?

PS: Hendrick did not play for Derby on TV. Why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here