Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Plan C is probably a League One striker so best avoided given our record with them :lolol:

Plan C (if there was one) wouldn't have been any worse than the fake ''so called certain signings'' named on here of Russell Martin and Lee Gregory.

I am still keeping the faith until around 8pm. If nothing starts to break by then, well it probably isn't going to happen

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The flip side would be Derby come in for DS to replace Hendrick.

They have bid for Stephens previously so this might not be totally out of the realms of possibility. As we know, Derby like to stockpile at high prices, so this is a signing they're probably quite keen on now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
they aren't anymore. no more loans until January.
Perhaps I am wrong.

I thought I read that only the loan window for emergency loans had been discontinued, and youth loans ( as we had with James Wilson ) were as before ?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
They have bid for Stephens previously so this might not be totally out of the realms of possibility. As we know, Derby like to stockpile at high prices, so this is a signing they're probably quite keen on now.

Yep, apparently we've told them we'd take £8.2m but they're sticking to their guns and saying they won't pay any less than £11m so it's deadlock at the moment.

Come on gang, we can get this thread up to 100 pages before 6pm! Let's do it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Perhaps I am wrong.

I thought I read that only the loan window for emergency loans had been discontinued, and youth loans ( as we had with James Wilson ) were as before ?

Sorry mate. All change. No more loans, youth loans or , in our case, emergency striker loans like Bent, Best or Wilson. Until January window opens again.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The flip side would be Derby come in for DS to replace Hendrick.

Wouldn't surprise me. Does DS really want to go to Burnley anyway. I think that if he did we would have surely accepted £7m.

All Burnley have got going for them is that they are in the prem (this season). Other than that they have a bog standard 22k capacity ground and constantly booiung fans with six fingers on each hand. Even though the hostility at Turf Moor is towards the opposition and the officials, they still create an odd atmosphere to play in front of week in week out.

It's not the sort of place you want to take your WAG's or children to.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
If we keep Stephens, and if he doesn't sulk and plays full out to his best ability alongside Kayak I won't be too unhappy with this summer's business. Yes, it would have been nice (still would be!) to get a fast, skilful, 20+ goal striker in, but if we have Kayal and Stephens firing on all cylinders (and we've got pretty decent back up to cover injuries and suspensions - which we have) there are goals throughout this team.
Once AK and Skalak arrived last season, we scored plenty - with effectively only two properly fit strikers (Bobby Z had finally reached his last legs, and Wilson..........enough said!)

I hope you're right but there's a lot of ifs in that. I repeat, unless Stephens does a complete volte-face, in my mind, he may as well not be here. Bloom, Barber and CH, not to mention us, the fans, are rightly angry with him. I suspect for many fans, its too late - he's well and truly burnt his bridges. It will be interesting to see what CH does with him but my line is if players don't want to be here, there's no point in keeping them. We should have sold him.
On the striker issue, if we want promotion, which is Bloom's publicly stated aim this season, then a new goalscorer wasn't just nice but essential.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Wouldn't surprise me. Does DS really want to go to Burnley anyway. I think that if he did we would have surely accepted £7m.

All Burnley have got going for them is that they are in the prem (this season). Other than that they have a bog standard 22k capacity ground and constantly booiung fans with six fingers on each hand. Even though the hostility at Turf Moor is towards the opposition and the officials, they still create an odd atmosphere to play in front of week in week out.

Once again prejudice against Burnley rears it's head. I honestly can't stand the club or town but that is irrelevant to Stephens or anyone else in his position. There are LOADS of lovely places within half an hour drive. Do you honestly think that in his mind will be 'I'd like to play for Burnley in the premier league but the town centre isn't as nice as Brighton's'?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I hope you're right but there's a lot of ifs in that. I repeat, unless Stephens does a complete volte-face, in my mind, he may as well not be here. Bloom, Barber and CH, not to mention us, the fans, are rightly angry with him. I suspect for many fans, its too late - he's well and truly burnt his bridges. It will be interesting to see what CH does with him but my line is if players don't want to be here, there's no point in keeping them. We should have sold him.
On the striker issue, if we want promotion, which is Bloom's publicly stated aim this season, then a new goalscorer wasn't just nice but essential.

It really won't will it. Many players have handed in transfer requests, but still been here after a window and played for us.

pluginbaby

Aug 15, 2014

Turn up to see what the crack is, looks like nothing much has changed since May...

I am sure Tony Bloom will feel very happy with himself having an unhappy player who wants to leave desperately being forced to stay on a lower salary, in a lower division, against his wishes - potentially being a bad influence in the dressing room, and absolutely resulting in mixed reactions from your fan base each game.

As it is, off the record it's pretty obvious we have already got personal terms with DS agreed, hence the repeated bids. If you think £7m+ for a guy who is nearing 28, has one year left on his deal and is desperate to leave is a poor offer, that is your prerogative. I would imagine the anticipated action now by Burnley FC is to either get him for £5m-ish in January or agree a pre-contract and get him for free next summer. For a man as canny as Tony Bloom no doubt is, it seems a rather petty way of doing business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here